6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Pulling event?

Old 06-09-2012, 01:16 AM
Hawaiian808
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling event?

I know pulling events are diesel based but has anyone seen a 6.2 go out and do a few pulls I'm. Curious were it would place in a stock class

Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
me too i seen one on utube in canada awhile back look like it made a full pull.my son pulls an 87 ford f250 in stock class all the time i plan on pulling mine in sept at local festival but the weight class is 6500lb my truck proly weighs around 7 i guess but i gonna pull it anyway just for curiosty i will let everybody know how it does.my truck is a 2011 f250 lariat crewcab with 3.73 gears

Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Hawaiian808
New User
We have fairs around here and I was going to do stock class, never pulled before but ill figure it out

Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 AM
rkmfordman
Senior User
im thinkin pull in second gear in manual mode and low range.pulling is alot about speed get alot of momentum while the weigt is on rear of sled also have your hitch as high as the rules allow and if truck starts bouncing let off thats when something is about to break.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Strokt350d
Junior User
We've been pulling for close to ten years now at all the local fairs. My brother in law has been nice enough to donate his trucks to the local dirt....

First of all, most "stock" trucks are not set up to pull correctly, so any further comments I have will pertain to stock trucks (aside from power adding devises). Also, this applies to an F250, not 350. The 350's sit classicly higher in the rear, and this changes EVERYTHING.....

1) Practice makes perfect. Just like any other sport. Every pull you do, you learn more, and pull further/better. No questions
2) With a stock truck (stock suspension) and no weight on the front bumper, the higher hitch in the rear always hurt us. Picture the back tires being like the center of a see-saw. When you floor it, the truck digs and lifts the front end up. The higher the hitch, the harder it pushes on the back, the LESS traction you have in the front. For a stocker, we always take it about an inch or two below max height.
3) Here's a big one. The trailer. Some advance weight by time, and others advance weight by distance. If you've got some good horsepower, we have found that if it's by time, run the truck in high range, first gear, and get out there faster. By the time the weight comes on, your haulin a$$. Tough to stop that weight at 30mph.... If it's by distance, the weight starts to come on hard at maybe 1/3 track or so... In that case, you want the truck in low range.
4) Tire pressure. If the hitch is about 1-2 inches below max, run the tires low for traction. We tried full PSI (only because we have the horsepower to spin them hard), but all it did was wheel hop the front end something so fierce it would make any Ford owner cry.......

As far as what gear........ These trucks have AWESOME power....... when Ford wants you to have it. I feel that if these trucks were to ever shift into 2nd gear, you would fall out of the power band something fierce and never recover. On the other hand, if you started to see the rpm's drop, you could just push the button down to 1st or something. For the record, I don't think you should or could start in second, even in low range, but everything's worth a try.

Post up your truck details, and which Fair your pulling in. If I can see the trailer, or get specs on the track, I may be able to throw you a decent receipe to at least get you moving. I always find that truck pullers are a great bunch of guys too. Your best bet is probably palling around in the pits. Find a guy that's got a similiar based truck. Grab two beers, and go chat with him....

Old 06-13-2012, 12:04 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
most of the raptors that i see pulling sled on utube pull in second there is one that appears to pull in first but he doesent get far just goes bouut 5mph with rev limiter kickin in and out like crazy that is a good point about the hitch though.the sled we pull is an old style with the big weight box and has to be pulled back by tractor