Received 5,149 Likes on 1,686 Posts
Is that yer national passtime down there?? chasing snakes lol

Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 AM
zombiekiller
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRRXR
Back on the snakes

Get this the other day there was a coral snake at the job site. so the guys following instruction call Security

Then one of the yahoos thinks that "oh thats a little one" and he grabs it. Thing pushes out and around on his hand and bits him. He was gloveless too. I guess he has never dealt with one. They are strong and have a real hard body. Anyhow he had to go get shots and observation showed erratic heart beat. What a idiot.

I have neaver held a live one.
Damn, that guy should have paid attention in biology class. Coral snakes are the only species of snake in the new world that is in the Elapidae family. That is the family of snakes that the cobras, mambas, kraits etc are in. All other species of snakes here that are venomous are in the Viperidae family, which is later divided into the family that the rattlesnakes are in called Crotalinae, or pit viper family. Most, all venomous snakes in the Crotalinae family have a hemotoxic type venom. There are some exceptions in the rattlesnakes in different geographical ranges. Like the mohave. There is a type A that has more of Neurotoxic venom like that of the cobras. There are some that are type B, then there is the hybrid range where there could be both, (A/B)

The coral snake is a member of the cobra family, and thus has a neurotoxic venom. This can cause paralysis of diaphram and lungs and heart. I have read that it is a painless way to go though.

The only "upside" to being bitten by a coral, is depending on the size, it is hard for them to get a good bite. Being in the elapid family, they have short, fixed fangs, where as the pit vipers, have long fangs that fold back when not in use. Much easier to get a sold lethal bite.

Main point, I guess, is to just leave them alone if you can. Usually its the human that goes looking to kill the snake, not the other way around.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM
zombiekiller
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nsaan
My method of handling snakes is using a square point shovel... off with their heads. It works on all of the ones I have come across.

Thats ridiculous.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 PM
vwfreak
More Turbo
Had loads of great reptilian experiences in FL. A gal i knew had a gorgeous pair of Canebrake rattlers... LOADS of pink on those two. I used to go hunting for rat snakes with her husband in N Florida. We were in my jon boat once and he grabbed a 3 foot gator and tossed it back towards me into the bottom of the boat. His idea of a little fun....

I still haven't seen a single snake since I've been in AZ, and we've been here 6+ years now. Guess I don't get out enough!!

Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
zombiekiller
Senior User
Originally Posted by vwfreak
Had loads of great reptilian experiences in FL. A gal i knew had a gorgeous pair of Canebrake rattlers... LOADS of pink on those two. I used to go hunting for rat snakes with her husband in N Florida. We were in my jon boat once and he grabbed a 3 foot gator and tossed it back towards me into the bottom of the boat. His idea of a little fun....

I still haven't seen a single snake since I've been in AZ, and we've been here 6+ years now. Guess I don't get out enough!!

Canebreaks are nice! There are similar to the mohave's out here, in regard to the fact that they are a buzz tail, but have been known to have neurotoxic venom as well.

haha gotta love the gator toss! I had to jump on one at an educational event at Luke Air Force Base. Everyone just froze, and screamed, so I got on him. After I did the "scary" part, then all the other guys decided to lend a hand lol.

Yeah, I don't see as many snakes as I used to as a kid. Now, I really have to LOOK for them to find them, whereas as a kid, I had to look to avoid them lol.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Howdy guys well the party was a succes. Got tons of pics of the bronco and trailer out and about even some of our buddies 04 Chevy 2500 4x4 long bed super cab. We were up till 11 at night having fun. Craig I will see if he does but I doubt it. I don't like snakes nor spiders I hate them. My dad brings them home all the time dead of course. I see them in our yard off with thier heads it is. But I usually see rats instead out here they are worse. I will upload those pics later today. Well got to get back to school work then I can work on something else.
Trav

Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by Bill W
Speaking of snakes... i spent today cleaning a section of the acre and saw a 6 foot bull snake and a California king snake, no wonder i have not seen rattle snakes this year!

