6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 / Mini Max / Turbo Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 PM
SuperDutyDick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4 / Mini Max / Turbo Back Exhaust

6.4 / Mini Maxx / Turbo Back Exhaust
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->After going through all the ordering, installations and set-up, I thought I'd share with other 6.4 owners a couple of tips if you installing a Mini Maxx on you truck.
First of all I ordered a new exhaust "AFE" Turbo-Back with muffler and bungs along with my Mini Maxx. Since my truck is a 2008 Extended Cab, short box it's wheel base is only 142" long. AFE doesn't provide an exhaust for that size. The one I received was for a 156" to 172" wheel base. When assembling the system I soon found out that the system was way to long for truck. The system I ordered was a 49-13022. There are 3 pipes + the muffler and tailpipe with this system. I had to remove 22" off the tailend of the 3rd pipe back including the hanger (called mid-pipe 3). I removed the factory hanger from the frame of the truck as well. I then had to remove 8 1/2" from the tailend of the 2nd pipe (mid-pipe 2 [dpf delete pipe]). I then had to reverse the clamp that came for the rear of the muffler so that the tangs were facing the rear of the truck (the instructions show them facing forward like the factory installed hangers). Once everything was cut, everything fit perfectly. I installed all the sensors with some adjustments to the pressure sensor bracket. Everthing is working great and sounds awesome. Nothing like hearing the turbo breathing through the tail pipe. I just found out that H&S says to unplug all the sensors to the exhaust system. When I called them about why, they said that the Mini Maxx neither talks to or uses those sensors. They advised that I unplug the sensors, remove them from exhaust system and to plug the bungs. It would have been nice to know all this before I ordered the exhaust so that I could've ordered it without the bungs. Advance Deisel is sending plugs for the bungs, but I have to pay for them. By the way, Advance Deisel and H&S Performance have been very helpful and reply almost immediately with their responses. It would have been nice to know when ordering that it should also be broken down by wheel base. Techically they don't make an exhaust for 142" SuperDuty but I was able to make it fit. It all comes down to if you have a 6.4 and order a Mini Maxx you don't need bungs and you don't need any of the factory sensors. As soon as the rain quits I want to take the truck for a ride to get the transmission to relearn it's shift points. Even at the "no power" setting it will set you back in the seat. I can't wait to see what "Hot" setting is going to do. So far all I can say is WOW!!! I'll post later with what my mpg gains are. So far I changed out to an S&B cleanable filter system and had an immediate 4mpg gain.

Last edited by SuperDutyDick; 05-25-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 PM
BigSilly86
Like A Boss!

The Hot settings are awesome, I just Installed my MiniMaxx a little over a week ago. I like it alot. Transmission relearn isn't hard at all due to the fact the truck gets up to 80 mph pretty darn quick. Just a reminder always tow on No Power setting. Once you go to the Hot setting your not going to want to go back to the no power setting.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not just use the sensors to plug the holes and leave them plugged in to keep the plugs clean? If the truck doesn't use them I can't see why it hurts to leave them in.

H&S is the only company doing a DPF delete, turn off EGR and leaving everything else stock tuned aren't they? Planning on going that way very soon since the warranty is just about up.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 PM
BigSilly86
Like A Boss!

Originally Posted by galaxie641
Why not just use the sensors to plug the holes and leave them plugged in to keep the plugs clean? If the truck doesn't use them I can't see why it hurts to leave them in.

H&S is the only company doing a DPF delete, turn off EGR and leaving everything else stock tuned aren't they? Planning on going that way very soon since the warranty is just about up.
H&S has A lot of power increasing tunes the default tunes are +0hp,+80hp,+160hp,+250hp.
the Hott Damn tunes are +50hp,+125hp,+225hp,+300hp. Easy tunes are +0hp,+60hp,+120hp,+175hp. There is a product out there that just deletes the equipment and is not a tuner/programmer ( Gear Box Z ).

Old 05-30-2012, 08:47 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hot tune is ridiculous. I run mine on no power all of the time because I tow too much and breaking the tires loose at 40 is not my idea of a good time and I run 37" tires.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 PM
KeKeF350
New User
2008 F350 6.4 turbo diesel

Ok... I'm soooo confused. When I bought my truck it was getting 18 city and 22 hwy. took I it to Ford for routine service and they reset my computer and I was getting 8-12mpg. I assume they deleted a performance program not a dpf delete??? I just want my gas mileage back!! I was going to do a performance chip and cold air intake, but the parts guys said I would be better off doing a dpf delete. Now I don't know what to get. (Yes, I am a girl and trying to do this all by myself). I am also blonde, so if you guys can speak in plain English and not guy car talk, I would appreciate it. . HELP!! Thanks...

Old 02-17-2014, 02:51 PM
mich800
Senior User
Originally Posted by KeKeF350
Ok... I'm soooo confused. When I bought my truck it was getting 18 city and 22 hwy. took I it to Ford for routine service and they reset my computer and I was getting 8-12mpg. I assume they deleted a performance program not a dpf delete??? I just want my gas mileage back!! I was going to do a performance chip and cold air intake, but the parts guys said I would be better off doing a dpf delete. Now I don't know what to get. (Yes, I am a girl and trying to do this all by myself). I am also blonde, so if you guys can speak in plain English and not guy car talk, I would appreciate it. . HELP!! Thanks...
I doubt you were ever actually getting that fuel economy. Was this hand calculated? Many tunes trick the computer to achieve their ends. This in turn makes the DIC inaccurate. If you had a DPF on tune it is unlikely you were getting 18 city. I would be happy with that for HWY.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 PM
KeKeF350
New User
Ex husband did the mpg by hand, because he couldn't believe how good it was getting. It was real close to what it was reading. I just want to open her up and let her breathe and get some extra mpg without spending a fortune. Can't see spending over2k and not making that money back up in gas. Thanks for your response.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by KeKeF350
Well first off welcome, KeKe how far have you driven since you were at the dealer. If the dealer loaded the new update it would probably have reset your MPG readout. What we call the lie-o-meter, it will start out very low as it goes by average and not on time MPG. Anyways if that was reset until you get some miles on it won't read anything very good.
If you were actually checking the mileage the old fashion way and its that bad then I might be tempted to take it back and see what they did. Anyways give us some more information and maybe we can help you out some more, I'm just taking a stab at this so who knows if I'm right or wrong.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 PM
KeKeF350
New User
That was in 2010, I'm pretty sure it's stuck there. Lol friend/ mechanic said my EGR maybe stuck wide open, causing it to dump fuel. (???). :/

Old 02-17-2014, 07:21 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
If the EGR valve was stuck it would throw a code.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 PM
mich800
Senior User
18 mpg city is still phenomenal. Was this multiple tanks. Remember you can get 5+ gallons in variations in just foaming when filling so it is important to fill the same way every time.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 PM
KeKeF350
New User
Ex husband kept track. He's a mechanical engineer so I'm sure he probably figured it right...

Old 02-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO...I haven't heard anyone gain 4mpg...with an intake.. I added my stage 2 afe...got maybe a 1-2mpg.. keke... I think if you had a 2wd single cab f350 with stock wheels/tires.. you might have got close to 18/22...but a f350 4wd crew cab getting 18/22 would have to have a crazy set up to achieve those numbers...the 8-12 sounds right if your doing a lot of stop/go in town driving which kills every1's mpg. I have a mini maxx 250hp setting/afe stage 2 intake/flo-pro exhaust..getting 12-14 in town...im also lifted though...I'm happy with it!

Quick Reply: 6.4 / Mini Max / Turbo Back Exhaust