1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Help cleaning my original seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Poncherello
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help cleaning my original seat

So, pic #1 is what I found under the seat cover on the '60 F-100 I recently purchased. After some contemplating, I decided to remove the black re-cover on the top portion & see what was underneath. To my surprise, the original is not in that bad of shape, but under the black re-cover was a foam pad. Unfortunately, it looks like it's been there a long time and some of the foam stuck to & stained the original upholstery. I went at it for a little while last night with a soft brush & some hot soapy water, but very little came off. Does anyone know of any really good cleaners that wont hurt the original upholstery? As you can see, it's pretty dirty but I'm willing to put the time in....just don't want to hurt or discolor the original vinyl/fabric.

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
I think that I would be inclined to ask a local auto upholstery shop, or a professional automotive detailer for advice.But first, I'd probably try to scrub it 3 - 4 more times using Simple Green and see what happens.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Poncherello
New User
I thought about the professional approach too. I haven't lived here in New Mexico all that long & I know there are a lot of so-called "professionals" around here who won't even do as good a job as I could. I just don't know who's reputable & who's not. I'll keep trying with the Simple Green & ask around to see if I can get some references. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

There are a couple of New Mexico guys that hang out in the 48-56 Section.They are bobbytnm and ALBUQ F1.If you're in their neck of the woods they could probably make a recommendation.Maybe post a thread there seeking a referral?Also,there is at least one guy over there who is a professional auto upholsterer, but his name escapes me now.Good luck.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Poncherello
New User
I just tried some leather & vinyl cleaner with a little stiffer scrub brush.....still very disappointing results. That foam has been on there so long that it practically glued itself to my upholstery. I'm sure the New Mexico sun had something to do with this. I'm sure those guys you mentioned are near me....I'm about 10 minutes South of Albuquerque. I'll look them up & ask around for references. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Did somebody call my name?

....uh...no....it wasn't somebody it was my old buddy, the nobody. Hey there Steve-O!

Jerry, there are a couple of good upholstery shops in town. For the life of me I can't remember their names right now (rectal cranial inversion is a terrible thing). I'll ask around a bit tomorrow and see if something jogs my memory.
Another thing you might try is one of the smoke and water restoration companies; Servpro, Service Master, etc. I know of one local restoration compay Bear Restoration that maybe able help.
Bear Restoration and Remodeling-Albuquerque
I've met the owner and he seemed like a stand up guy. It might be worth sending him some pics and asking him if he can help.

My dad lives just south of you in Los Lunas. I lived down in Peralta many years ago. I go back and forth every so often. We should try and bump into each other one of these days and do some bench racing and swapping lies.
Good luck with the seat

Bobby

Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Poncherello
New User
Thanks SO MUCH for the advise, Bobby! I'll definitely check with Bear Restoration. You've probably driven past my shop many times. I'd be more than happy to meet up with you, or at least tell you where to look (on Hwy 47) if I'm not around the next time you come through.

Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Excellent.
Whats your shop? What type of work do you do?

I'll ask my buddy tomorrow about the auto upholstery place. I think they are one Central just east of the UNM area, but danged I can't remember the name.

Bobby

Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Poncherello
New User
It's not a commercial shop....really just a poll barn in a commercial neighborhood. I rent it for personal use.......for storing & working on my old cars (I have WAY too many projects). When I got divorced, I used my newfound freedom & extra money to expand my hobbies. It maybe has gotten a little out of control at this point!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
LOL, very cool
Yea, sometimes the ol' lady doesn't quite understand. Ever since I was a young man I've always heard "you love that car more than you love me"
I never have had an answer to that one. What usually goes through my head is....yup. Luckily my ol' lady is pretty understanding of my hobbies.

Bobby

Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Poncherello
New User
I always told my ex I would sell everything I've got for the right woman, but the right woman would never ask me to!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
LOL

I know my ol' lady will never leave me. If she did she'd have to take half of my stuff
She doesnt want that

Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Poncherello
New User
Hahaha!

That's great! I got lucky in that respect. She left me, & she didn't take me for a ride. We had a mutual understanding that way & she was good enough to honor it. We're still friends because of that fact.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Gosh, this is touching.A tear welled up in my eye.Call me a NOBODY, will ya?LOL!!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Poncherello
New User
Agreed! somehow we got way off point here?!?!?!?!?

Quick Reply: Help cleaning my original seat