1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just bought a 1954 F100, Want to 302 & AOD What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Clayton Bennett
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 1954 F100, Want to 302 & AOD What do I need?

Just bought a 1954 F100 that needs EVERYTHING.
Just thought I would start pricing any conversion kits or oil pans, driveshafts etc, to see what all I am going to need to shove a 302 with an automatic overdrive trans into it. Would like to stay carb.

I know I am not the only one who has ever done this,
but I can't find anything on the forum about it!

Anything you guys can point me towards I sure would appreciate it!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Hey Clayton,
Welcome to the madness! Truck looks great and do the dogs. Gotta love dogs. Couple of questions: What part of the country are you in? Do you have a working engine/tranny currently? 302's are a nice upgrade but personally I like the 351W. If you are going to go big, go all the way. Check out Midfifty.com They have a lot of parts and pieces to make things easier. Not to discourage you but when you go to a bigger drivetrain you are undertaking a lot of additional expense and work. Just know that going into it. A lot of people get gung ho about engine swaps and give up mid-build. How is your suspension? You will need to make sure your suspension can handle a bigger motor. Just a few thoughts to start with.

Good luck and post some more pics!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 AM
skuzzel_butt
Junior User
Hey Clayton,
A few things to consider before getting started:
Are you going to keep the stock front suspension or go with an independent setup? A lot of the ifs give you options for motor mounts. If your staying with a stock setup speedway motors have a lot motor mount choices. They also have universal tranny mounts. The only problem with the aod is setting up the t/v cable, the aid does not use a lockdown cable in uses a Throttle valve to shift the Trans. It's a little more involved setting it up with a carb. The aftermarket has it covered with cables and linkages. If you google aod t/v you can get an idea of what's involved. I went with a 302 c4 combo. As far as a drive shaft your going to need to find a local shop to either shorten one or make up a new one. You also might want to think about upgrading your wiring. If you can get a donor vehicle for your drivetrain, then you have all the accessory brackets, pulleys, ect. Fords are a little more involved getting everything to line up and work together.
There much more but this should get you started.

Joe

Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
AmericanROCKBREAD!
Senior User
MONEY AND PATIENCE

Originally Posted by Clayton Bennett
Just bought a 1954 F100 that needs EVERYTHING.
Just thought I would start pricing any conversion kits or oil pans, driveshafts etc, to see what all I am going to need to shove a 302 with an automatic overdrive trans into it. Would like to stay carb.

I know I am not the only one who has ever done this,
but I can't find anything on the forum about it!

Anything you guys can point me towards I sure would appreciate it!
Hi Clayton - You ask what you need? MONEY AND PATIENCE!! LOL

As some have already mentioned, you'll need to look at everything from suspension, steering, brakes, spring pin, springs, shackles, rear end, transmission, engine, fuel tank, wiring, heat, AC, glass, doors, and so on.

I'm doing the same thing as you are in that my truck needed everthing too and I'm going 5.0/AOD - My plan is to get it running and on the road, then incrimentally upgrade. Many have mentioned that it's easy to lose interest in a project that you can't drive, so I'm making a driver 1st, body work later.

Expect cans of worms everywhere. One thing leads to another when you start tearing in, so be patient and have a place to keep your project that won't be in the way. You'll spend more money than you expect, so keep that in mind too. Money and patience.

Welcome to FTE and se'll see ya on the board! Joe

Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome Clayton.
First thing you want to do after logging in is go to your control panel (click on "user cp" in the light blue band just below the Club Ford Truck logo at the top of the page) and fill in the rest of the information such as your city and state, vehicle year and model etc. That info can help us to better help you.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 AM
JACKUS2
Freshman User
Welcome Clayton
I kept mine original for a few years and after getting tossed around the cab. I decided to put an independent front on it (Chrysler). Then after riding around in this Texas heat I wanted an AC unit (Vintage Air). Next up was one piece class. Then Dakota Digital instruments. What I’m getting to is. The project will never end. I buy all most of what I have from Mid-Fifty in AZ. After all it’s all in the journey to me anyway. I’m always trying to improve it. I hope you have as much fun as I have. Good luck
p.s. I put a 351W with a C4 behind it.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
If you go with a ifs you will need a rearsump oilpan and a aod you will need a aftermarket column to fit the ifs. Then you might think about stopping the beast so a new brake booster to match the disk brakes. The ifs will drop the front 4'' without the drop axles so the rear will need to drop also. As other have told ya Midfiftys can help you with all of this. WELCOME and like Johnny Cash said 1 PEICE AT A TIME. But in todays world you will need ALOT of dimes. LOL GOOD LUCK !!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Clayton Bennett
New User
Wow! Thank you everyone for all your replies!
I never expected so much help! = D

This truck needs everything, I have wanted this truck for the past 6 years, but Its not on my TOP list of priorities, so I'm not in a huge rush to get it done. I will take my time on this project, and make it exactly what I want.

