6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Brakes: Upgrade on the way

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Brakes: Upgrade on the way

Hello all, I just ordered the following:

Product Image

And:

Product Image

Looking forward to seeing how the slotted rotors and new pads perform. Hopefully next weekend I will have some pics and install notes.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Looks like some great stuff you've got ordered Joel. I'm anxious to hear your impressions.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Specularius
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the rotors cryo treated? I had a set on my '04 and loved them.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very interested in safety mods. Is there a reason that you're doing this or is it just preventative maintenance? Do you anticipate a shorter braking distance?

I know that slotted rotors keep cooler and are less likely to warp. Just curious is all. Thanks

Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Let us know how these work out.

Be sure to bed the brake pads in properly.

I hope these work out good as I am thinking about running a set of these rotors, not sure about what pads yet.

_

Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Sounds good Joel! Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 PM
rlm328
Freshman User
While slotted rotors have visual appeal, thet will not change your braking ability. The slotted and drilled rotors in the past allowed the pads to out gas. The pads in use today do not have the gassing issue the older pads had. As far as rotor warping is concerned there was thread on that earlier that dispelled this myth.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,048 Likes on 2,210 Posts
slotted rotors do improve brake cooling and thus reducing brake fade in high breaking situations, such as towing or hilly terrain. At least is what I have gathered in my research.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I too look forward to seeing how an improvement over factory will perform.

Not cryo rotors.
Virtually same price as quality OEM replacement so I figured why not?
I tow a lot and have never been thrilled with stopping power, especially from 40-0 mph.
My brakes are not quite worn out, 3mm in front after a little over 100K.
The pads seem to be the more oggresive move in making improvement over stock. I compromised longevity over the max grip type pads. Should still be better.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by my996duc1
Be sure to bed the brake pads in properly.

_

EBC brake pads do not need a bed in procedure. Just install...and drive for about 400 miles with easy brake pedal. They bed themselves with a special compound on the face of the pad.

Actually...works really...really well.

The Powerslot rotors that I installed on my SD...I have not been overly impressed. Not so much the product...but the customer support. IMHO...the customer support was terrible! Or should I say...Nonexistent! YUCK! etc...and so on. Hope they have improved over the years...

biz

Old 05-18-2012, 03:18 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Originally Posted by biz4two
EBC brake pads do not need a bed in procedure. Just install...and drive for about 400 miles with easy brake pedal. They bed themselves with a special compound on the face of the pad.

Actually...works really...really well.

The Powerslot rotors that I installed on my SD...I have not been overly impressed. Not so much the product...but the customer support. IMHO...the customer support was terrible! Or should I say...Nonexistent! YUCK! etc...and so on. Hope they have improved over the years...

biz

400 easy miles.... you are kidding right ??
You should be able to bed in a set of pads within a few miles, depending on traffic. Just gotta drive it like you stole it.
From EBC website : Brake Pad bedding is very important for brake pad wear and brake pad performance.
Most fun I've had bedding at set of brake pads and new rotors was on Venice Blvd in a Ferrari 360. Ahhh, the good ole days.

Rotors should be remove and replace.
Why would a person need to contact customer service ??
Did they have fitment issues, warping ... what should a person watch for on these ??

_

Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
slotted rotors do improve brake cooling and thus reducing brake fade in high breaking situations, such as towing or hilly terrain. At least is what I have gathered in my research.
The slots also cut away a very small layer of the pad, refeshing the surface of the pad.

If you run your hand along the surface of a slotted rotor you should be able to feel the almost sharp abrupt edge of the slots.
A cross drilled rotor will have the edges of the holes chamfered.

_

Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by my996duc1
400 easy miles.... you are kidding right ??
You should be able to bed in a set of pads within a few miles, depending on traffic. Just gotta drive it like you stole it.
From EBC website : Brake Pad bedding is very important for brake pad wear and brake pad performance.
Most fun I've had bedding at set of brake pads and new rotors was on Venice Blvd in a Ferrari 360. Ahhh, the good ole days.

Rotors should be remove and replace.
Why would a person need to contact customer service ??
Did they have fitment issues, warping ... what should a person watch for on these ??

_

Yes...serious. It's with the instructions on the pads. No harsh stops...unless in emergency situations. Plus...here is a cool vid to help the point.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DsQX8UAAlLg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah...the Powerslot rear rotors were warped out of the box. After weeks of trying to get them replaced with company...I decided to just get them turned...and be done with it. I know...brand new out of the box...and having them turned...not the best...but at least I was back on the road.

biz

Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
Mild tangent here: I think the soft brakes are more related to the lines expanding under pressure than the rotors and pads. Does anyone have experience with switching those out for SS versions?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:45 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Brandon Bloomquist
Mild tangent here: I think the soft brakes are more related to the lines expanding under pressure than the rotors and pads. Does anyone have experience with switching those out for SS versions?
I thought about it but have never done it so I figured I would just go with the normal hardware first. You are certainly correct, braided lines are supposed to be a significant upgrade to any brake system.

Quick Reply: Brakes: Upgrade on the way