Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to lift it!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
I have and I will tell you it def needs an alignment lol. Unfortunately I gotta replace 2 wheel studs so I dont have the truck right now and im hoping the alignment wont hurt my wallet to much *Knock on wood*

It ride very nice compared to the old suspension. And I love how I have to actually jump up into it now lol
Ah OK. Yeah mine came with a broken stud when I bought it. Eventually I need to fix it. I can also do the alignment afterwards at the shop I used to work at. They might still only charge employee rates . If not I know another shop where I might be able to go.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yeah, I mostly afraid hes gonna tell me I need all new ball joints and tie rods

Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
That won't be fun. I know i have one messed up ball joint but i am not too worried about it. And my tie rods are pretty old as well but from what i've been told by a technician they are still ok. I DO have to replace my driver side radius arm as it somehow got bent outwards...

Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans View Post
That won't be fun. I know i have one messed up ball joint but i am not too worried about it. And my tie rods are pretty old as well but from what i've been told by a technician they are still ok. I DO have to replace my driver side radius arm as it somehow got bent outwards...
You bent a radius arm on a 78?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by greystreak92 View Post
You bent a radius arm on a 78?
Haha you sound so surprised. But no, when i bought it the PO neglected to tell me anything about it that was true so that was never mentioned. I didn't know about it till i rebuilt the trans and my neighbor (who did the linkages for me) noticed it and pointed it out. I haven't replaced it yet because it isn't bent enough to make much of a noticeable difference besides when i try turning lock to lock, in which case the tire hits that side a little sooner than the other. I am not sure really on how i will go about replacing them, if i need to buy aftermarket ones for a 4" lift or if i should hit the local junkyard and find a pair. I wouldn't mind a ladder bar style that you can see through But i sort of don't like the stock look. I have some pics of it

Passenger side, straight

Driver side, bent

I have no idea how it happened but it is some damn thick metal so it must have taken a lot.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'd bet someone tie a chain there and tried to pull it sideways, it's a theory.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:06 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FourXFord2 View Post
I'd bet someone tie a chain there and tried to pull it sideways, it's a theory.
Thats one. But what i think happened is one of the PO's got in a wreck. That side of the body is crinkled and the bumper is a bit pushed in. Maybe the clipped something and the sudden force bent it? Or is that even possible...

Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Edgethis
Postmaster
Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
Truck looks awesome. Ive rhought about that lift.

Dylan, call me crazy but is it possible that someone installed a passenger side radius arm on your driver side. I thought they curved a bit anyways....

Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Edgethis View Post
Truck looks awesome. Ive rhought about that lift.

Dylan, call me crazy but is it possible that someone installed a passenger side radius arm on your driver side. I thought they curved a bit anyways....
Honestly i have no clue. I thought both sides were supposed to be straight?

I think NewEnglander needs to pop a visit you TGM here and do my lift Since you have so much experience.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hahaha honestly that was the first time doing it so I wouldnt say I have that much experience, it sure was alot of work and couldnt have done it alone

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I have a feeling mine will be a bit easier since i have a solid front axle, so i have less to unbolt, i might not even need to unbolt the track bar. If i do, it won't be as much fun...

Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
Lol yeah your lucky, working with that TTB was most of the work. So I changed out all the wheel studs out today, got the beast home, put the top on at 8:30pm. Rides very very nice. Steering is very off right now. I will tell you I dont want to touch another ratchet for a while. Every single joint in the hands and elbows is killing me right now lol

Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.FourXFord2 has a good reputation on FTE.
The hardest part of lifting TGM is gonna be getting the shackle bolts out of the spring eyes, and maybe the track bar. You should only have to unbolt one side of it unless your gonna go all new bushings, which wouldn't be a bad idea. Plan ahead, if the kit dosen't include the spring bolts and they've been in there for several years, you might want to measure and buy new bolts before you start. Also should mention that lifts of 4" or larger might require lengthening the driveshafts and lowering the brakeline to frame mounts. I have a 78' Bronco running 33x12.50s on the stock suspension. Rubs the radius arms a bit at full lock but not bad, never noticed rubbing on fenderwells or bumpers. Maybe on the newer ones. Lifting it will not get you any radius arm clearence but will,if done right, will increase the approach and departure angles, and will give it more wheel travel, keeping all 4 wheels on the ground is a bonus when off-road. (no-brainer right?) I don't think my springs were "scragged" cause I've noticed mine is getting lower every trip with a trailer. Also seen alot of wear at the ends of the leaves. Am shopping for a new suspension! I like the BDS for price and there's a dealer 2 hours from me. Also they told me they can customize my set to compensate for extra weight from my bumpers, winch and as well as making towing more pleasant for me. I hope to sell ALOT of firewood this year and maybe will be able to afford more goodies.
Glad your lift went without serious injury New Englander. Be sure to retorque all of the bolts on your lift after a month of driving, or at oil changes. I've heard they like to work loose. I had to retighten most of the front suspension bolts after I brought my Bronco home.
Another thing to mention, Put antiseize on the shafts of the rear suspension bolts where they go through a metal sleeve. It makes them more pleasant to remove in the future. Locktite on the threads up front when it goes together is another good idea. We don't want it falling apart on the highway @ 70 MPH!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FourXFord2 View Post
The hardest part of lifting TGM is gonna be getting the shackle bolts out of the spring eyes, and maybe the track bar. You should only have to unbolt one side of it unless your gonna go all new bushings, which wouldn't be a bad idea. Plan ahead, if the kit dosen't include the spring bolts and they've been in there for several years, you might want to measure and buy new bolts before you start. Also should mention that lifts of 4" or larger might require lengthening the driveshafts and lowering the brakeline to frame mounts. I have a 78' Bronco running 33x12.50s on the stock suspension. Rubs the radius arms a bit at full lock but not bad, never noticed rubbing on fenderwells or bumpers. Maybe on the newer ones. Lifting it will not get you any radius arm clearence but will,if done right, will increase the approach and departure angles, and will give it more wheel travel, keeping all 4 wheels on the ground is a bonus when off-road. (no-brainer right?) I don't think my springs were "scragged" cause I've noticed mine is getting lower every trip with a trailer. Also seen alot of wear at the ends of the leaves. Am shopping for a new suspension! I like the BDS for price and there's a dealer 2 hours from me. Also they told me they can customize my set to compensate for extra weight from my bumpers, winch and as well as making towing more pleasant for me. I hope to sell ALOT of firewood this year and maybe will be able to afford more goodies.
Glad your lift went without serious injury New Englander. Be sure to retorque all of the bolts on your lift after a month of driving, or at oil changes. I've heard they like to work loose. I had to retighten most of the front suspension bolts after I brought my Bronco home.
Another thing to mention, Put antiseize on the shafts of the rear suspension bolts where they go through a metal sleeve. It makes them more pleasant to remove in the future. Locktite on the threads up front when it goes together is another good idea. We don't want it falling apart on the highway @ 70 MPH!
Thanks for the info, i will look into the spring bolts. And yes my tires do rub on the radius arms quite a lot actually. And my drive shaft might need replacing due to the body lift which i plan to remove. After wards though i don't think i will need it cause right now it is compressed in as far as it will go and can extend about a foot i think. The track bar i think i need a longer one unless i try using a drop bracket. Maybe my neighbor who is a fabricator can come up with something, he is currently lifting an older Ford truck something like 19 inches. So he has a lot of fab work. I think doing a lift is a while in the future though since i have differential work to do that is a more pressing matter.

NewEnglander what kind of steering issues?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Opossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to all
And my drive shaft might need replacing due to the body lift which i plan to remove. After wards though i don't think i will need it cause right now it is compressed in as far as it will go and can extend about a foot i think.
The body lift doesn't effect the driveline at all, if it's fully compressed (or close cause actually fully would be bad) then you'll be just fine with that driveline after your lift.

The track bar i think i need a longer one unless i try using a drop bracket.
Track bar length is also a minor issue what is more important is that it is parallel to the tie rod from your pitman arm. So if you use one, drop bracket or pitman arm, then you will need to use the other of the same drop. Idealy both track bar and tie rod should also be level or close to it at ride height, and both track bar and tie rod the same length, though that is much harder to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ready to lift it!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.