Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

looking to buy 6.0

Old 05-23-2012, 01:14 PM
soulseamster
New User
soulseamster is starting off with a positive reputation.
looking to buy 6.0

So I'm selling my 2005 f150 5.4l because ill be towing app. 8000lbs couple times a mo. Or so which is a great excuse to get the heavy or super duty diesel I've been wanting! However I can't find a fair price on a 7.3l anywhere! they seem to only be found at dealerships at well above even retail prices! So I'm going to look at a 350 6.0l. 2005 king ranch in a couple hrs. They are asking 16k and it books at private party for 19k Been reading up on the 6.0 though cuz I was already skeptical and I'm a little worried. Gonna take it to a truck guy I know for a look over before I buy but how do I get the oasis report? so I know its history not just present running condition? Also any other advice opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
First off, welcome to FTE and the 6.0L forum.

I seriously doubt you'll find a low mileage 7.3L powered truck, they've been out of production for almost 10 years now. The Oasis report is only available through Ford dealerships...you'll need the VIN number for that. If the truck is sitting on a dealership lot, it shouldn't be any issue for them to produce one. As far as buying a used PSD truck....this is what I recommend looking for:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...used-6-0l.html

Something to keep in mind, the 7.3L and 6.0L are two completely different animals. The 6.0L is a higher maintenance engine, you've got to keep up with the PM on time & on schedule to have a long happy life with one. I'm not saying the 7.3L is a dog, but I wouldn't sell my 6.0L for one either.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 PM
MurderMode
Senior User
MurderMode is starting off with a positive reputation.
Agreed with almost everything. The 7.3 is a monster work truck but thats about all it's good for anymore. It will pull whatever you want wherever you want whenever you want. Unfortunately it will never be a toy. If you want a nice truck that can pull for you then get a 6.0. And the prices on the 7.3 are retarded, I found a 1999 7.3 CC with pretty low miles actually, but they wanted 17k for it! I laughed at the guy and offered home 10. He wasn't happy about that. Last I checked the truck was still sitting there. If you buy a stock 6.0, be prepared to put a few dollars into it. Not saying its going to have problems off the start but you'll need to do some preventative maintenance to make sure it will keep going. I would say right off the bat do a coolant flush, oil change, make sure you have the OEM oil cap and filter, EGR delete and head studs for sure if you're going to be pulling. Also an aftermarket exhaust with a high flow muffler will help keep temps down, just make sure you don't straight pipe. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 PM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
...and why NOT straightpipe it?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 PM
MurderMode
Senior User
MurderMode is starting off with a positive reputation.
Two reasons, the first is that a straight pipe gets loud when you get into higher RPMs. So towing 8,000 lbs around will push your RPMs higher and it will scream like a raped ape and get annoying fast. The second reason is that with a straight pipe you get rid of all exhaust back pressure which is needed to build torque, you lose pressure you lose torque. Now your turbo will make enough power for general driving and towing/hauling but without the added back pressure of a muffler/cat you are losing some bottom end. It will just squeal like a pig and slowly roll at 4k RPMs.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
pmoney1983
Senior User
pmoney1983 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MurderMode View Post
Two reasons, the first is that a straight pipe gets loud when you get into higher RPMs. So towing 8,000 lbs around will push your RPMs higher and it will scream like a raped ape and get annoying fast. The second reason is that with a straight pipe you get rid of all exhaust back pressure which is needed to build torque, you lose pressure you lose torque. Now your turbo will make enough power for general driving and towing/hauling but without the added back pressure of a muffler/cat you are losing some bottom end. It will just squeal like a pig and slowly roll at 4k RPMs.
Just an fyi, two words...... Incorrect statement.

Dont worry about the back pressure with these diesels.

As far as the noise. Yes it is an awesome sound. If you can handle it and you love a big bark and loud turbo and if the area you live in doesnt do emission controls pull off the CAT and save it in the garage and then straight pipe it with either a 4 or 5 inch pipe.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:02 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
The second reason is that with a straight pipe you get rid of all exhaust back pressure which is needed to build torque, you lose pressure you lose torque. Now your turbo will make enough power for general driving and towing/hauling but without the added back pressure of a muffler/cat you are losing some bottom end. It will just squeal like a pig and slowly roll at 4k RPMs.
Uh, are you sure your in the right forum? The 6.0L would run just the same with the stock exhaust or no exhaust. It isn't a 2-cycle diesel that needs the back-pressure for savaging. Yes, it will sound like a turbine engine with a straight pipe...but it will not effect the torque or horsepower of the engine like your suggestion.

Also, if you really want to open this can of worms....the 6.0L can pull anything a 7.3L if they're in equal trucks (same rear ends & tranny). I'm not saying the 7.3L is a boat anchor...I think it's a great motor, and when you consider how much it's leaps & bounds above it's predecessors; for it's era there wasn't a better engine in the 3/4 & 1 ton segment. But when you consider the displacement, horsepower & torque of the two...the 6.0L is the monster....PERIOD.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:11 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
I would say right off the bat do a coolant flush, oil change, make sure you have the OEM oil cap and filter, EGR delete and head studs for sure if you're going to be pulling.
Uh, 508HP, hauling ~16k with of horses and related crapola, putting on roughly 36-40k a year in mileage and still not only do I have the EGR system, but the same system that came with the truck when I took possession of it with 20 miles on the clock.

Now the studs I had to put in there due to all the mods that get me up to 508. The stock TTY wouldn't be able to hold it together. However, for the first 70k of the truck's life stock bolts did well with my towing demands.

