Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

driving tips for stock class

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Red454sedgwick
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving tips for stock class

I'm going to compete in the nspa sled pull in sterling co, tomorrow, Are the any tips for driving. when pulling stuff trough the mud with the truck, 2nd gear 4wd holding throttle 3/4 way seems to work the best. truck is a 88 mildly built 7.3, F250 4x4, e4od 3,55 gears

Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 AM
NIsaacs
New User
Did you go ahead and pull? If you did how did you do and how did you like it? It is a rush like no other for me, even better than sand drags or bracket racing. I pull in the stock gas 6500 lbs class with United Pullers, Rocky Mountain pullers and Live a Little. Nothing going on in Arizona thou, so I have to travel long distance. NSPA in Colorado doesn't have a stock gas class so I have never pulled with them.

I notice that the Competition Forum is quiet with only 9 pages of posts and sled pulling is really quiet. I would like to find others interested besides me.

Anyone??

Nick

Old 11-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Red454sedgwick
Posting Guru
no I didn't have my truck together in time

Old 12-04-2014, 08:33 AM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
I'm for sure interested and check back here every now and then. I go to pulls all the time of all types and I pull tractors. I've often thought about pulling my truck but I'm not sure I'm ready to be fixing any possibly serious issues that could arise. I hooked my '88 with a 351w in the street legal small block class once and ended up doing a clutch job 2 weeks later so I'm a little hesitant to hook the diesel. Plus around here my mild built, but still N/A IDI probably doesn't stand a chance because I've seen my share of guys that run the work stock diesel class with no bars or anything that go like crazy, then come back and pull the 2.6 mod class with another tune, traction bars installed, and the headlight popped out with a velocity stack behind them, and suspension locks down, and compete well there. It wouldn't be bad if sand-baggers weren't so common but I feel like I'd get stomped even if my truck held together. It's the same in any sport I guess cause I know first hand tractor pulling is the same way...

Old 12-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Red454sedgwick
Posting Guru
Pulling is not all about hp, it's about getting what you got to the ground. It was a small pull, but I have a friend that beat two moded gas trucks with his NA idi, but there was only three trucks there.
I can't get the video away from my friend, but it's of me dragging his 00 psd with my 87 idi. He had twice the hp than I had, but I got mine to the ground.
If you try and pull your c6 put a trans temp gauge in, it's pretty easy to cook them, behind a diesel.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:20 PM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
Hey thanks, that's a good tip. Like I said, I know first hand from pulling tractors about the sport and the ins and outs (not saying I'm a pro) and they're all related in a somewhat similar strategy type of way I'd say. I've actually been considering putting a trans temp gauge in my truck anyways since I do my fair share of hauling and towing tractors up and down the mountains here in Pa. What I'd love, I mean absolutely love to do would be to put a 5 speed behind my 7.3 so I could get better milage and cruise a little better at 55 or 65 without having the engine practically wide open. I love my truck and it makes crazy torque because of it , but with a C-6 and 4:10's its no highway roller.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:52 AM
NIsaacs
New User
The class rules are very important for sled pulling.

Since you pull tractors and have watched the diesel trucks pull, you have seen some awesome pullers. A late model, totally stock diesel is heavy and has a lot of power. If a programmer is allowed, now they can pull the house down.

I think you know the answer to your own question, ya better stay on the porch, Lol. However, pulling is a blast so if you really want to do it, then do it and learn, then start the improvements to be competitive.

For a 20 second pull, I wouldn't worry about tranny heat.

Nick

Old 12-05-2014, 04:25 PM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
Yeah class rules are a real issue around here so it seems. A lot of the guys are real competitive and we've got locals that run at the east coast nationals and so forth. The problem is they have a showroom stock diesel class that has to have a factory or similar exhaust with muffler and all. No programmers or chips, no traction bars, nothing aftermarket performance wise, basically nothing outside of what it comes from the dealership like. (Which isn't my truck) and then they jump to the work stock diesel which is where id be required to run and they've got programmers, bigger turbos and injectors, p- pumped Cummins trucks, live efi tuning, traction bars, suspension locks... I know guys running trucks in there making easy 450-500+HP and I'd be lucky to whisp what? 180, 190 with my N/A idi? I know it's not all about the power but when the sanctions rules don't give you a fighting chance in hell? Til I find a different place to pull with some other rules or something I'll just stick to watching I guess. Better for the truck and my pockets.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:29 PM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
PS: on a side note of love to strap my truck to a dyno just for the heck of it to see what she makes.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:02 AM
NIsaacs
New User
Yes, the rules are an issue here too. This past season I pulled 15 times in 6 states and I run into this all the time. For some reason there is no standard. Then you go to some pulls where they don't follow their own rules!

I pull with a 1975 F-250, 4x4, 428, C-6, 4.88 gears and 31" tires in the 5200/5500/6200/6500 lb Stock Gas Class. I started 3 years ago building this truck to pull from a daily driver, to what it is today. It's been a long 3 years with more to do! It's a rush like no other, even better than bracket racing or sand drags.

Dyno days here are fun, I usually take one of my trucks, even if I have not made any improvements, just for the fun and hanging out with other gear heads. We have a performance shop here that puts on a dyno day every spring and fall. The price is right, the first run is free, $30 for each run after.

Nick