1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

MII Front end coil spring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowcruser
I to ran in to this problem, and was told by my father-in-law to skip it till I got the rest of the body on for weight to fully compress the springs to drop into the spring perch pocket. And I did till several year have passed by and I forgot to re-address the issue.

Driving back from DMV just getting my licens plates , first half mile driving. (good times) " TILL " the speed bump in the mini mall parking lot. First time I crawled over not problems. second one hit it a little faster, And then it set.

I went from 3 1/4 inch cross member ground clearance to 3/4 inch cross member ground clearance in a instant.

My advice is to skippit for now. But red tag it after you have more weight to compress the springs at ride wieght. You could add misc. sand bags, bar bell weights , tires filled with dirt, scrap meral and water tubs to weight the frame for now. Just don't do what I did, I don't recommend it!
Great info! Thanks man! I have pictured myself doing just what you did...putting it off then forgetting AND weighting the frame down with stuff.

Thanks!

Tyler

Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure what the red dot means. There are a couple of stock MII springs out there. Most small block installations use the lighter versions. If you had a 460 or a hemi, you'd use the heavier springs.im concerned that the spring doesn't compress when you put a jack under the lower A arm. The frame and engine are a big part of the weight that'll be there so it should compress a little. Since you have the lower A arm in, try putting the wheel on & bouncing the frame a little to see if it moves a little.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by old_dan
I'm not sure what the red dot means. There are a couple of stock MII springs out there. Most small block installations use the lighter versions. If you had a 460 or a hemi, you'd use the heavier springs.im concerned that the spring doesn't compress when you put a jack under the lower A arm. The frame and engine are a big part of the weight that'll be there so it should compress a little. Since you have the lower A arm in, try putting the wheel on & bouncing the frame a little to see if it moves a little.
That's what I was thinking (that the engine is a large part of the weight) hence my concern. I don't even have tires yet. Guess I'll have to get them.

T

Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tyler,

I have a Fatman Fabrications MII setup. They recommend a that for a light engine (small block like our 351w's), that we use Napa P/N 277-3039 which is the original 4 cylinder MII stock springs. For heavy engines, they recommend using the stock springs from an 84 5.0 mustang which is Napa P/N 277-3241.

Aside from that, the process for setting ride height is to cut the springs by 1/4 of a coil at a time. When I set mine up, it was too low and I found out that the springs had been cut by 1/4 of a turn and...it was 1 inch too low. Fatman tech reps are also quick to point out that the springs will probably settle in about an inch when they break in (after around 100 miles).

The critical part in ride height is to make sure that the steering arms are very close to level when the truck is sitting there static....that level steering arms are to avoid the bump steer.

I had my springs in and out a few times. I found that if I compressed the spring a little, I could pop the lower ball joint out of the spindle with a floor jack under the end of the lower control arm....the spring easily compressed a couple of inches with the jack.

Dan

Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
DON'T cut the springs. Mine looked exactly the same way before getting the spring seated onto its perch. If anything, the spring now seems a bit short.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by slowcruser
I to ran in to this problem, and was told by my father-in-law to skip it till I got the rest of the body on for weight to fully compress the springs to drop into the spring perch pocket. And I did till several year have passed by and I forgot to re-address the issue.

Driving back from DMV just getting my licens plates , first half mile driving. (good times) " TILL " the speed bump in the mini mall parking lot. First time I crawled over not problems. second one hit it a little faster, And then it set.

I went from 3 1/4 inch cross member ground clearance to 3/4 inch cross member ground clearance in a instant.

My advice is to skippit for now. But red tag it after you have more weight to compress the springs at ride wieght. You could add misc. sand bags, bar bell weights , tires filled with dirt, scrap meral and water tubs to weight the frame for now. Just don't do what I did, I don't recommend it!
^^^^^^^^^I agree. Skip it for now and come back to it. I probably also lost 3" of ground clearance. I went from a perfect stance to not being able to get a jack under the cross-member. As a matter of fact, I had to change out my 2" drop spindles due to it being too low(I didn't want to have to cringe every time I came upon a dead squirrel in the middle of the highway).

Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

So to wrap up this issue temporarily....

I just talked to the tech support folks at TCI and they advised that I skip the spring installation entirely until the truck is completely done. In the mean time I should just put a temporary make-shift strut in there, like a 9" 4x4, to hold the A arms more or less level. Once the truck is done, body on, radiator on, full of fluids etc, a heavy front bumper and all, then the springs will compress properly under the weight of the truck. And then after driving it for about 500 miles they will finally settle and I will have to realign it.

All that would have been nice to know 3 months ago! But like I have said before, this EXPENSIVE, potentially HAZARDOUS car stuff comes with instructions less detailed than those from my toaster. Thank the Lord for FTE!!!

God bless y'all!

Tyler

Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler S
So to wrap up this issue temporarily....

I just talked to the tech support folks at TCI and they advised that I skip the spring installation entirely until the truck is completely done. In the mean time I should just put a temporary make-shift strut in there, like a 9" 4x4, to hold the A arms more or less level. Once the truck is done, body on, radiator on, full of fluids etc, a heavy front bumper and all, then the springs will compress properly under the weight of the truck. And then after driving it for about 500 miles they will finally settle and I will have to realign it.

All that would have been nice to know 3 months ago! But like I have said before, this EXPENSIVE, potentially HAZARDOUS car stuff comes with instructions less detailed than those from my toaster. Thank the Lord for FTE!!!

God bless y'all!

Tyler
I agree, lousy instructions. I have a TCI MII but with coil overs. I had to call them 3 or 4 times before I finally figured out that they had sent me the wrong parts to connect the bottom of the shock to the a arm. I think they aim the "instructions" at hot rod shops. If you haven't done it before these instructions are not even worth the paper they are printed on.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by topmoo
I agree, lousy instructions. I have a TCI MII but with coil overs. I had to call them 3 or 4 times before I finally figured out that they had sent me the wrong parts to connect the bottom of the shock to the a arm. I think they aim the "instructions" at hot rod shops. If you haven't done it before these instructions are not even worth the paper they are printed on.
As your little sign off icon () indicates, they drive you to drink. I think their angle is that they are in cahoots with the beer companies!

t

Old 06-05-2012, 06:07 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler S
As your little sign off icon () indicates, they drive you to drink. I think their angle is that they are in cahoots with the beer companies!

t

The world class computer software and electronics manufacturers with a large staff of technical writers can't write a decipherable instruction manual, you are expecting a lot from a little hot rodder who likely barely knows how to turn on a computer and/or his greasy hands keep sliding off the keyboard!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 PM
rzns60
Senior User
Looks like you have been having fun since the last time I checked in on you Tyler. Glad to see you got your IFS installed.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by rzns60
Looks like you have been having fun since the last time I checked in on you Tyler. Glad to see you got your IFS installed.
"Installed" may be overstating it a bit.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Resurrecting this thread to wrap it up after nearly two years. The guys at KnK Kustoms here in Tucson (they are doing our body work and paint) got the springs in for me once we had the cab mounted and that extra weight on the frame. It was quite a wrestling match, even for professionals. Glad I got them to do it. Here's a pic...

T

Attached Images  

Last edited by Tyler S; 02-25-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: correcting the auto-correct correction :)
Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Now that is persistence!!! 2 years...lol. Looks good Tyler. I know you are glad to see a normal looking front suspension finally.