Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to lift it!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:04 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
1_ton_bronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Expensive cv joints lol

Old 09-28-2012, 05:06 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
It would be pricey, but i wonder what a metal sleeve would do. Something similar to the flex pipe that can bend and flex to handle the joints movement but won't suffer damage unless your smashing rocks with it. Hmm, who knows.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well I got the bill today, lets just say I could have done a straight axle swap for cheaper.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 AM
chrlsful
Postmaster
chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.
bent R-arm

Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans View Post
Thats one. But what i think happened is one of the PO's got in a wreck. That side of the body is crinkled and the bumper is a bit pushed in. Maybe the clipped something and the sudden force bent it? Or is that even possible...
I know this is a yr old entry but I just got my 1st post to this thread.

In the old days (EB racers, prts suppliers like K bar S) B 4 some of the great new technology 'they' usta bend the r-arms 2 more benifits. "ten/ten" was the saying - i.e. 10* of bend 10 inches back from the C cups. Again this is with an EB & they had solid axels. Not sure how it would wrk 4 U guys (better articulation, lrger tires, tighter turns, etc).
My main point is YOU Don't Hafta Buy a new arm. U can bend it back yerself.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:32 AM
chrlsful
Postmaster
chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.
uneducated & use of terms

Originally Posted by greystreak92 View Post
As I said the name for it is...Try assembling one without the ball and spring to see what I mean).
A true CV joint uses a deep splined ball and socket assembly with ball bearings between the ball and socket. The fact that the ..joint boot. The other reason for its use I mentioned in my previous post.
Cadillacs and Lincolns use double-cardon u-joints in conju... Cadi.
I've seen double-cardons inaccurately referred to as CV joints by parts store guys and mechanics alike just because its less ... given.
Hope it's OK to PM.

Y I like reading some of these forums. I am not a mechanic (DO wrk on my rig as I'm in poverty, the rig is 1 of my incomes) so thank you for taking the time, effort...
I'm a bit of a garage rat & ask several different shops Qs as I hang around.

Yes the correct terms (used) assist some of us understand the mysterious. I see those two variations & now understand better (& can even discuss/name them!).

Edit
CV bends further than d.card. joint. Wonder if U could put the d.card. joint where a cv is (ie frnt wheel drive cars? No, too much articulation?) What about on rear of off rd vehicles? (no, same problem - I guess they're used only where they R for a reason!).

Last edited by chrlsful; 08-24-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: guess it's not an PM, eh?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:46 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
With such thick metal it would take quite a bit to "unbend" the radius arm. I don't have a press at my disposal.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:16 AM
chrlsful
Postmaster
mine's about 20 lbs

Sledge hammer

Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I've got a wood splitting axe with a hammer on the opposite side but I don't know if that would work. My aim isn't so good when splitting wood. I've almost hurt myself a few times .

Old 08-26-2013, 03:54 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
gatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputation
Whenever you are aiming a sledge hammer or an axe, the best way to do it is drink enough that you are seein double. Then you close 1 eye and whale away. Works every time.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Sounds like great advice hehe

Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'd stay clear of the hammer method, it might create lots of small fractures in the metal. That or it could just snap while beating on it. Wedge it between 2 trees and pull on it with a winch or chain pull. Heating it might crystalize the steel molecles and cause it to be brittle.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FourXFord2 View Post
I'd stay clear of the hammer method, it might create lots of small fractures in the metal. That or it could just snap while beating on it. Wedge it between 2 trees and pull on it with a winch or chain pull. Heating it might crystalize the steel molecles and cause it to be brittle.
Yikes, I'd be afraid of it slipping out of the trees and taking me out with itself...

I'm not worried about it (as far as I know) it isn't causing any issues with the alignment or tire wear. Some Green ladder bars would look pretty badass ya know?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
Harbor freight bench press 6-ton 70$

Old 09-05-2013, 05:12 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.
HA! I built a 30 ton for less then that!
It was all salvage steel and a $10 auction jack.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:16 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
True, I would go with just making one myself too, would probably even work better than a store bought. But I know some may not have the welding skills or a welder