Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Gets Serious About Parts on eBay !

Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge
Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Ford Gets Serious About Parts on eBay !

Ford Motor Co. wants eBay and PayPal to turn over data on 13 users the automaker accuses of selling fake or unlicensed Ford parts on the online auction site, including names, addresses and bank accounts — and won a court order blocking eBay and PayPal from revealing Ford's demand to the users targeted.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 PM
empiretc
Post Fiend
empiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to behold
yep. their lawyers in Utah are nasty. ask me how i know.....

Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Not surprised at all. There used to be a few places that you could buy Ford stickers and such that will no longer sell anything related to the Ford logo.

Then there's also the individuals who were gone after for things as trivial as hosting a website that linked to another place that had some Ford data on it. Turns out just providing a link to some other place can get very expensive.

Ask David how he knows. (but do it in a PM just to be on the safe side.)

Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
I wonder if any of the vendors were the ones marketing ICP sensors with incorrect P/N's.

Oh and BTW Whitey, your User Name will need to be changed!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Doesnt surprise me at all. Would you want sub-par products with your logo floating around?

Old 05-22-2012, 12:36 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
From the parts prospective, it sounds good to me, if I wasn't an informed consumer that belongs to a Ford ("Enthusiast") forum I could be getting ripped buying bogus subpar parts.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
Ford is just protecting their brand. Not a bad thing or uncommon for companies to seek out unauthorized vendors using their brand without going through the quality rigors mandated by that company. If the company turns a blind eye to this type of behavior, then it sets a legal precedence later for a court challenge they may end up losing. However, it does sweep up vendors who are honest and are trying to leverage a good brand name to promote their products though.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
empiretc
Post Fiend
empiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by A/Ox4 View Post
Doesnt surprise me at all. Would you want sub-par products with your logo floating around?
Don't think this ebay thing is them going after subpar/aftermarket products (nothing they can about china), but more about the trademark-infringing. It is no surprise they did not need a bailout with the way they flex their legal muscle.

Exclusive: Ford wins secret bid for eBay and PayPal users

Originally Posted by Ponyboychris View Post
Ford is just protecting their brand. Not a bad thing or uncommon for companies to seek out unauthorized vendors using their brand without going through the quality rigors mandated by that company. If the company turns a blind eye to this type of behavior, then it sets a legal precedence later for a court challenge they may end up losing. However, it does sweep up vendors who are honest and are trying to leverage a good brand name to promote their products though.

That is just the thing, they go too far. They sued a company that made a calendar using some of their employees vehicles (all f**ds). They then sold these calendars at a fund raiser for charity. In the end, the case was dropped, but all money they had raised was gone. And then some.

Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Then there's also the individuals who were gone after for things as trivial as hosting a website that linked to another place that had some Ford data on it. Turns out just providing a link to some other place can get very expensive.
aiding and abetting copyright infringement be careful when you provide links.....

Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 AM
UcaN
Senior User
UcaN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.UcaN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Damn.... I just received an A/C compressor that does not look like a genuine Ford part....

Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Hawk180
Senior User
Hawk180 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now, if they would go after the aftermarket vendors who sell "replacement parts" that are substandard. Nothing is more frustrating than to buy a part that is supposedly a "replacement part" and then have it fail after a couple of hundred miles. When I was growing up on the farm, we used Standard Ignition and Niehoff parts with no trouble or issues whatsoever. Now you can't find them in the parts stores and the crap they are selling won't last the normal life of what they should. Oh wait, standard and Niehoff were made in the USA. That's not corporately correct anymore.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 PM
empiretc
Post Fiend
A lot of companies start getting their products made in China to maximize profits. Of course, the overall quality suffers.

Look at what happened to Doc Martens...

They still want top dollar for their boots, but they are not the same anymore.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Hawk180
Senior User
Hawk180 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recently changed the front hub and bearing assemblies on my 01 250. It took some looking around and I had to order them to get them, but I insisted on using Timken bearings. The quality of the rest of them is lacking in my opinion and right now IMHO, the Timkens are best ones available. I had to put a new throttle pedal sensor in it about a year ago. It is acting funny again and that is what is flagging on my AE computer. I am looking at ordering a Standard Ignition sensor as no-one in the local area sells them. I'm to the point that I won't buy any electronic sensors from BWD anymore. I've had to return almost 100% of the ones I have bought.