Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

04 Ranger, rough idle

Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Ranger Bob
Senior User
Ranger Bob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Seafoam crankcase directions say 1 pint treats 10 quarts of oil. I used just under 8 ounces. Just measured what was left in the bottle.

The top end was beautiful. Very clean so it proves all the oil changes work, well except for the roller problem.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
OK, good to hear the top end looks clean, so its doubtful that 8oz of Seafoam in a 5qt sump would be enough to dilute the lube enough that the pump couldn't deliver what the top end needed.
Seeing as how the top end is clean, it didn't likely cut anything loose that could have clogged up an oil passage & running it a week would have likely seen most of the SeaFoams IPA & Naphtha evaporate, so only the pale oil would remain & that shouldn't have caused mischief.
Sounds like the problem had been around for a while, just strange the top end hadn't been protesting with noise before hand.
Let us know how the rework/repair goes.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Ranger Bob
Senior User
Ranger Bob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pawpaw,

Giving another update!

I had been pondering wether to replace 1 head or 2 heads or just do a crate motor while the engine was out. While I was searching and gathering info I found a special tool that ford made for the 4.0 SOCH engines. It allows you to remove the rockers while the cam is still installed. I was certain that the #3 exhaust rocker was my problem so I searched and searched and found a used tool for $73. It's normally $150 - $225. I bought a OEM rocker for $19 and replaced it very easily with out removing the engine or doing anything major . There was slight waring on that lobe but I felt it would be ok and it is. Runs great! Smooth as butta!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Bob

Old 08-21-2012, 07:04 PM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ranger Bob View Post
Pawpaw,

Giving another update!

I had been pondering wether to replace 1 head or 2 heads or just do a crate motor while the engine was out. While I was searching and gathering info I found a special tool that ford made for the 4.0 SOCH engines. It allows you to remove the rockers while the cam is still installed. I was certain that the #3 exhaust rocker was my problem so I searched and searched and found a used tool for $73. It's normally $150 - $225. I bought a OEM rocker for $19 and replaced it very easily with out removing the engine or doing anything major . There was slight waring on that lobe but I felt it would be ok and it is. Runs great! Smooth as butta!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Bob
OK, good trouble shooting, repair & feedback & to hear all now seems well.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Fordrange
New User
Fordrange is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
OK, good trouble shooting, repair & feedback & to hear all now seems well.
So using seafoam in oil will fix the idle miss on the 3.0 motors . I m having same problem . If so how long should I leave it in there before I change oil?

Old 09-25-2016, 07:46 PM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by Fordrange View Post
So using seafoam in oil will fix the idle miss on the 3.0 motors . I m having same problem . If so how long should I leave it in there before I change oil?
Welcome to FTE.
You must be confused, I didn't read anywhere in the post you quoted me on, that claimed Seafoam in the engine oil would fix an idle miss on a 3.0L. I don't recommend adding things to a fully formulated engine oil, so as not to upset its carefully formulated synergy.

If you have a problem you'd like the forum to address, go to the forum index page here Ranger & B-Series - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums & click on the "New Thread" button, upper left of the header index stack & begin a new thread, so you get answers just for your problem.

Give as much engine (is it a flex fuel 3.0L), tranny, maintenance, repair, trouble code Numbers from a computer scan, along with the vehicle year, mileage & how the problem began detail & the forum will try to be helpful.