The problem that I have with that statement is the definitive remark of "having" to do this that or the other as if that is the only option. It's not.

It always amazes me the level of misinformation that is still out there. Just goes to support the fact that those on this forum are not representative of the 6.0 owning population, but just a very small sampling pool.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:14 AM
ajbkid
New User
ajbkid is starting off with a positive reputation.
dont bother with "private party" on kbb.
Always find the wholesale. that's what the truck is actually worth.
Find the "trade in" value. thats what you want to pay.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.
have you checked the classifieds section in the 7.3 forum?

Vehicles for Sale - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums jMkxWZpZ2WkxWZpZWZjFGbwRXZrJXYt9FZhVmcoRnJw0TX4EDZ sVWamtFZsVWamV2YhxGc0V2ayFWbfRWYlJHa0ZCM901NxQGbll mZbRGbllmZlNWYsBHdltmch12XkFWZyhGdmATPdZTMkxWZpZ2W kxWZpZWZjFGbwRXZrJXYt9FZhVmcoRnJw0TX1EDZsVWamtFZsV WamV2YhxGc0V2ayFWbfRWYlJHa0ZSM90FMxQGbllmZbRGbllmZ lNWYsBHdltmch12XkFWZyhGdm0TX4QGbllmZbRGbllmZlNWYsB Hdltmch12XkFWZyhGdmgXYt1TXxsVX3QGbllmZbRGbllmZlNWY sBHdltmch12XkFWZyhGdmATPdBzWddDZsVWamtFZsVWamV2Yhx Gc0V2ayFWbfRWYlJHa0ZCeh1WPdFzWdZDZsVWamtFZsVWamV2Y hxGc0V2ayFWbfRWYlJHa0ZCM90FMb1lNkxWZpZ2WkxWZpZWZjF GbwRXZrJXYt9FZhVmcoRnJw0TX1QGbllmZbRGbllmZlNWYsBHd ltmch12XkFWZyhGdmQmcvZUPdRDZsVWamtFZsVWamV2YhxGc0V 2ayFWbfRWYlJHa0ZSO5kTM901MkxWZpZ2WkxWZpZWZjFGbwRXZ rJXYt9FZhVmcoRnJzADMy0TXy81MkxWZpZ2WkxWZpZWZjFGbwR XZrJXYt9FZhVmcoRnJ&marketplace_second_pass=1

Old 05-24-2012, 10:37 AM
f3fidy
Senior User
f3fidy is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have 3, 6.0s and theyre all a p.i.t.a.
but, i think if you really over-maintain them(especially coolant!!)
and do a few major mods, which will make it hard to smog...
they can be, dare i say, reliable.
and theres some really good deals out there..

Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by f3fidy View Post
do a few major mods, which will make it hard to smog...

I find that exceptionally hard to believe considering I do have my emissions systems not only in place and functional, but also the same setup that came with my truck when it only had 20 miles on the clock. It has over 200k now.

I throw more heat, fuel and air then 90% (at least) of the 6.0 owning population.

If it did require those mods that most people mention, my experience shouldn't even exist. It really shouldn't. If those parts can't hack it when the truck is in stock form, how can they hack it when it has been moderately modified? I guess I'm just that lucky.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:58 PM
f3fidy
Senior User
f3fidy is starting off with a positive reputation.
ya tex... u might just be that lucky..
im 0 for 3, your 1 for 1..
would i rather be 3 for 3? yep.
now only 1 of my trucks has a tuner and the rest stock
and still the same prob...
wanna know what the ford tech said after the last visit??
"loosen your coolant cap so it dont whistle and dont
pull any loads and it might last, you have a blown headgasket"
2006 f350 100k miles, regular maintenance and
only driven as a commuter.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by f3fidy View Post
ya tex... u might just be that lucky..
im 0 for 3, your 1 for 1..
would i rather be 3 for 3? yep.
now only 1 of my trucks has a tuner and the rest stock
and still the same prob...
wanna know what the ford tech said after the last visit??
"loosen your coolant cap so it dont whistle and dont
pull any loads and it might last, you have a blown headgasket"
2006 f350 100k miles, regular maintenance and
only driven as a commuter.
Big problem I have with that.

Depending on how you "commute", you can cause headgasket issues. Most people don't like that fact, most people like to turn the key and go, problems is when you have more tech on a vehicle and the vehicle is design for a purpose other then just being a commuter vehicle, that can lead to some issues. At least I would think so.

I don't know enough about what you put that vehicle through, but I already have one red flag, who is to say that there aren't others.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 PM
soulseamster
New User
soulseamster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok so I test drove the truck and it really drove great...very smooth acceleration, shifting, ride... tight steering. It's also in immaculate condition. except for dark stains on drivers seat, armrest and steering wheel...otherwise excellent cosmetically not a ding on the body. It also aced the carfax so seems to be well maintained by their standards...they rated it $960 above retail. I'm taking a mechanic friend of mine tomorrow to look it over and I'm showing him the things you guys have told me to look for but he's not a truck expert. Anyway how much does an egr delete and head studs cost? and with 150k is it still a good idea if its been good til now? Lastly I'm gonna try and get an oasis report tomorrow but if anyone can furnish me with one it would be greatly appreciated. Vin# 1ftww31p75ea48692. Also the carfax shows regular maintenance but 0 repairs!...strange right? It was warrantied til 100k shouldn't there be a record of repairs on the carfax? Thanks everyone for all the info and advice...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: looking to buy 6.0

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.