Sponsored by: Moser

Just picked up my 2012 F-150 special order

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 PM
dkk
Cross-Country
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face Just picked up my 2012 F-150 special order

It's a 5.0 4x4 XLT supercab with electronic locking 3.55 diff. Never drove a new one till I picked up mine. Pretty impressed with the 5.0. I went XLT instead of fx4 to save a little money but kind of wish i'd done the fx4. But I wanted a cloth adobe interior. My '99 xlt was better equipped than what you can get now on an xlt. No skid plates! Man, 4x4 should all come standard with those. They put the cheapest tires I ever saw on a 4x4, hankook, don't even look AT. Even when you special order a vehicle, you are kind of limited on what you can get.

I am going to have to warm to this one. And get some better tires, spray in bed liner, camo bug shield, etc.

d

Old 05-25-2012, 06:21 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations on the new truck.... I think? I can't figure out if you're happy or mad.

What exactly couldn't you get that you wanted?

There are skid plates with XLT. I got them with the off-road package for something like $80. I wasn't limited at all. I got exactly what I wanted on my XLT and it is loaded up very nice. My dealer even installs heated seats if you want.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 PM
dkk
Cross-Country
Ordered it through a dealership . . . .

Was limited to what i could get by "packages". Otherwise i would have addedthe sony sound system, off road pkg, and some better tire/wheels.

d

Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by dkk
Was limited to what i could get by "packages". Otherwise i would have addedthe sony sound system, off road pkg, and some better tire/wheels.

d
Yeah I hear ya on the packages. But, since 1999, Ford has added many new trim levels to the F-150. A base FX4 and decked out XLT are fairly close in price. I also went with the XLT and I'm very impressed over all. I have 12K on mine now and the Hankook tires are holding up remarkably well but they don't have much traction.

Congrats on your purchase!

Old 05-26-2012, 04:50 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
my biggest gripe with the post '03 F150's is that ford doesn't offer factory wheel flares on all the 4x4 models, you have to buy a FX4 or higher to get them.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to select the 3.73 locker to get the off road package on the xlt. I prefer the xlt over the Fx4 because tit doesnt have the center shift console and you can get a third seat up front. It's the working man's truck for sure.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:06 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Ya, you're right. I already had the max trailer tow with 3.73 gears and had also chosen the electronic locker when the dealer pointed out how cheap it was to add the off-road package.

I wanted a lot of things but didn't want leather and didn't want the flow-through center console. That put me in the XLT. I was really debating between the fold down center seat and the smaller console. I ended up choosing the smaller console because the drink holders are in a much better location and the storage is large enough for my wife's purse if she leaves it in the truck.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:05 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Congratulations on the new ride, but remember...

Old 05-30-2012, 03:02 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Congrats on the new truck! I hope I can say the same thing soon.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:27 PM
ZebraSix
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you ordered it was there any option for a manual transmission? I know there aren't any on the website, but maybe they have something special that I don't know about. Probably not, my dream of a manual is probably just dead, but I thought I'd grasp at a few straws. Congrats on the new truck.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 PM
camper1333
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dkk
It's a 5.0 4x4 XLT supercab with electronic locking 3.55 diff. Never drove a new one till I picked up mine. Pretty impressed with the 5.0. I went XLT instead of fx4 to save a little money but kind of wish i'd done the fx4. But I wanted a cloth adobe interior. My '99 xlt was better equipped than what you can get now on an xlt. No skid plates! Man, 4x4 should all come standard with those. They put the cheapest tires I ever saw on a 4x4, hankook, don't even look AT. Even when you special order a vehicle, you are kind of limited on what you can get.

I am going to have to warm to this one. And get some better tires, spray in bed liner, camo bug shield, etc.

d
Congrats on the new truck. We just bought ours - it's coming from out of town.
This is our first Ford. We had a Silverado and then bought an 07 Tundra. This was a great truck, but was hard to order because of all the "if you order this, you have to take that". It ended up perfect so we were fine. We ordered a new Tundra, waited two months, went to pick it up and OOPS, the interior color was wrong. We found another Tundra out of town with a different interior (interior on new truck was the same as the truck being traded. Nothing has changed in five years, so he wanted something different) Three days, no word, we call, dealer who agreed to swap sold the truck, now we had 0 trucks to chose from. No help from anyone. Husband went looking for trucks - saw the GMC, but was not impressed. Loved the Ford, he's really glad he was forced to look elsewhere. I called Toyota corp, told them my sad tale, he types on computer in the background and says I will hear from him within 24 hours - Have you heard from him??? I haven't - just wanted to know!!!
So we are Fordies now - well soon..
See you around the forum.
Camper1333

Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Congrats on new truck. You'll like it. I am another who doesn't like the availability of things I want unless it's in a package. I don't like the fact that limited slip isn't really available except in the max payload package. I'd consider an Fx4 if I could get the XLT center console. The flowthru console and floor shift and cup holder placement are deal breakers for me. The way things are going I may just keep the 06 another 10 years. I wish it had the EcoBoost and 6 speed automatic. But I don't have all the electronic nannies that add to the cost of purchase and repair that I don't need. So I'll just suffer with the 06 for awhile longer.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 PM
66fdtrucknut
Posting Guru
I just picked up my 12' Black grille special, Had to order it, 5.0 3.73 LS and hvy duty payload pkg 163" WB. I don't like carpet and like to roll up my own windows. The 5.0 was a definite upgrade over the 09's 4.6 2v...gutless turd of a motor. The 1st truck that came in was wrong, no payload pkg. 3.73 ELD nice but didn't order it. Happy this one is right.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
dkk
Cross-Country
Well, the new F-150 is growing on me.

Since I wanted the 3.55 electronic locker, I couldn't order off road package which comes with 3.73. So, I just bought the skid plates and hardware for the front, nearly $300.00. I found out the skid plate to cover the 26 gallon fuel tank is nearly $600.00. Yikes! That will have to wait. I like the fact that it came with the dual electric cooling fans. I installed a Troyer Performance dual fan kit on my "99, and it was a great upgrade. So, after I get my Linex bedliner sprayed in, a camo bug shield, and some more aggressive AT tires and maybe 18" wheels, I will go for the other skid plate, oh, and the off road tuned shocks, which also are a part of the off road package I couldn't get with the 3.55s. Overall though, I like the truck. The 5.0 is pretty stout and I am averaging about 19.1 over my 80 mile commute to work.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:19 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I'll add a little insult to injury here i guess...

it keeps getting repeated here that the XLT is the working man's truck, and i understand what you mean. but really, the XL is the truck for the guy who needs a truck for work.

Skid plates can be added for 160 bucks on any 4x4 XL.
if one did not need the convinence package, it would have been cheaper to order the XL with aluminum rims and just order a different front facia.

people always count out the XL's because they arent flashy, but really, if you just need a truck and not a status symbol, you really can get about the best lines of options on the XL. Even an ecoboost max tow with skid plates are available .... i don't think you can get that anywhere short of an FX4, but have to pay a ton more for it.

Quick Reply: Just picked up my 2012 F-150 special order