Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

What to do about a truck that can not burn more than B5

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What to do about a truck that can not burn more than B5

Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 PM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
A bit louder than stock but not too bad. The muffler is not much of a muffler so the result sounds kinda like a jet engine. Can't hear it from inside the truck though. I didn't realize my was loud until I watched my wife drive of up the hill and heard it from there.

I'm still researching the fuel B5 deal. i was on a web site today that had the bio by grade and locations and the only area above B5 in volume seems to be Iowa. I'm not sure how old that data is and I'm having a hard time finding anyone who wants to talk to me about it.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
I think the 6.4's are so quiet because of the exhaust flow being quite restricted.

Wasn't someone on here running 90% bio?

Old 06-11-2012, 11:13 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
I think the 6.4's are so quiet because of the exhaust flow being quite restricted
They seem to get louder as they get some miles on them. But, if you open that exhaust up, it's a world of difference. Very "Jet Engine" like. Borderline obnoxious.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:15 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Meant to add..... I have 4" turbo back system. When it was just the delete pipe, it wasn't horrible

Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Meant to add..... I have 4" turbo back system. When it was just the delete pipe, it wasn't horrible.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RM2738 View Post
Meant to add..... I have 4" turbo back system. When it was just the delete pipe, it wasn't horrible
I had 4" back also, it's certainly louder than stock, but not as loud as my 7.3

Sounds more like rushing air than an engine exhaust.

Once the VGT actuator is close to 0, it can get really load !!!
(Stops trying so hard to build boost, WOT runs)

Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 AM
arizonasuperduty007
New User
arizonasuperduty007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion View Post
nothin but problems with my 6.4 and almost every other 6.4 owner that i know personally
My dad has an 08 and loves it. When he keeps his foot out of it and goes 70-75 he gets about 18 towing a 35 foot speed boat to Parker and Havasu for fun and poker runs. I still prefer the 7.3 over the later engines hands down.

He did have problems with batteries and once with the dpf, both fixed under warranty, but other than that no problems with his. Maybe its AZ that doesn't have many problems. Here is Phoenix, neither my father nor I have ever had a problem finding ulsd fuel. Anything involving biodiesel is the devils domain to find.

I've got a 2000 F250 Crew with a V10. I routinely get 13 mpg mixed freeway and city and 15-17 on trips with a mild load in the back. I have 185K on it. The gooberment sucks, and are in bed with all the bad "ists" of the world. Government gets out of the way and people are better of.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:11 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Posting Guru
Tuxedo Scorpion is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by arizonasuperduty007 View Post
When he keeps his foot out of it and goes 70-75 he gets about 18 towing a 35 foot speed boat to Parker and Havasu for fun and poker runs.
there is no way. just not possible. mine would get 9-10 towing a 16ft 7k lb enclosed and 14-16 empty (at best)

that being said, my 6.7 gets 20-21 empty and 12-13 towing.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:20 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion View Post
there is no way. just not possible. mine would get 9-10 towing a 16ft 7k lb enclosed and 14-16 empty (at best)

that being said, my 6.7 gets 20-21 empty and 12-13 towing.
I think that is what the lie-o-meter is saying.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Posting Guru
Tuxedo Scorpion is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by senix View Post
I think that is what the lie-o-meter is saying.
Oh well then ya that is about right on the 6.4

Now one thing im really happy with on my 6.7 is that its now the truth o meter cause its pretty much spot on to hand calculations. I figures data a whole new way and have never found it off by more than a couple 10thsdays or so. Nice job Ford.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:59 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.
I think he meant to say his dad gets 8 mpg towing the 35 foot boat doing 75 mph. And that 8 might be a maybe.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 AM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
I'm thinking he has that boat fired up and is using the props like a pusher airplane.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by StanleyZ View Post
I'm thinking he has that boat fired up and is using the props like a pusher airplane.
Completely off topic, but they need to invent a vehicle that is a sea doo crossed with an airplane. Has sea doo hull, airplane propellor, wings, and you sit on it, and do barrel rolls and impress the beach girls

Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
2boxerdogs, you need to get your panties unwadded on this whole B5 stuff. Run the truck at a good temp when going through a regen and stop worrying. My 2010 has 33k on it, and probably never seen B5. I never get "Drive to Clean Filter" messages, and regen about every 250 miles with mixed driving, no highway. I average 16mpg, and this 2010 blows my 2008 6.4L away.
I read the same notice of B5 in my manual, and after seeing up to B20 where I go, I said the heck with it.

Get a scan gauge and program it for the particulate filter temps. I easily hit 1100+ on regen and this rig runs great. No smoke, no smell. Stop worrying about B5. Buy quality fuel and get some sleep

Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by smokewagun View Post
2boxerdogs, you need to get your panties unwadded on this whole B5 stuff. Run the truck at a good temp when going through a regen and stop worrying. My 2010 has 33k on it, and probably never seen B5. I never get "Drive to Clean Filter" messages, and regen about every 250 miles with mixed driving, no highway. I average 16mpg, and this 2010 blows my 2008 6.4L away.
I read the same notice of B5 in my manual, and after seeing up to B20 where I go, I said the heck with it.

Get a scan gauge and program it for the particulate filter temps. I easily hit 1100+ on regen and this rig runs great. No smoke, no smell. Stop worrying about B5. Buy quality fuel and get some sleep
Just a few things:

The truck decides when to go into regen, and it won't till the engine is at a good temp.

The 2010 probably has the latest programming which hides the "cleaning exhuast filter" message.

16 mpg mixed driving no highway? ?.......????.......?....

How does you're 2010 blow away you're 2008? They are the identical engine.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do about a truck that can not burn more than B5

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: