ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good job ED. Hope the install goes well m8

Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Are the springs to prevent the two supply bolts from backing out? Haven't seen that before, but I don't doubt it will work, cause Sonnax says it will....

If this blueprinted trans were mine, I'd paint it Ford Blue!

Pop

Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Are the springs to prevent the two supply bolts from backing out? Haven't seen that before, but I don't doubt it will work, cause Sonnax says it will....

If this blueprinted trans were mine, I'd paint it Ford Blue!

Pop
No Pop the springs and sleeves are for the IM & direct clutch feeds. Read this it will help explain it better than I can.

One of the other reasons I didn't prep it to paint is because I am not sure what color I want.

Now I had said that getting the trans on the jack was going to be hard for me by myself. Mind you I am NOT a young man and at 50 yrs old I really don't want to get hurt doing it either. I had a friend who said he would help me BUT never showed up. Thanks buddy!!!! So I did end up doing it by myself. I used blocks and ratchet straps to get it high enough to get the jack and pan cradle under it.

Laugh if you want but this is the trans pan cradle I made

Photos of the trans strapped to jack "SAFETY FIRST" Also if you look at the angle of cradle and if you see the red straps on the engine were used so I could keep the same angle coming out and made going in very easy

Does anyone have the torque spec for the cooler bypass/ cooler line bolts??

Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Does anyone have the torque spec for the cooler bypass/ cooler line bolts??
Front bolt is 22 ft-lbs. Rear is 27 ft-lbs. Just kidding, Brother! How's everything going, so far?

Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mueckster
Front bolt is 22 ft-lbs. Rear is 27 ft-lbs. Just kidding, Brother! How's everything going, so far?
Thanks Brother!! I didn't see it in the manual. But I was really tired last night as I got to that point. I should have knew you would have or should I say you would know what the spec was.

So all I have left is wiring, drive shaft, cooler lines, ext. trans filter,down pipe, IC pipes, and I still have to remove the a/c bracket and do the fuel banjo bolt and updated oil galley plug gasket, fill res on HPOP. And hope it starts and shifts before I put it on the ground. I am going to hopefully have it done sometime today.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds great! Gimme a call later.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mueckster
Sounds great! Gimme a call later.
Sound Good !! I'll give you a call later around the hottest part of the day when I take a break.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Subscribing! I have been wrenching on junk for nearly 20 years now and have yet to tackle an auto trans. I have done it all including working/fab/fixing jet engines but the auto trans for some reason just scares me.

Some day I will just have to dive in and learn stuff.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:01 PM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Thats the best way to learn. They're not that bad really. You just have to pay attention to detail and dont get distracted.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:06 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Good Job Ed. When you let us know that everything is working great I will bring my tranny over for you to work on

Old 07-14-2012, 03:06 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Subscribing! I have been wrenching on junk for nearly 20 years now and have yet to tackle an auto trans. I have done it all including working/fab/fixing jet engines but the auto trans for some reason just scares me.

I am just like you but with over 25 yrs minus the jet engines and up til this point auto trans have scared me too.

But it has been a real learning process. I have read a couple books and have had help from the brotherhood. Thanks Darrel and Roland who both have held my hand and helped whenever I would get stuck.

But I think Darrel said it best "They're not that bad really. You just have to pay attention to detail and dont get distracted." And since you have skills you won't have any problems. So when you get to the point you are going to "Dive in" let me know I'll hook you up with a phone # of a sales lady that will give you great pricing (wholesale). Just make sure you know what parts you want.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:19 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GonzoCSU
Good Job Ed. When you let us know that everything is working great I will bring my tranny over for you to work on
X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I am just like you but with over 25 yrs minus the jet engines and up til this point auto trans have scared me too.

But it has been a real learning process. I have read a couple books and have had help from the brotherhood. Thanks Darrel and Roland who both have held my hand and helped whenever I would get stuck.

But I think Darrel said it best "They're not that bad really. You just have to pay attention to detail and dont get distracted." And since you have skills you won't have any problems. So when you get to the point you are going to "Dive in" let me know I'll hook you up with a phone # of a sales lady that will give you great pricing (wholesale). Just make sure you know what parts you want.

I hope I don't need any trans work for awhile (if ever ) but when/if I do I will be very interested to hear how yours is working out.

Best of luck with it!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

I had a friend who said he would help me BUT never showed up. Thanks buddy!!!!
Must be the same bloke I know. That would explain things. He's living in the States now

Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Well I finally got the truck on the ground and took it for a test drive today after dealing with some other issues with the engine. And the trans works well. The Sonnax Accumulator kit works almost too well !! And mind you I am running stock tunes http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...948-09K-IN.pdf

Now before I get to that... I have my trans totally broke in about 15 miles and NOT by choice.

I went on test drive and 15 miles from home it didn't want to go at a stop light and had to rev it up to move so I stopped and I see a puddle of trans fuild and it was everywhere. I mean everywhere all over the engine, the underside, front brakes and paint. It was the stupid Raybestos Magnefine Inline Magnetic automatic transmission filter blow apart. I wish I wouldn't even installed it. I put straight line now. I had it after the hard line between motor and rad on the return side. So there goes an other 6qts of Castrol MerconV that hurts. And I ended up having to fix it in a truck stop parking lot. I don't think they were please me dumping trans fuild on their lot. Sorry But I wasn't too happy either laying on the ground in a puddle of ATF when it is 96* out and trans fuild dripping in my face.

The blessing in the whole thing is it was 15 miles from home and not in the middle of nowhere with my wife and daughter in the truck on our way to RRE. The big guy is looking out for me.

So now the good news it is broke in and the clutchs/steels are bedded too say the least. That Sonnax Accumulator kit made a world of differents. The shift pressure is good. Shift 1-2 is almost too hard . It is like a kick in the butt. Shift 2-3 is a little soft all most stock. Shift 3-4 is perfect it is very snappy and firm but not a real kick in the butt. And with the pump modds and the new torque converter OD lock up is very solid. So all in and all I am very happy with what I have. And I have in this trans right at $1500 and including fuild.

Now I am ready for tunes. So I can get the most out of her. But with all the Sonnax parts and valves I installed it already feels like I have trans tunes.

Thanks guys for all your help and input on this build !!! I couldn't have done it without the brotherhood. Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: 4R100 Stage1 Rebuild