6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

looking to buy 6.0

Old 05-25-2012, 04:24 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
150k miles is about the half way point for a reasonably maintained 6.0L powered truck. There is a guy on here (run6.0run) that recently rolled 500k miles...but he stacks the miles on his truck pulling campers. If you want to delete the EGR cooler (not the valve) here's one from a site sponsor:

Riffraff Diesel: Sinister Basic EGR Cooler Delete Kit

Keep in mind (assuming you buy the truck), if you delete the cooler you need to keep the EGR valve plugged in to keep the truck from overheating. Most trucks are running a PCM software flash that looks for the EGR valve. If it doesn't see it, the PCM won't spoil the radiator fan to keep from overheating.

100k miles/5 years from the date placed into service is/was the standard PSD warranty Ford offered for all the diesel engines. It's possible the prevois owner spun his own wrenches and only took the truck in for recall items. Also, some dealerships used to offer life time oil changes (our Explorer has that)...so the truck would have gone in for the oil changes but the owner was doing the repairs somewhere else.

If you really want a base line number as far as the value of the truck. Talk to your insurance agent. They keep up with the fair market value of vehicles since that's how most of them set a value for a auto that's been totaled/stolen.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soulseamster
Ok so I test drove the truck and it really drove great...very smooth acceleration, shifting, ride... tight steering. It's also in immaculate condition. except for dark stains on drivers seat, armrest and steering wheel...otherwise excellent cosmetically not a ding on the body. It also aced the carfax so seems to be well maintained by their standards...they rated it $960 above retail. I'm taking a mechanic friend of mine tomorrow to look it over and I'm showing him the things you guys have told me to look for but he's not a truck expert. Anyway how much does an egr delete and head studs cost? and with 150k is it still a good idea if its been good til now? Lastly I'm gonna try and get an oasis report tomorrow but if anyone can furnish me with one it would be greatly appreciated. Vin# 1FTWW31P75EA48692. Also the carfax shows regular maintenance but 0 repairs!...strange right? It was warrantied til 100k shouldn't there be a record of repairs on the carfax? Thanks everyone for all the info and advice...
ok.... i have mechanic friends. they are nice. that isn't gonna save your butt.

what you need is a code reader to find out what is going on in
the electronics.

fixing stuff on this engine is, generally speaking, not cheap. i have an E-350
van, and that means engine studs and head gaskets require an engine pull.
that means it's a ton more money... i had zero engine problems till 91K.

then i blew white smoke one morning.

EGR cooler, oil cooler, and head gaskets. $10,080.

your milage may vary. there are folks on here who can give you
some accurate numbers, but if you bought the truck, and had to
throw $5k into it, how good a deal would it be then?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
Carfax won't tell much about maintenance. Take the vin# to a dealer and ask for an Oasis report.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
f3fidy
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
sometime you can tell if a 6.0 has been boiling over
because its a little too clean and shiny around and
under the degas bottle... especially be cautious if
theres rusty water stains..

im surprised theres not more people here urging caution
but also kinda glad to hear some condoning..

Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
Hard to explain why we like stuff sometimes. My '06 KR FX4 is at home right now, partially taken apart with all most $1k in parts sitting in the workbench. I'm about to burn a 3 day weekend to ( hopefully) get it back together and I will still say it's a great truck! Go figure?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:58 AM
jdhart73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need to do anything if the truck is running fine and your gauges look good. Just buy a scangauge II and drive it and monitor deltas (look up on forum) and if all is good then maintain fluids and drive it. If it gives you issues fix them, if not enjoy it.

I am paying a buttload of money to have my 6.0 "bulletproofed", not because anything was wrong or it was necessary.... I just had the money and decided to do it because I can't leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke.........

And don't let people scare you with horror stories, they are good to be aware of but not a guarantee that you will have the same experience. That being said, as I'm sure you re aware these aren't Hondas and you should be prepared if needed to shell out some dough!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:07 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdhart73
That being said, as I'm sure you re aware these aren't Hondas and you should be prepared if needed to shell out some dough!

I think people aren't thinking of it like that.

I see a lot of people that buy these things for commuters. Look good, ego stroking, I don't care what the reason is. You buy a vehicle that you are going to use for a task other then what it was design for, better do your homework to make sure that what you are doing is the best for it. This is exceptionally truer now then it was 12 or more yrs ago as more vehicles have more tech on them and that is only going to be more so, particularly when you are talking about diesels, but I foresee that to be the case across the board.

I'm not saying that you have to know how to do the repairs yourself, or have to know what's wrong. Just use a little bit of reasoning. The vehicles have these components, it's built to do these tasks, here is what I'm going to be using it for, will it still work. If it doesn't, am I willing to make changes to make sure it will fit my application? If I'm not, but I still want it for the "stroking" benefits, will I accept the higher then normal chances of something not going right?

I would say that's something that a lot more people are going to need to look at with regards to the future of diesel vehicles. If not, either don't complain when something happens or get something else. May not like it, but that's the logical thing to do, especially if you can't afford to fix the problem(s).

Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM
jdhart73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tex I agree. I'm definitely not your sensible application purchaser, I buy a little on application and a lot on emotion. But fortunately for me I CAN afford to alter the vehicle to
suit my application.
Stay in your lane as they say, and you will be fine!