6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What to do about a truck that can not burn more than B5

Old 06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
2boxerdogs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did a little reading on this site, just saw it. The idea of not having to worry about finding the correct fuel or not having to worry if we are going to wind up actually stranded the next time we go out camping might be just enough though to make me not care about the mpg a V10 would get, lol.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2boxerdogs
After a lot of thinking today and talking to good friends that have towed for years, who also know a very good diesel mechanic who said we are screwed with this truck because of the fuel issue, our friends told us to consider getting a V10 gas truck. After looking at an old Ford rv towing guide from 2009, a V10 with the right gears can tow as much as what we can tow now with our diesel. Of course, we don't know about this currently, but perhaps that might be the answer, a V10 not a new diesel. Just something to think about and consider. I am going to call back Ford this week, not expecting anything. The dealer tells me to call customer service at Ford and Ford tells me to talk to the dealer. I don't really know anything about the V10s so I will have to investigate them. Of course, I won't be able to pull into the truck lanes with that, but I could pull into the end pumps on the right hand side, if the lot is big enough for me. Imagine not having to worry about finding fuel anymore, what a novel idea. I would like to thank everyone that has replied. I just think the sooner this truck goes by by the better. I hate this because I do like my truck, but we can't risk getting stranded any more like what happened this last trip. Anyone know anything about the gas V10s??

Try running a v10 loaded on E15

Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
You know guys, after my rant yesterday I had some second thoughts. There has to be B5 available. The EPA rules (dictates if you will) applied to all diesel engines built after 07. That included 18 wheelers, motorhomes, box trucks and any other diesel. As far as I know they all used DPF technology. Admittedly, some used a 9th injector but it seems the motors would still be rated B5 or lower. I can't believe the 18 wheelers are having to not refuel in the states that mandate the high level bio. Sooo, somebody knows the answer, all we have to do is wait.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 AM
2boxerdogs
New User
I used to be able to find B5 (last year) in Memphis, Indiana at a Love's truck stop on interstate 65 about 7 miles from my house. It is now B11, so sometime between last year and this year it went bye bye. I haven't seen it anywhere in the area where I live lately and certainly not in the area where we have towed with our camper.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
I gave you all the information you need to spend a 1/10th the amount of money a new truck would cost you (at a minimum) which would increase your MPG, power, cruising range and allow you to run whatever percent biofuel you want without a problem...not to mention allowing your motor to run cooler and cleaner.

Not sure what else to tell you, but you asked, I answered and you don't seem interested or appreciative of my reply, so I'm done...

Good luck with a POS V-10 gasser...

Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 AM
2boxerdogs
New User
Ronin, I am very appreciative of your reply. Just not sure if I want to do it or if I should or even if I can.

Really not sure what I will do about my truck. It probably does need to go. Like I said earlier I want to thank everyone that has replied. Still thinking about what to do is all.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 AM
2boxerdogs
New User
"I would like to thank everyone that has replied."

Here it is cut and pasted out of an earlier post, Ronin.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I have been trying to follow up on this. So far I've learned that the pilot truck stops in Iowa just take the blend the company ships. They say the amount of bio is determined by temperature, lower in cold weather higher in summer. The fuel manager could not say what he was pumping right now except that is was less then B10 because at B10 they are required by law to post a notice on the pumps. Also says there is no law requiring them to sell the bio but they get a tax rebate from both the federal and state for selling it. I posed our problem with fuel over over 5% bio and he had no response or suggestion. He did provide me with a phone number for the Mid west Director of material and Fuel. I missed him today but have a promise from his secretary that he will call me tomorrow. more when I know it.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Way to go StanleyZ...that's what's called follow through!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
I just try to avoid filling in Iowa. If I must then I get just enough to carry me through to the next state.

I have had no ill effects as my burn rate is quite high.

6.4 is a great motor overall
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-videos.html

Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by senix
I just try to avoid filling in Iowa. If I must then I get just enough to carry me through to the next state.

I have had no ill effects as my burn rate is quite high.

6.4 is a great motor overall
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-videos.html
Thanks Sennix, that's a great thread. Would be great to have a copy on this forum, anybody know how to copy a thread?

Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Thanks Sennix, that's a great thread. Would be great to have a copy on this forum, anybody know how to copy a thread?
You might be able to save the HTML file as a whole.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't rep you Stanley, I would if I could. Very helpful info, great research, you're a heck of a guy. I hope the op is able to make some good decisions with the info you are finding.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:33 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, just get a tuner for you're 6.4.

And a DPF DOC cross over pipe.

Trading stuff off is a good way to get bent over good and hard.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 PM
2boxerdogs
New User
So, been talking to Ford, does not sound like they are going to do anything to solve the fuel issue, they say that is a government problem. They said to write each state's government. So thinking more about what Ronin suggested. Thinking about taking my truck to this place, it is a couple hours away from where I live one way, but it sounds like they do the delete kits: Diesel performance for Dodge Cummins, Ford Powerstroke, Chevy Duramax
One question I do have is if I have this delete done, will it make the truck "loud"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do about a truck that can not burn more than B5