6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Fluctuating Temps

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fluctuating Temps

Well, it figures my 08 rolled over to 100k last month and now I have 101k and and having some interesting issues. I put on new Tires on Tuesday afternoon late. Drove it the 18 miles home and did not notice any issues. Wednesday morning, driving the 16 miles to work, I noticed that after 10 miles the Oil temp going up, then falling 6 degrees then going up. Never got over 210. Ambient temp 55 degrees. Wednesday afternoon, I had to drive to West, TX and watched the EOT and ECT driving 65 ambient temp 88. The EOT went to 220 and pretty well stayed there as the ECT would fluctuate from 208 then down to 182 back up to 204 down to 178, up to 210 then down. The oil temp would cool maybe 2 degrees but as soon as the ECT would go up obviously the EOT would climb a couple of degrees. This morning (Thursday) ambient is 61 and in the 16 miles to work, the EOT never got above the 211 mark the ECT went to 206 back to 170 and at idle it would fluctuate between 178-186 and ECT went to 202...... Thermostats? Coincidence that I put on New tires and they are the same size as originals just more agressive tread? Oil Cooler? Any ideas folks? Here I am out of Premium ESP by 1k and this happens....sheesh....

Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Put on the old tires--there easy fix

No really this sounds to me like a thermostat issue. I'd get new ones and pull them out to see.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

T-stats replaced this morning, still having the same issue....Took it on a 30 mile ride and the temps still flucuate...I took it by the Ford dealership and the Diesel tech looked at it and took it for a ride. He came back and was a little puzzled until they figured it it was the water pump. Not enough flow after doing some type of test. They then looked at the anti-freeze and there were very small pieces of metal that they strained.
Records show I have done the maintanance as scheduled and still it looks like cavitation got the best of it he said. After telling me what the water pump and labor would cost and the issues I could and will probably have since you can never get all the metal out of the cooling system......now looking at new truck.....kinda sad....

Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Wow, would not have thought that this case.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:20 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by senix
Wow, would not have thought that this case.
Exactly the same thought here. I also see on the paperwork a reported radiator leak, as this will be number 4 on this truck. They also reported an issue with one of the turbos. Estimated bill to repair is over 9k......when I saw that bottom number, I knew it was time to move on....

Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Gearitis
Exactly the same thought here. I also see on the paperwork a reported radiator leak, as this will be number 4 on this truck. They also reported an issue with one of the turbos. Estimated bill to repair is over 9k......when I saw that bottom number, I knew it was time to move on....
On a brighter note so far the 6.7 is running great. I was sad to move on myself but I have gotten over it.

Only thing I don't really like on the 6.7 is the engine braking during towing and using the tow/haul mode.

Because of the turbo it is very weak. Not near as aggressive as the 6.4.

But if you use the manual mode that works well.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by senix
On a brighter note so far the 6.7 is running great. I was sad to move on myself but I have gotten over it.

Only thing I don't really like on the 6.7 is the engine braking during towing and using the tow/haul mode.

Because of the turbo it is very weak. Not near as aggressive as the 6.4.

But if you use the manual mode that works well.
I have ordered the Reese adapter so I can use my existing 5th wheel hitch hope to hook up next weekend and give it test as I have a trip in 2 weeks for the NASCAR races in Ft. Worth. Thanks for the heads up on the engine braking I will adapt I am sure.

Good to hear On the 6.7 as I have traded the 6.4 in. At the same dealership they had a 2011, with 7100 miles, that is 7100 hundred miles no mistake. It was considered used there at the dealership. The truck was fully loaded as you can get it as a Lariat and the color I had been looking for. Made a great deal, I stayed with the 250 as I do not haul loads like some of you guys do. Picked it up saturday afternoon, so far the drive was a lot better than the 08 and the responsiveness of the 6.7 is way better and that may be to the issues outlined below.

Just a side note on the ole 08 6.4. I know all the guys in the service dept and the Sales manager at the dealership. They took me back to see what they were doing to the my ole truck saturday about noon. Remember I made the deal Thursday evening on the newer truck, the low end Turbo went out Friday morning when they were doing the drive test after repairing the water pump and Oil cooler on the 08.... The tech said that it sounded like running water on the passenger side of the truck when you stepped into the throttle. The total bill to take care of all the issues would have been over 16k to me. I took real good care of this truck, changed fluids and all regularly over the years. I feel lucky I got out of that truck when I did. I hope the 6.7 is worthy!
This forum for the 6.4 has been a God send over the years. The tips and tricks have no measure in value. If it had not been for this forum, I would have never bought the 6.4 in the first place. The 6.4 pulled like a maniac and gave me great service, just a little disappointed in the longevity of the componenents.
Off to the 6.7 side. Will check in every once in a while.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:40 PM
senix
Super Moderator
got to update your signature! Glad you did not get bitten. Really weird all of your issues happened at the same time as well.

Brighter side is the 6.7 and the second generation of the DPF/emissions is much better to deal with.