1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Pre-runner OBS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-runner OBS?

After going to the dunes this past weekend, I have decided on 2 things. F350 front leaf springs are not forgiving and I would like a truck with a little nicer body on it. Having said that, and after talking to Tim (TjBeggs) briefly this weekend, I have started looking in rust free areas for a truck. It seems like 2wd are easier to find as well as cheaper. I figured I could swap all of my parts over and make one 4wd OR because I primarily use it to tow and play in the dunes a little, I could make a pre-runner out of it.

I am curious what your thoughs are. I figure I could use my current build (minus the Edge programmer, I am currently looking into a PHP setup) and put it in a 2wd, with a small lift and a locker in the rear and maybe a set of paddle tires. My biggest concern is having a 900+ pound motor flopping on coils. I would not be looking to get any air with it, and just would want to make it able to have a taller tire and be able to soak up the bumps. Any thoughs?

-Joseph

Old 05-29-2012, 04:30 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
might look into the 05-07 or 08-10 front springs

id bet it wouldnt be that hard to swap the axle in and still have 4wd

Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
It isn't about the challenge of swapping a live axle in. My F250 currently sits on a D60 up front, it is about something different as well as practical. Any thoughts on pushing that much weight up a sand dune and the beating the front end would take in doing so? All my four wheeling experience in the sand has been with the exact opposite, gasser V8 in a Grand Cherokee, so the power/weight ratio was a lot different.

-Joseph

Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I've been thinking about a four door so if you wanna make me a offer on the one in my sig I may be willing to let it go. It's a single cab 2wd

Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I lived in Phoenix for a while and I have a decent amount of knowledge in wheeling in the sand. For what it's worth, I wouldn't do a stroke pre runner. That motor is just too much weight, IMHO. Pre running is about agility, quickness and the ability to soak up the whoops. All of which would be extremely hard to do with a PSD. That being said, anything is possible and I'd love to ride in it if you pull it off!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Junior User
Search Petersens 4wheel and off road magazines website. They had a psd prerunner build in an issue a few years ago (2005ish). They built a chase truck that was able to keep up with the actual race truck. I recall it having leaves and a ttb axle if I remember correctly.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
There are a few guys running a PSD with coils in an OBS.

Lots of work but worth it.

As for rust free PSD's. I have em all day here in middle Tenn.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 AM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tons of rust free and cheap trucks in texas

Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
Ok, after much deliberation, I have decided that I am going to retain the D60 up front and look into putting coils up front. I have seen kits to do this using aftermarked radius arms and I may give it a go. This would deffinitely be a winter project. I have been looking in TX, MO, and NM for rust free. I didn't realize they could be had as close as TN. I am planning to wait and see if I am going to do it with the truck I already have or if I can find the right rust free CC, I will put it off until I can do it to the truck I truly want.

Talyn - I am afraid I am not that well traveled, I didn't realize that TN could hold something rust free. When the time comes to find what I am looking for, if you are willing, I may reach out to you for some guidance. I can turn TN in a weekend if I have to. I was in Gatlingburg for my honeymoon some years ago and I know I made that in around 11 hours. Though it would take a little more time to get it home on a trailer.

-Joseph

Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Dutch Semi
Ok, after much deliberation, I have decided that I am going to retain the D60 up front and look into putting coils up front. I have seen kits to do this using aftermarked radius arms and I may give it a go. This would deffinitely be a winter project. I have been looking in TX, MO, and NM for rust free. I didn't realize they could be had as close as TN. I am planning to wait and see if I am going to do it with the truck I already have or if I can find the right rust free CC, I will put it off until I can do it to the truck I truly want.

Talyn - I am afraid I am not that well traveled, I didn't realize that TN could hold something rust free. When the time comes to find what I am looking for, if you are willing, I may reach out to you for some guidance. I can turn TN in a weekend if I have to. I was in Gatlingburg for my honeymoon some years ago and I know I made that in around 11 hours. Though it would take a little more time to get it home on a trailer.

-Joseph
Yeah, TN is south of rust belt. Lots of good trucks down here.

Rust belt starts up in kentucky.

Before you go crazy on coils.
Look into doing the V-code RSK conversion.

One of the reasons our trucks are so rough is because of the forward moving shackles.

Where you at anyways? I'm guessing up in michigan if you were at the dunes talking to Tim.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
You could also look at airbagit.com

Do an adjustable air suspension up front, or both front and rear. Great ride, good for towing...

Old 05-31-2012, 12:58 AM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
I am in Michigan, about an hour south of Tim. I was talking to a buddy about maybe doing an RSK conversion or maybe *******izing my leafs to find a softer combination. The thought about coils was a fleeting one, I would rather spend money elsewhere. Is there an RSK that will retain the height I am at. I once looked at Sky manufacturing and it looks like that will add a few inches in suspension. My truck sits up high enough with the F350 springs as it is.

-Joseph

Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Junior User
Swap the TTB back in(as that is the best 4wd pre-runner axle for a ford) get some hoop style F150 upper spring buckets, get a set of 4" lifted coils for a '06 ish f250 psd, make a couple of lower spring pads or rob them from a TTB F150. Lastly, a set of radius arms from your favorite manufacturer and some F150 radius arm brackets.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
I am in Michigan, about an hour south of Tim. I was talking to a buddy about maybe doing an RSK conversion or maybe *******izing my leafs to find a softer combination. The thought about coils was a fleeting one, I would rather spend money elsewhere. Is there an RSK that will retain the height I am at. I once looked at Sky manufacturing and it looks like that will add a few inches in suspension. My truck sits up high enough with the F350 springs as it is.

-Joseph
Muskagon.

Anyways.

The reason the d60 rides so rough is because of the shackle setup.

350 leafs are actually softer than 250 leafs.

The V-code setup requires more work, but the springs are longer and softer.
With the RSK, it will ride like a champ.

Just remember without the RSK with a TTB or a d60, when you flex the axle from a bump, its slamming the tire into the hole/bump/obstacle.

So they will ride like crap no matter what.

Fabwork and price on an RSK Conversion with v-codes will be cheaper than doing a coil conversion unless you get a doner truck to swap parts from.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:55 PM
kenny adkins
New User

-Joseph
Wondering where you saw the kit to put the PSD Coils on the OBS? Guy tried to sell me the front and the rear 2005 axles and I really want to do it but mounting springs is my biggest concern.

Quick Reply: Pre-runner OBS?