Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to lift it!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans View Post
NewEnglander what kind of steering issues?
Just needs an alignment, truck pulls to the right when I let go of the wheel. I think it needed one from the beginning cause it always pulled. Just never have done anything about it cause it wasn't to bad. But since I lifted it I def need to get it done for sure, but I gotta wait to put the new tires on first.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Opossum View Post
The body lift doesn't effect the driveline at all, if it's fully compressed (or close cause actually fully would be bad) then you'll be just fine with that driveline after your lift.

Track bar length is also a minor issue what is more important is that it is parallel to the tie rod from your pitman arm. So if you use one, drop bracket or pitman arm, then you will need to use the other of the same drop. Idealy both track bar and tie rod should also be level or close to it at ride height, and both track bar and tie rod the same length, though that is much harder to do.
Alright thanks for the info, yeah the Drive line shouldn't be an issue then since currently it is pretty close to fully collapsed. The front one i am unsure about cause i haven't looked at it in a while.
Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
Just needs an alignment, truck pulls to the right when I let go of the wheel. I think it needed one from the beginning cause it always pulled. Just never have done anything about it cause it wasn't to bad. But since I lifted it I def need to get it done for sure, but I gotta wait to put the new tires on first.
Oh i see. Mine has a slight alignment issue on certain roads and when i brake it pulls pretty hard to the left. All in due time though.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
Alright so ive been doing some more thinking, with the lift in and while on stock tires (235/75/15) if I brought the truck down to have aligned would it still be ok once I put bigger tires on? Im getting tired of the truck pulling. And am having a hard time getting bigger tires right now.

Also I was curious when they do an alignment how is it done? Camber adjustments? Tie Rod adjustments?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
Usually when you do bigger tires they recommend getting the alignment checked at least to make sure it didn't mess anything up, though i don't think it hurts too much.

When they do an alignment, at least from what i have seen on ISS front ends, they look at tie rod ends, camber, and caster. Other than that i don't think there is anything else to look at and as far as i know ISS is the same as TTB. (Independent Suspension System)

Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Opossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to all
Alright so ive been doing some more thinking, with the lift in and while on stock tires (235/75/15) if I brought the truck down to have aligned would it still be ok once I put bigger tires on? Im getting tired of the truck pulling. And am having a hard time getting bigger tires right now.

Also I was curious when they do an alignment how is it done? Camber adjustments? Tie Rod adjustments?
Technically no, but in any practical way yes, you should be able to lift then alignment, then tires. While doing the lift will of course effect the alignment the tires won't in any significant way. That said theoreticaly tires can effect the ride height on a TTB as it effects the force angles/leverage and with the TTB ride hight is VERY important to the alignment. So idealy it should be done after.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Get the alignment done. Then you can have it checked with the new tires. They might find something that you overlooked while working on it, loose tierod, bad bushing or wheel bearings out of adjustment. I had mine checked and then had to fix some things before they could do an alignment. Then they couldn't set the camber because My bronc was too big for their equipment! They didn't charge me for the check and the alignment was dicounted because they couldn't "finish".

Old 07-27-2012, 01:46 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Nice, I've never heard of the vehicle being "too big" to be aligned.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
So I didnt want to start a new thread so this is basically a part of the lift i guess. But I finally took the truck down for an alignment. Yes I have been driving my truck all this time without it being aligned. I did not care about the tires cause they have been bald anyways. So the cords started to show out side of one of the tires so I thought now would be the best time to take it down.

I was hoping for the best but was expecting the worst. So with that being said I didnt feel too bad at what he told me because it was the worst.

A family mechanic we have been going to for 30+ years so I can trust him and he said he replaced one of my radius arm bushings because it was smoked and loose, I couldnt even get the nut loose. and he was having issues with getting a sleeve or knuckle out, cant remember exactly what he said, but for him to get it out hed have to take the ball joints out so he said best put new ones in anyways. Also U-Joints were toast. I'm expecting a large bill. But should be worth it since I didn't have the time to do it and with no time I would lose patience very very fast.

Will post the outcome. Just can't wait to have my truck back. Been going through withrdrawals :/

Old 09-22-2012, 04:12 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Haha no worries, having a shop do the work isn't always bad. It ensures that if something is screwed up, it is their fault. Besides u-joints are a big PITA to begin with... Did they say the estimated time before you can get it back?

Old 09-23-2012, 01:46 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans View Post
Haha no worries, having a shop do the work isn't always bad. It ensures that if something is screwed up, it is their fault. Besides u-joints are a big PITA to begin with... Did they say the estimated time before you can get it back?
Yeah this was something I didnt want to deal with. I brought it down Thursday afternoon he said Tuesday the latest.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:40 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Thats not too bad. Is he working on it weekends? If not then i can see that being reasonable. If he is, then its fine too but he probably has other work as well.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:55 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
Nope not on weekends. I finally got a guy to call me back about some tires on rims. 33"s I told him probably tuesday or wednesday id let him know. Hoping Ill be able to get these still.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:56 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Cool, how much? Those should fit nicely under there.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
About 400$ brand new, 5 of them on rims

Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 PM
foreveralonestar512
New User
foreveralonestar512 is starting off with a positive reputation.
About 400$ brand new, 5 of them on rims
No way! The wheels that I ordered cost $200 more than that, and I haven't even begun shopping for tires yet (not that I really want to) Was this one of those Craigslist "steals of the century that disappear as soon as they're posted" sort of deals? I swear that crap happened to me all the time during my Honda days...

Me: "Hi, I'm calling about the (insert name of Honda parts that are apparently worth more than gold to the Honda/Acura crowd here) that you have on CL?

Seller: "Yeah just sold those, and the guy is leaving my garage right now!"

Me:

/rant. Anyway, I hope you score the wheels. Wouldn't want you to feel my pain

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ready to lift it!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.