Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4R100 Stage1 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting read m8. Thanks for taking the effort on the pics. Cant wait to see how it goes.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Interesting read m8. Thanks for taking the effort on the pics. Cant wait to see how it goes.
Thanks Brian

Sonnax upgraded pump valve and a new pressure reg spring also.

Sonnax pump parts

Stator bypass valve stock is plastic and Sonnax is aluminun

Billet covered T.C

Billet cover, triple disc, New hardened hub, turbine tweaked for lower stall speed, torrington bearing instead of a thrust washer, Borg Warner fiction rings. All for around $300 at T.C.T and Dino also has been the only guy willing to explain where the problems are and what he does to correct the factory problems. There actually were a few more goodies that could have been done to make a monster t.c. but no need for more in my case.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:44 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Waiting on 2 sizing .099 retainer rings for Od and OD/IM clutchs and I need to have the pump bushing installed and pump aligned and torqued. Then I can finish it and put back in the truck.

Tru Cool #4739 with cold weather bypass valve, hose, clamps and brackets. My girl at WIT hooked me up with a GREAT price on it. Noone else could come close but then again I did just spend a fair piece of coin with her. Her prices are better than online pricing.

Cold weather bypass valve... "Sweet"

Old 07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
You can get the pump aligned yourself by using a few very-large stainless, screw-type hose clamps all strung together to form one large band, then around the pump and tightened enough to align the halves.

Pop

Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
You can get the pump aligned yourself by using a few very-large stainless, screw-type hose clamps all strung together to form one large band, then around the pump and tightened enough to align the halves.

Pop
Thanks POP I might just end up having to do that. Because this point in time I have to have this truck back on the ground running and driving by next weekend. So I can work the bugs out before leaving for RRE. Mind you I have also replaced ALL HPO orings, T500, rebuilt turbo, EBPV delete and a few other things in the last 8 mths it has been out of service. So who knows what I'll run into???

Old 07-08-2012, 03:05 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pop
That is basicly what I did, except I borrowed from work 2 large clamps and 2 stainless bands that would wrap all the way around. I used metric 2 bolts wrapped with split nylon air brake tubing for alignment dowels. I also used these same dowels when installing the pump in the case.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Thanks Roland for all your input on the TruCool and pointing out all the different ways it could be mounted and plumbed.

So I decided to put it on the bumper and center it so it would catch more air. And since I have a E99 I don't have a trans cooler in the radiator. So plumbing will be simple. Add the cold weather bypass valve and magnet inline filter.

As I was cleaning the lines out I shot brake cleaner up my nose. That hurt !! Then I got brake cleaner in my eye lucky it was the one that don't work. I had to put down the brake cleaner I was just getting too dangerous with it.

I pulled the stock cooler out so it could be cleaned well. I am still up in the air as far as if I am going to put it back in. If I do it will be when I put a new radiator in it.

I should be putting the truck together NOT taking it apart

TruCool #4739 mounted in the bumper

TruCool #4739 and stock 7.3 trans cooler

TruCool #4739 can actually be made to fit in the stock location. TruCool has 13 rows and stock 7.3 is 9 rows. Alittle better than stock and it might NOT be a 6.0 cooler but it also cost less than half a 6.0 cooler cost.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Well I have the TruCool installed and it took alittle work to fit nice and clean. I also made a grill to keep the BIG rocks from putting a hole in it.

Mock up of the pump to the t.c. on the bench to check fit.

Here what I came up with for check ball placement and it says there are 8 check ***** and 1 epc relief valve. Is that correct for a 1999 4r100? Because it says 1996??? I only had 7 check ball in mine or that I could find. Also I did NOt have the IM Accumulator filter. Should I have one???

So from what I can tell I should have 8 check *****. Does this look right?? I just want to make sure before I button this thing up and put back in the truck.

Time for me to go to sleep..............

Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice right up ! So the T.C. was around 300 and it was a triple disc and billet cover?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Well I have the TruCool installed and it took alittle work to fit nice and clean. I also made a grill to keep the BIG rocks from putting a hole in it.

Mock up of the pump to the t.c. on the bench to check fit.

Here what I came up with for check ball placement and it says there are 8 check ***** and 1 epc relief valve. Is that correct for a 1999 4r100? Because it says 1996??? I only had 7 check ball in mine or that I could find. Also I did NOt have the IM Accumulator filter. Should I have one???

So from what I can tell I should have 8 check *****. Does this look right?? I just want to make sure before I button this thing up and put back in the truck.

Time for me to go to sleep..............
Here is a pic of the check ball locations for the '99-up 4R100. You should have only the thimble filter that twists in the separator plate behind the main VB. IIRC, The small screen for the IM was an E4OD thing. I had some leftover stuff from my gasket kit, too. It was packaged for use with early & late model E4ODs and the 4R100s.
Everything looks great! I like the look of the screen. Very custom.
Name:  check *****.gif
Views: 9791
Size:  21.1 KB

Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
That screen looks awesome Ed. Great job.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mueckster
Here is a pic of the check ball locations for the '99-up 4R100. You should have only the thimble filter that twists in the separator plate behind the main VB. IIRC, The small screen for the IM was an E4OD thing. I had some leftover stuff from my gasket kit, too. It was packaged for use with early & late model E4ODs and the 4R100s.
Everything looks great! I like the look of the screen. Very custom.
Attachment 57813
Thanks Roland !! I just wanted to verify that was correct before I put the valve body all together. I have double checked and triple checked everything. Last night I had it all together and thought I had forgot something and took it apart all the way down to the center support and back together. And NO I didn't forget anything. I need to STOP second guessing myself. I guess it because I have never done a trans before. But when it comes to bolting it up it will be a cake walk.. I hope

The hardest part for me now will be getting the trans on the jack and putting the down pipe on. The stupid down pipe always gives me a hard time. Being a E99 and short pedestal the pipe want to hit the back of the head and NOt line up with turbo housing. So hopefully this evening I can start to get it bolted up. I am being Mr. Mom today so I won't be able to have at it until later today.

And thanks guys on the lower grill I too am happy the way it turned out. But like everything else I do I have way too much time in it. I seem to over think things. But sometimes it pays off !!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Be just as careful with the Mom duties.

The next generation is counting on YOU!!

Pop

Old 07-12-2012, 07:00 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Be just as careful with the Mom duties.

The next generation is counting on YOU!!

Pop
LOL For what it is worth, I don't cook
But you are right Pop !! I enjoy stepping up as a father and playing a big role in my little girls life. She is the most important thing in the world to me. I try to raise her right.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
See the springs sticking up well that is the Sonnax Center Support Seal kit #3642424k http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/36424-24K.pdf Now I have never heard of anyone using this kit but it sounds like it should help. Besides it came in my Sure Cure kit and this makes a total of 5 modds to the center support alone.

Well it ISN"T pretty but it is done !! It is build to spec and blueprinted so when I do Stage2 I make it look pretty then. Now I don't have the time and just don't care as long as it works.

So hopefully in a couple of days I'll be able to post up on how everything went. I also have a couple of other issues to deal with before she hits the road.

Quick Reply: 4R100 Stage1 Rebuild