I feel sorry for this guy lol - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

I feel sorry for this guy lol

Old 05-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Post Fiend

earthquake68 has a very good reputation on FTE.earthquake68 has a very good reputation on FTE.earthquake68 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984montemaniac View Post
Stinky,

I'll jump in on this.....if I look careful, those doors have chrome handles...monte ss's are blacked out. That is the ugliest 84 Monte I have seen in a while..they were either white or blue. All had a blue interior....can't tell since there aren't any interior shots....notice the wheel wells are rotted? I bet the torque boxes at the front of the body are rotted on this car along with the rear frame rails....just looked at it again....chrome trim around windows should be black....i smell a clone
Torque boxes? You're aware that this is a full frame car that doesn't have torque boxes, right?

'84-'85 Monte's came in Black, white and steel blue. In '86 they added black cherry and silver. All had 3.73's in the rear. In 1986 or 7, they made them posi's standard.

The car IS 27 years old, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the door handles and colors. The door handles could've been replaced with ones from the help isle at the parts store. He could've had it repainted. I'll reserve judgement until I see the interior shot. One thing's for sure, those Camaro wheels didn't come with that car in ANY trim level.

Assuming he can't tell a Ford from a Chevy, it would take quite a bit of research to confirm the reality of it. If the 8th digit of the vin is a "G", then it's a real SS. (that's the engine code for the "high output" 305) The LS and base model V8's were an "H" engine code.

Yeah, I was big into these things a few years back. I had an '88 SS. (yes, they made an '88. It was limited to 3 months of production.)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Junior User

1984montemaniac is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthquake68 View Post
Torque boxes? You're aware that this is a full frame car that doesn't have torque boxes, right?

'84-'85 Monte's came in Black, white and steel blue. In '86 they added black cherry and silver. All had 3.73's in the rear. In 1986 or 7, they made them posi's standard.

The car IS 27 years old, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the door handles and colors. The door handles could've been replaced with ones from the help isle at the parts store. He could've had it repainted. I'll reserve judgement until I see the interior shot. One thing's for sure, those Camaro wheels didn't come with that car in ANY trim level.

Assuming he can't tell a Ford from a Chevy, it would take quite a bit of research to confirm the reality of it. If the 8th digit of the vin is a "G", then it's a real SS. (that's the engine code for the "high output" 305) The LS and base model V8's were an "H" engine code.

Yeah, I was big into these things a few years back. I had an '88 SS. (yes, they made an '88. It was limited to 3 months of production.)
I know they are full framed cars....we just refer the front mounts as torque boxes to differentiate them from the other mounts that are the big trouble makers..namely the 3 on the rear..both passenger side and the front driver behind the rear wheel. What do you call the front mount? Mine is a 3.42 and original non-posi factory turbo 350-c....had mine for 15 years....for me too much of the trim looks chrome...and yes those doors could have been changed, but the mirror position is correct for 84. The funny thing about 88 is not a single one was built that year..last month of production was december 87.....making it an 88 what color was yours? Rims look correct for 86-88....they were left over camaro wheels..so the story goes....
Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Used OEM parts guy

77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.
Ford site... Ford site.... focus on stuff with a blue oval in the steering wheel.

No really keep it up I love to learn about cars espicially chevy ones.

JK francis, so lighten up..... and laugh ok?

Alan how is you back? Ever heard of a trans jack, or at least a a floor jack?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Post Fiend

earthquake68 has a very good reputation on FTE.earthquake68 has a very good reputation on FTE.earthquake68 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Not to hijack the thread, but mine was silver with the burgundy interior. Yeah, limited to Sept, Oct and Nov 1987 build date. (at least I think they were the months. It's been a minute since I researched it) I think mine was built in September. I always just called the front mounts, the front mounts. I consider torque boxes to be the reinforced section of a torsion bar unibody. (Such as a Charger or Challenger)

As far as this car goes, who knows until you actually walk up on the thing. You may be right. Only a trip out there to eye ball it in person will tell for sure. You're right, they're easy to clone. That's why I threw the vin out there. You can change the nose, interior and trim, but you can't change the vin. I remember when these cars were new. I don't ever recall seeing one with Camaro wheels from the factory. They had styled steel wheels and an optional aluminum wheel in a similar style.

Rich, the back is really sore, but I have to get back after it tomorrow. Nothing gets done when the only employee is down for the count. I'll pick an easy job to do until I feel better.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Postmaster

ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey hey, all of us in South GA ain't too crazy. We do crazy stuff.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Senior User

Yeehaw1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
btw, he fixed the post title...