Sponsored by: Moser

Anyone ever hook to a Superduty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone ever hook to a Superduty?

A friend of mine has a little bit of complex I guess and wants to hook to my truck. I'm pretty sure I can pull him backwards but not sure. His truck is 05 F250 crew cab 6.0 short bed 4wd that's basically stock. It has a limited slip and decent tread BFG's. I told him I'll do it but only in the dirt since I know he has me on weight pretty good I would think. I do have a locker in the rear and very good tread Ground Hawgs so I know the dirt will work good for me. I do have a diesel Superduty myself so I have a idea what I'm getting myself into. I'll be pulling as pictured:

Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Also this kinda started because of me giving him a hard time for backing into my rear bumper. His truck has sensors but they didn't work to well with out bumper height difference. I got absolutely nothin but a 3" paint scuff on my old steel bumper.

BANG!

Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I predict he will win. weight is so important in pulling, even in the dirt. My 04 excursion 6.0 4x4 is really similar to him as far as weight, and I cross the scales at 8300 lbs. He is probably close to 8000. If his BFG's are at's then they will hook just as good in dirt, probably better than your ground hawg's, which are really at their best in mud.

I don't know how his limited slip will hold out, but it only has to keep the tires spinning for 5 feet or so to declare victory in a tug of war!

Really no point in anymore bench racing. Just do it and see how you fare. If I were you I'd try to hook low and add weight.

Just make sure you both have really sturdy tow points. You are putting a huge strain.. I wouldn't trust a hitch ball or anything like that. My brother saw a guy get his head taken off, literally, when his receiver mounted clevis sheared his hitch pin and sent the entire clevis through the back of the truck, through his head, out the front windshield, and actually continued on with enough force to embed itself in a pine tree.

Flushing man dies in freak accident - TimesLeaderOnline.com | News, Sports, Jobs and Community Info for Belmont County - Times Leader

Old 06-03-2012, 09:04 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Well Excursions do weigh a bit more. I've weigh my 00 Ext cab F250 7.3 everytime I get coal and it's usually around 7200 or so empty. I really doubt his 6.0 weighs much more than my SD. I too have a good set of BFG AT's on my SD and they are nice for what they are but there is absolutely no comparison in the field. My SD is help less in 2wd but does ok in 4wd with all the diesel weight. Ill make sure I use a hitch that doesn't drop too so I can yank the weight off his back wheels. This will be purely for fun that's all. Hey if I can't pull him with this I'll try my SD for some more fun.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:16 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His exact truck, only a long bed, will cross the scales at about 8100 lbs. I don't think the shortbeds are that much lighter. The excursion doesn't weight that much more than the trucks, I was surprised. And mine is as heavy as they get, I have a brushguard, rear seat DVD, third row, leather, etc.

As far as tires, if you go to a truck pull, you generally don't see any mud terrains. The AT's grip best in smooth dirt,they let you slip. MT's tend to dig and bog the motor, especially with bigger diameter tires.

If the soil is loose enough, your MT's might give you an advantage. The locker definitely will. But, like I said, only one way to find out.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
I would tell your friend even if he did win by pulling you around that YOU will still have a better looking truck than him, so get over it. lol

Doing the ol "My truck is tougher" is a great way to tear up stuff like axles, u joints, trans, get your head taken off.

Just tell him his truck is tougher....all the time knowing the real deal, smile and snicker a bit and walk away. Take him to the race track and you use your mustang, that will shut him up.

Oh and tell him to get his back up sensors and that big dumb donkey dent fixed.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:07 AM
JB78f150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't do it. You see so many videos online of this going bad. My buddy almost got his head taken off with a clevis. It is all up to you but you will always have the better truck.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 AM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
I would tell your friend even if he did win by pulling you around that YOU will still have a better looking truck than him, so get over it. lol

Doing the ol "My truck is tougher" is a great way to tear up stuff like axles, u joints, trans, get your head taken off.

Just tell him his truck is tougher....all the time knowing the real deal, smile and snicker a bit and walk away. Take him to the race track and you use your mustang, that will shut him up.

Oh and tell him to get his back up sensors and that big dumb donkey dent fixed.
It was funny his backup sensors were working just fine. I guess they seen the axle rather then the bumper with the height difference. He has since gotten another tail gate and had it painted. The pics I posted were from our annual bird hunt. Here's another and actually exactly righ after it was backed in to.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Smile

Personally I would do the pull if everything was mechanicly in good shape. I would think the dent would win overall. But, the only to find out is... DO IT !!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 AM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
Personally I would do the pull if everything was mechanicly in good shape. I would think the dent would win overall. But, the only to find out is... DO IT !!!!!!!
I will if he wants. Everything I have is new or rebuilt in drive line. I could care less if I break something. As long as it was fun.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by PA74F250
I will if he wants. Everything I have is new or rebuilt in drive line. I could care less if I break something. As long as it was fun.
If your buddy with the super duty brought the truck pull up something tells me he would be up to it. But, it is entirely possible that I'm wrong so don't quote me.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a strap, not a chain if you do but my moneys on the superduty.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 AM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Maybe I'll test the waters a little and hook to my Dads SD. His is identical just a 7.3. I guess if I can't pull him I might have to stategically place 1k lbs of tractor suitcase weights under the bed mat and see if I can even things up a bit. He did start it but I don't want to lose lol.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
With a little extra weight in the bed and pulling your brake light fuse it might be fun. I use to have a switch to shut off my brake lights all together, and had a goose neck ball bed hitch with some HEAVY DUTY STRAP and large hook.

So when they pulled on it, it in turn pulled down on my truck, giving me better traction. Once their truck bounced, I dropped the hammer and laid on the shinny pedal.

If you start to bounce let off or things will go boom followed by clang. Drive shaft being shot out from under truck.....

If you have a standard trans and install a simple hand throttle, stand on the clutch and brake (hence brake light fuse removed), idle it up, watch them in the side mirror as soon as they start to bounce or spin, slip the clutch and get into it.

I only hear this works based off a urbane legend.......cause we all know hitting the brakes is automatic disqual.

I also hear rubbing is racing, tailgating is drafting, but what the hell do I know. Cheating ain't fair, but neither is life......

You had better u-tube this, of course if you loose we do not expect to see it in this forum. LOL

Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Lol I'm sure there will be a video if this does materialize. I'm not worried about the drivin part. I have a little bit of sense of when performance driving is needed lol. Now the other guy he lives in town and doesn't know much about this stuff I'm sure he will just go hammer down. We'll see if he changes his mind. Like I said I really don't care.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever hook to a Superduty?