6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Update: How its going so-far EGR/Oil coolers(with many pics)

Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Bota
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work, won't be long now.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Rusty that IAT sensor in your Picture is Number 2 In the Intake manafold

IAT1 is the one right after the Air Cleaner

PCM uses IAT2 to see your EGR Valve open and close verifys the flow by temp change

Looks Great I take my time to I dont do that stuff enough to rush it I forget stuff or throw something on ahead of something else never fails either

Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Lowe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks DARN good Rusty.. I started on my tear down and will try to post (play catch up) tonight or maybe this weekend with the thread "Part 2" Tear down... I have a question for you and anyone else that is reading. I bought the International STC upgrade kits and it doesn’t contain the Install tool/bracket (plastic bracket and fasteners). I was wondering if you still had yours and if so would you be willing to US mail it to me?? I'd send it back with some cash to cover your shipping cost. I have already opened the kit so I can’t return it. another quest question.. You keep referencing Aircraft.. Do you work for an aircraft company? I'll just note that I do. I'm an engineer and live in the Seattle area so you should be able to figure out for who. fficeffice" /><O></O>
It looks real good Rusty. I can appreciate taking your time to do it right as its the main reason I am doing mine myself.. I want it done right and right! and right IMAO is just like what you’re doing!!<O></O>

Dirk

Old 06-22-2012, 01:05 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Rusty, I have been all over this country and have seen some pretty spectacular Valleys. But that valley in your motor is by far the best one I have seen!!!

Good job.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowe
Looks DARN good Rusty.. I started on my tear down and will try to post (play catch up) tonight or maybe this weekend with the thread "Part 2" Tear down... I have a question for you and anyone else that is reading. I bought the International STC upgrade kits and it doesn’t contain the Install tool/bracket (plastic bracket and fasteners). I was wondering if you still had yours and if so would you be willing to US mail it to me?? I'd send it back with some cash to cover your shipping cost. I have already opened the kit so I can’t return it. another quest question.. You keep referencing Aircraft.. Do you work for an aircraft company? I'll just note that I do. I'm an engineer and live in the Seattle area so you should be able to figure out for who. fficeffice" /><O></O>
It looks real good Rusty. I can appreciate taking your time to do it right as its the main reason I am doing mine myself.. I want it done right and right! and right IMAO is just like what you’re doing!!<O></O>
Dirk
Sure Dirk, I still have it in my junk pan. I haven't thrown away anything yet. Shoot me a PM with an address. I should be able to get it sent after work today. No charge. There weren't any instructions with it, I followed a Senior Master Tech video on YouTube for instructions. I do work aviation. Went in the Air Force after high school and I've been working on helicopters for the Army since '85. I worked for a unit that did testing for 15 years. Great job until BRAC decided it needed to be moved. Now I maintain aircraft (weapons) for flight training. I guess that's part of the reason everything has to look new before I put it back on my truck lol.

andriven2liv,
I was gonna paint that valley and make it a real "thing of beauty" but I decided to leave the factory markings.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Rusty,
I knew there were more reasons I liked you.
A&P school tends to make one clean all parts
up so it's not just the Armed Forces thing.
So how much left to go on the job?

Lowe, I am just south of you in Tacoma.

Sean

Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Huge props amigo, I'd rep you a dozen times if I could for the pics, the cleaned out reservoir with the new screen is great!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I hope fire this thing up Sunday. I'm going to pour two or three quarts of oil through the filter housing iirc that will fill up the HPOP resivour (<--spelling?). I'll have the batteries topped off on the charger, and cycle the key 3-4 times to fill the upper fuel filter before cranking it. Anything else I can do to get it up and running? Should I just let it idle for awhile or drive it right away (after it warms up a little)?

Dirk,
Package is in the mail. Check your e-mail also.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:39 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
It will take a lot of cranking before it'll fire. I did 20 seconds cranking, 2 min cool down and repeated. I think it fired up on the 3rd 20 second cranking period. Let it idle for a while, I kicked mine up on high idle and did a coolant flush before driving. Even after several hours of high idle and a couple short trips, I think it still had a little air in the HP oil system, so don't be surprised if you still have a few long-ish cranks after it's up and running.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I'm going to pour two or three quarts of oil through the filter housing iirc that will fill up the HPOP resivour
I think you have to leave the standpipe out for that to work, if you just pour it into the housing with the filter removed it'll just drain back to the pan.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:26 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The video from mastertech show you just pour the oil thru the oil filter stand pipe. It took me about 16 cranking before the truck started, and more thn 16 qts of oil to filled up. Had my chargers on while finishing up and while cranking

Old 06-22-2012, 06:01 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
I filled my reservoir through the filter base before it was fully assembled. If you look at the base closely, you can see which port flows down to the HP oil reservoir.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe that's explain 16 cranking times for me since I pour down a wrong port

Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Do you guys think some of that plastic sheathing stuff would be worth the trouble on the wiring harnesses? They are pretty gnarly and sticky from the factory tape. I guess I could just re-wrap them but the factory tape looks like pretty good stuff and I don't know if I can find anything like that on a weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update: How its going so-far EGR/Oil coolers(with many pics)