Our new 7.3 purchase - now the questions really start. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Our new 7.3 purchase - now the questions really start.

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM
jwhopson
Senior User
jwhopson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

F350 (2000) So we just finished the deal on a longbed 7.3 crew cab and am thankful to all of those articles and friends who helped us come to this decision. Unfortunately we are planning a 1000 mile trip this week and are hesitant to take our new rig. The prior owner (original owner) only put 14k miles on it in the last five years, and the truck has 125k total. I typically like to start fresh with this so if you all have time please weigh in on the questions and I will also begin my research.

What fluids should I replace from the start and what brand of fluid? I am hesitant to flush the coolant because I am afraid it will create an issue where one doesn't exist currently. Thoughts?

What type of differential oil should I use?

Tranny and engine oil?

Fuel Filter, etc....

Any other first time things I should do please provide links or advice.

Here is the rig if I did it right.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
You'll want to change all the fluids for a fresh start. For oil, use a reputable brand, or just use one that is diesel rated and meets CJ-4 or above. I've always run the Motorcraft FL 1995 oil filter (for $10) and have used 15w-40 Rotella, Delo, Mobil Delvac, Valvoline Premium Blue. I've sent used oil samples off to a lab to have them analyzed and all of those brands came back just fine.

For the fuel filter, I've stuck with Racor. That's who made them for Ford Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

For the coolant, change it. Cavitation in a diesel can be catastrophic to the engine. Here's some how to's.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8935201

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...with-pics.html

Ford Super Duty Power Steering Flush | Superdutypsd.com

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles
Welcome to guzzle's PSD Oil Change Web Page

Welcome to guzzle's Transfer Case Fluid Change Web Page

Welcome to guzzle's Rear Differential Maintenance Web Page

Welcome to guzzle's Front Differential Maintenance Web Page

Welcome to guzzle's Front Caliper Slide Pin Upgrade Web

Welcome to guzzle's PSD Fuel Filter Change Web Page

Basically, if it's fluid, and in your truck, change it. And of course, don't be afraid to ask questions along the way.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:59 AM
jwhopson
Senior User
jwhopson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I forgot to say thank you. Because of your response, STanley, and a host of others I donated to the site - not much but a little. I love how amazingly thoughtful and respectful people are. I read the responses to my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) and her first response was "Doesn't that make you feel good knowing so many people, you don't know are going out of their way to make you feel comfortable about your truck", I couldn't agree more. Thanks FTE for all the support.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:08 AM
helihansen
Junior User
helihansen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Might also be a good idea to grease everything while changing the fluids. If you are lucky and the ball joints have been replaced they should have grease fittings on them.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:23 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
125K and bleed it all out? Really? Is it because of 12 years?

Looking at the truck, I doubt the previous owner neglected it. I'd have a look at the service records that came with it, or they are on file with the dealership, and look at the oil change sticker on the windshield before I did an oil change. Does the transmission fluid look like marchi... marisc... those cherries in drinks? The coolant might need a boost (or not), but my coolant bottle had the date of the last flush written on it and I know when it's due. I didn't swap out my rear end lube when I bought the truck, but I've had it inspected by a mechanic - as well as a number of other items I know very little about.

I wouldn't say 350-6 is inaccurate, but I understand the balancing act you're in right now. You just bought the truck and your trip will have big expenses (fuel, for one) - but nobody wants to risk being parked on the side of the highway with an unfamiliar rig. I wouldn't cost much to explain your situation to a well-reviewed diesel mechanic and let him check things out.

$0.02

Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I am with those saying that those truck are build to drive, not to be garage queen.
When was the last oil change? I did play with several oils doing lab test and Rotella T6 comes winner hands down.
I lost differential on my truck because PO neglected it, but if you don't see leaks on it, check the oil level and you are good for 1000 miles trip no worry. Some differential are considered to have lifetime oils, so even this might have service recommendations, you don't have to overdue it.
Spare fuel filter, serpentine belt and CPS should be on board for long trips all the time.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:02 AM
mechelement
Postmaster
mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.
http://www.fleetfilter.com/Store_Vie...cts.asp?Cat=53

You can buy all of your filters there for a good value.

If you decide to puke and refill your diffs, use whatever Ford uses. Don't use the crap they sell in the parts store. I chased a vibe in my rear diff forever with the parts store "equivalent". Ford diff fluid + Ford additive works.

I'd do the caliper slide pin upgrade. I drove from McCall, ID to Boise, ID all sorts of pissed when the stock ones started to stick. Did the upgrade and haven't had a single issue or squeal since.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:09 PM
JOHN2001
Postmaster
JOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud of
Thats a good lookin truck you got there. Mine is an 01 and at 112K miles I blew a HPO line a few months back, not to scare you but you may want to replace those if they havent been replaced. One of those go and your on the side of the road dead in the water, not fun. Your girlfriend hasnt seen anything yet wait until you see threads about guys who are broken down and a brother (or stranger) drives hours out of his way to help someone out who would otherwise be stranded. I believe it was Megawatt who stopped to help a lady out who had two or three kids in her X got her all fixed up and running again on the side of the road, her husband some how tracked him down on FTE weeks later just to say thanks because he wasnt around for her, I think he had Megawatt on his truck some where and she remembered it. So with that being said if anything does happen on your trip feel free to let us know where your at, the brother hood is everywhere lol

EDIT: If you need anything this is where most of us buy our stuff from, some of the best deals and customer service youll find, Clays a great guy. http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.