I just left them alone.
Now I can live with either of those two varieties. To find a couple of them the feeding must of been good. You need to keep them around, maybe import in some rattlers for them to eat.
This is a hard day for me. My Mother passed away last night. I got the news when I turned on my phone in morning. My brother had left a message last & his ex wife had emailed me this morning with her condolences. So getting up & turning on things sure didn't bring a happy start. I'm just numb right now. She is in a better place & is at peace. She was 90 years old. She had a good long life. She & I were real close for most of my adult life. It's strange how I had a feeling that the call might come last night.
Listening to your inner voice or whatever anyone wants to call it, is always right. It sure takes training yourself to listen to that voice.
Craig

Old 09-04-2012, 05:08 PM
zombiekiller
Senior User
Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
Howdy guys well the party was a succes. Got tons of pics of the bronco and trailer out and about even some of our buddies 04 Chevy 2500 4x4 long bed super cab. We were up till 11 at night having fun. Craig I will see if he does but I doubt it. I don't like snakes nor spiders I hate them. My dad brings them home all the time dead of course. I see them in our yard off with thier heads it is. But I usually see rats instead out here they are worse. I will upload those pics later today. Well got to get back to school work then I can work on something else.
Trav
Maybe if you guys left their heads on, you wouldn't quite as bad of a rat problem lol.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:10 PM
zombiekiller
Senior User
Originally Posted by kermmydog
Now I can live with either of those two varieties. To find a couple of them the feeding must of been good. You need to keep them around, maybe import in some rattlers for them to eat.
This is a hard day for me. My Mother passed away last night. I got the news when I turned on my phone in morning. My brother had left a message last & his ex wife had emailed me this morning with her condolences. So getting up & turning on things sure didn't bring a happy start. I'm just numb right now. She is in a better place & is at peace. She was 90 years old. She had a good long life. She & I were real close for most of my adult life. It's strange how I had a feeling that the call might come last night.
Listening to your inner voice or whatever anyone wants to call it, is always right. It sure takes training yourself to listen to that voice.
Craig
Craig,

I am sorry to hear about your mom. Your family will be in my prayers brother.

Matt

Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
The snakes around here don't eat the rats Matt they are some type of vegetarian snakes. Craig I am sorry to hear the sad news about your mom. Right now thier is probably tons of rats living in our 85 Chevy Van they don't seem to like the trucks or Suvs that have been sitting for along time just the Van wierd.
Trav

Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
zombiekiller
Senior User
lol.

Almost all species will eat rats. Some prefer lizards, but usually they grow out of that as they get older. But it really depends on the natural environment that the snake lives in. The Tiger Rattler, Crotalus tigris, main food is lizards.

I would bet that they are eating them, but by killing the snakes, the rats are just over running them. Plus, rodents reproduce a lot faster then snakes do.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Here you guys go some pics of our B2 and a good buddies 2004 Chevy 2500 super cab long bed 6.0 truck. Only our B2 was pulling a trailer. I rode in the Chevy because the my dad mom and 2 brothers were in the B2 while me my sister and my buddy and his wife rode in his Chevy not to powerful for a 8 cyl 3/4 ton truck. The roads were pretty bad and my dad ended up losing the hitch pin some where along the line. We noticed it this morning when we went to hook up trailer lights. Lucky we got the trailer home. Even though the roads were bad we never had to put either of the truck in 4x4.
Trav

Behind the bronco is the scenary of what I see everyday called the mesa redonda it is right behind me litearally it is nice to see that every morning and here the coyotes howling.

On the way home I just rode in the bed of the chevy since it was so hot.
By the way in this next photo we were trying to get to one of our buddies property and we lost the rode so we made our own road to get thier. Sorry it is so bad we were rattling around so much in the truck I couldn't get the best pic.

Trav

Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 PM
zombiekiller
Senior User
Looks nice Trav. That would be real neat to see everyday you go outside.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interwebs been out all day! Craig, Prayers sent your way, sorry to hear about you Mom passing. well i have tools to clean... back later, if the internet is working.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
I love seeing it matt you wouldn't believe it. If I ever get mad or something you can easily walk it off out here.
Trav

Quick Reply: JUNE to DECEMBER CHAT-2012