Ranger409
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 100% correct!!!

Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
Hi Jim,

What you are suggesting would extend the life on single platinum
plugs. One thing to notice, however. If you pay close attention to
the OEM Motorcraft plugs, they are single platinum!! But, the plugs in one bank have a different letter suffix in the P/N than the
plugs in the other bank. This is because the outer electrode is
platinum on one plug P/N, while the center electrode is platinum
in the other plug P/N.....So, if the plugs are pulled, and
re-installed, it's important to put the plugs back into the same
bank that they came out of.....
Jim, you are 100% correct!!!, its good to see people that know what their talking about, Bravo!!!, by the way, im Tim, i just joined, looking forward to the fun here.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:57 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Tim, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 09-01-2005, 11:57 PM
boulderdentist
Junior User
Single Platinum vs double platinum ?

Have an 89 Ranger SuperCab with the 2.9 L, three years ago, now 65,000 miles later decided it was time to change out the plugs. They were Autolite single platinum and the engine was running fine. It has a coil and distributor. The plugs had light tan deposits, light to moderate rounding of the center electrodes, but the gap had increased from the original 0.044 to a little over 0.080 inch. This time I went with double platinum before I read this thread. Is that an excessive increase in gap for the mileage? Even if the double platinums are not "necessary" got them for $2.74 per plug after rebate, so in theory they should last longer with less gap erosion. I have a little over 137,000 on the truck so maybe the plugs will outlive it. Though I have yet to check, seems like I am getting better gas mileage which is nice in the current climate of $3.00 plus per gallon gas.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:12 AM
2000ranger44
New User
Originally Posted by saintthomas
Hey all, I just wanted to share a great $$$$$ saver for you. I changed to Autolite Doulbe Platinum plugs and Autolite Professional wires. Guys, these things are hot! I won't be putting anything else on my Ranger. And for $4 a plug and about $30 for wires you can't beat it. And just a tip, if you have the EDIS system and use single platinums, you are wasting your money. With the unique firing of an EDIS single platinum causes EXCESSIVE wear on the plug. Do it right, do it once.
should I use double platinum plugs on my 2000 f/ranger?

Old 01-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000ranger44
should I use double platinum plugs on my 2000 f/ranger?
It will be hard to find DP's these days, both Motorcraft and Autolite make "fine wire" platinum plugs which are now recommended by Ford as OEM replacments.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:34 AM
bumpin_BII
Senior User
whil e the ngks blow in a good ole ford or chebby they plain and simpply are the best thing i have ever had in my nissan or my honda. i think it's more that the plug wasn't designed for the ford but someone figured out "hey this plug fits that hole!!!"

Old 04-28-2006, 07:09 AM
4x4Ranger
New User
I've heard that the original plugs that Ford used in the 3.0 V-6's are too hot. Can anyone tell me the correct plug #'s I need for my '98 Rord Ranger with the 3.0 V-6? This truck is not a FFV engine. I would prefer the (Autolite part #'s). Right now the Autolites that I am using are the 764's and look like they are running just a " little bit" on the hot side. Any info. on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:49 AM
kelecoleman
New User
Found this thread yesterday. I concur with the information on the Bosch plugs. I installed Platinum 4+ (I think they are called) at 25K miles on my '03 Ranger FFV. After reading this thread today I changed my plugs to Autolite APP104 dual platinum at 60K miles. The curb side Bosch plugs I took out looked very good, the center electrode looked normal. The road side plugs looked like the center electrode was split into several threads. I had noticed my truck was not accelerating like it had been. I was attributing this to the tranny because I have had problems with Ford trannys before. I started and idled it today after the change but I won't be able to run it until tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:14 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Forgive the ignorance guys but I'm getting a little confused about the dual bank statements.

With respect to my engine 2004 3.0 FFV, this obviously doesn't have dual spark plug banks. Since my 3.0 had the coil pack ignition, is this DIS or EDIS? Not real clear on the difference with respect to my 3.0.

Since I do not have dual spark plugs banks, am I correct that the Double Platinum plugs are still recommended for my engine?

Thanks,
CMOS

Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CMOS
Forgive the ignorance guys but I'm getting a little confused about the dual bank statements.

With respect to my engine 2004 3.0 FFV, this obviously doesn't have dual spark plug banks. Since my 3.0 had the coil pack ignition, is this DIS or EDIS? Not real clear on the difference with respect to my 3.0.

Since I do not have dual spark plugs banks, am I correct that the Double Platinum plugs are still recommended for my engine?
Having "dual spark plug banks" (like the 2.3L) means simply that the ignition system fires two spark plugs per cylinder. That is why the 4 banger has 8 spark plugs total.

Having a "waste spark" ignition means something else - that one coil fires two seperate cylinders at the same time. That is why a V6 with DIS/EDIS (like your '03 3.0L) will be equipped with a single coilpack that contains three coils.

Summary of Ford DIS/EDIS "Waste Spark" Ignition Systems

Last edited by Rockledge; 03-06-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my two cents worth on what may be happening here. Electrons repel each other. So it you have the spark jump from the tip to the electrode, you get a good even spark, but when you reverse the polarity, the design acts a little bit like an old fashoin radio tube, like a diode basically. It won't stop the flow of current, but it would increase the resistance across the gap in that direction. Its not unlike having too large a gap.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 AM
TYPC
New User
Sorry I'll have to read throught the post before i submit in the future

Last edited by TYPC; 08-23-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:45 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
I seem to be a exception , I have Bosch dual platinums and my mileage and power fall perfectly into what a truck with my gears and tires should get. Now I put in a set of NGK single plats to try them and OMG, the worst mileage ever!

Old 10-17-2008, 02:42 PM
98_danger_ranger
New User
man i will tell you all i am SOLD on the platnium plugs and wires.

i was getting 120 miles to 20 dollars of fuel. rough starts (which is going away) wierd idle and rough at times, loss of power above 3k and put less than 20k on the bosche plugs and wires (spent alot on them)

i put the plugs n wires on yesterday and WOW. i got my power back through every gear and i mean passing power too in 5th!!! my miles JUMPED up per gallon like crazy!

WOW.... i love this site and my truck agian!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM
bcop803
New User
i would like the coilpack schematic u made

Quick Reply: New Double Platinum Plugs and Wires