I live in MO

I recently built a 331 stroker 88 mustang GT (Sold it to put the money towards this project) so I have a little bit of mechanical experience but no experience retrofitting or fabricating anything.

The idea of IFS sounds very appealing but the cost scares me away.
I definitely want to lower the truck 3-4"

Suspension and brakes are something I have never messed with much.

I will keep my eye out for a 351W!

My ultimate goal is to build a comfortable driver as cheap as possible.
I plan to replace all the wiring etc. I definitely want A/C, I have been looking at Vintage Air.. Is that the best way to go?

Here in a few I will be tearing it down to the frame, having the frame sand blasted and powder coated.

Can anyone point me to an old post on the forum where someone has done something similar to what I am doing with pictures etc? I know I am not the only guy who has wanted to drive a mid fiftys ford down the interstate at 2000 rpm lol

Thanks again!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Photograph everything as it comes apart so you know where everything goes back. Keep all the bolts/clips/nuts etc in bags and label them. Even if you don't re-use them you'll know what size to replace them with. It will make the rebuild much smoother.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 PM
55f100tx
Senior User
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy
Photograph everything as it comes apart so you know where everything goes back. Keep all the bolts/clips/nuts etc in bags and label them. Even if you don't re-use them you'll know what size to replace them with. It will make the rebuild much smoother.
that right there is the best advise anyone can give you. i marked and saved everything. its a time saver and prevents alot of head scratching later. i took mine down to the cab and frame this winter, rebuilding the front suspension and cab body work. Now i ended up swaping a 9 inch out of a 69 i have. the truck may not be back on the road for a year or more. The more i do the more i want to change.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Clayton. Your getting alot of good solid information from the guys that have experience with f-100s. I have a feeling that by the time you get your frame stripped you will have a pretty good idea of what you will want to do, and be abel to set up your motor mounts and any other frame mods b4 powder coat. Picking up a motor and tranny are pretty safe to buy anytime (b4 powder coat if you do) once you have decided what you want, however personaly unless your positive of everything you will need, I wouldnt get so far ahead of yourself, that you end up with a lot of stuff that you dont use. There are a lot of folks on here that are so organized that they can order everything b4 they start, but Im defenitly not one of them. IMPO take it slow, and enjoy every moment you share with your truck. Im glad to see you on the forum, and looking forward to watching your project. Welcome

Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Clayton Bennett
New User
Here are some more pictures...
I will be looking for a donor car.. What are some good candidates for IFS?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:38 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm not trying to be negative or discouraging, but that's a pretty rough place to start if you are not experienced in body work, fabrication, suspension etc and have to work within a tight budget. Your build is not going to be inexpensive. Yes, there are some that have started with less, but I don't expect many of those would do it again or recommend it. There is a fact in this hobby a budget DIY build is going to cost 15-20K (the higher end includes basic paint and upholstery) If you start with a 500.00 basket case you'll put 14.5-19.5K into it before it sees the highway under it's own power.
If you start with solid body and running licensed example that just needs some finishing touches, that costs 8-10K you might eventually put another 7-10K into it making it your own.
The difference is that the first project will take 3-10 years (or more!) of most all your free time and you will be falling over a pile of parts tieing up your garage and 1/2 your yard for years, constantly consume most all your discretionary funds and seeming to your SO and neighbors (and unless you are super dedicated, yourself) that it will never be completed.
The latter project will be something you can drive and enjoy within the first year of ownership, can be upgraded as your time and funds allow without needing to be off the road for long periods of time. It can be pulled in and out of the garage, driven to places to have work you can't do yourself done, and give you much pride and pleasure.
It likely isn't what you'd really like to hear, but you need to go in honestly informed and with realistic expectations.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Speedcanuck
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So any updates on this project?
Im rebuilding 54 f100 also. Got her down to frame, sandblasted and just welding in IFS.
Although i want to rebuild flathead, since this is going to be my daughter's truck for first (few) years, i thought it would be best to put a 302 into it. Easier to get parts and get people to help her if she breaks down when im not around. Wanted to know how yours has gone.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 PM
TireDood
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
What part of MO? I'm in northeast AR, and would be happy to show you what I've done to my 51. I'm installing a 302 and AOD, as well as Vintage Air and most of the other goodies that you mentioned. I should have it on the road within the next couple of months!

Quick Reply: Just bought a 1954 F100, Want to 302 & AOD What do I need?