1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

If I do this, will you come? 48-60 FTE KY get-together

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts
If I do this, will you come? 48-60 FTE KY get-together

Okay so the summer is upon us. And the discussion of the various shows has begun. There are legitimate grumblings about hot black top, lack of shade, high admission costs, etc.

So let me officially throw this out there as a different possibility. There are members here on FTE (cough Homade cough) who have routinely bugged me about doing a laid-back get together at my place. I'm not talking about a truck show or anything even close to that. Just a laid-back weekend of sitting around and having a good time. It's way off the beaten path in Blackey, KY. About 3 hours from Knoxville and about 2 1/2 hours from Lexington. There are LOTS of you guys well within a half-day's driving distance from me. Is there anybody who would honestly be TRULY INTERESTED in coming up to my place for an extended weekend or whatever later this summer or early in the fall? In addition to all the cool green grass and tons of shade trees, etc., my farm is completely in the shade by 5:00 each evening thanks to a large mountain that blocks the late-day sun. So evening cook-outs, campfires, etc. are definitely an option. I have 2 ponds for fishing, and you could hike the mountains around my place if that's your thing (wild mountains with snakes, poison ivy, etc.). I have a 30 x 40 shop with tons of tools, air compressor, welders, etc. in case somebody needs them (or just wants to tinker on their ride). I also have an old barn that has electricity as well. I could also probably get a live band and maybe even get some things set up for the kids like inflatables, etc. if there's enough interest.

It's just a thought. And I'd really appreciate it if you guys would just be painfully honest about whether or not it's a good idea and whether or not you'd even consider coming to the hills of East KY for an FTE-style down home "family reunion". Alcoholic beverages would be okay, but I wouldn't hesitate put somebody on the road if they made a scene, bothered somebody else, or decided to do donuts in my front yard, etc. Please be honest guys and give me an idea of how many would indeed be genuinely interested and willing to come. I'd limit it to the 48-60 FTE'ers. And don't worry about the vendors and commercialization--they couldn't find it anyway. We could also possibly set up a taxi service to the airport. If a hotel is your thing, there are quite a few within a 20-25 mile driving distance. Here's a couple shots of my place to give you an idea.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the idea, but distance is an issue for me: Denver CO.... If I could suggest a time first (that might get more people to commit), either the weekend BEFORE or the weekend AFTER labor day. I know a lot of people vacation labor day and that is just my point a *lot* of morons on the road that weekend. If I get my gas tank replaced / cleaned out enough to make it a distance driver I could possibly consider driving - as it stands I'd be flying or using the convertible.

I don't need a live band or inflatables, I bring my own camp chairs and good company and cold beers are all I need - more than willing to contribute either to a keg fund or a micro-brew fund as well as helpin the host with whatever he needs.

I think time is the biggest factor to involvement (more than food/drink/inflatables/etc), if you compete with the (insert major sporting event here) you will get a lackluster showing - pick a date and let people decide if they can make it.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Thanks for the generous offer, I hope that some of the locals can make an event out of it. The wife is from Nashville and I am from Cincinnati orginally...we will be in those areas in early July. I already have tacson on my "to do" visit list so if you aren't too far off the 65/71 we could swing by your place while we're back there.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I too thank you for such an unselfish offer. I just checked my navigation program and I am about 5 1/2 hours and less than two hundred miles away using back roads and lower speeds. Keeps the '56 happier. Depending on the dates, the dear wife and I will be there. We would opt for a motel rather than camp out. We'd be most willing to help offset any expense.
FWIW, my hearing does not function well with noise, as in bands. Although good bluegrass picking is pretty sweet.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by raytasch
I too thank you for such an unselfish offer. I just checked my navigation program and I am about 5 1/2 hours and less than two hundred miles away using back roads and lower speeds. Keeps the '56 happier. Depending on the dates, the dear wife and I will be there. We would opt for a motel rather than camp out. We'd be most willing to help offset any expense.
FWIW, my hearing does not function well with noise, as in bands. Although good bluegrass picking is pretty sweet.
Yeah I was thinking something along the lines of Bluegrass or laid-back Blues.

I'm thinking (and again this is VERY preliminary) maybe the weekend of September 14th-16th give or take a day or so. I agree to stay away from Labor Day, but we may not have a choice. The following weekend of the 7th is a HUGE mini-truck show here that eats all of the hotel rooms. The weekend of the 21st is the Townsend show. I know that the 14th-16th is the big Rod Run weekend in Pigeon Forge, so do a lot of you guys attend that show? I could also hold off until October, but I'd be afraid of the potentially cold evenings/nights. August would be fine too, but damn it's hot here, and I need to make sure I get my hay cut and baled before this, so that the hay fields are accessible. So, as it stands right now, let's consider September 14-16th. PLEASE nobody pencil that in just yet. This whole idea may not work out anyway, based on the level of interest. I just threw that out there. We could also consider July. It's gonna be hot no matter when probably.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
... So, as it stands right now, let's consider September 14-16th.
Sounds good to me! If I leave tonight in my truck, I should be there right on time!

I think it's a great idea, and would love to attend, and would even more love to be there in my truck. It's on my calendar!

If I could make a suggestion; for similar GTG's (get-togethers) I've seen some kind of thread to coordinate people coming from longer distances, say to meet at some point and caravan together.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Doraville
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll echo what the others have said and thank you for the generous offer. It looks like you have a beautiful place there.

Haven't checked with the wife yet, but I checked the calendar and we're open that weekend. I've got two kids starting college this fall, and I don't know exactly what the dates are on that. But if you're looking for a "tentative yes" I can give you that.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Sept 14-16 weekend works for me. The next weekend, 21-22 the dear wife is dragging me off out of town.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:34 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great idea! Wish I could travel that far......

I would make one small sugestion though.
This is exactly why we have state chapters here on FTE. Send a PM to your state chapter leader and the leaders in surrounding states about your plans for a GTG.

My Oregon chapter is in the planing stages for our annual GTG in AUG. We have had one every year for the last 5 years. This year we should top 20+ members and familys.

Hope you get this going, and have a great time. FTE members are the best!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I also appreciate the offer and I'd love to swing down for at least a day or two! I'm in the midst of a massive project at work right now, but it should be slowing down by then and I'll have some vacation time coming. Assuming that work allows, I'll tentatively say that I can be there. I might be able to coerce fifty-two_f1 to ride down with me although he'll be in his first month of college. Mayhap Jeff would be able to tear away and ride along, too. You listening, Jeff?!? My old man has a cottage outside of Burnside on Lake Cumberland, so we'll have a free place to crash.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
That sounds great guys! We'll see how the interest goes. We could even do some cruises around the area. BOR, Burnside is about 128 miles away.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What a shameless ploy to get FREE DELIVERY of those 19.5 wheels!!!

Patti and I would LOVE to take you up on the offer. We had plans to attend a Bluegrass festival 50 miles south of us, but we would much rather join You and a bunch of FTE'rs.
I would have to leave Edith home as we'd prefer to drive the F250 and pull the camper there. Shane, thanks a million for the offer, count us in!!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Mercury Bluz
Senior User
That sounds like a h*ll of idea!
I'd be up to making the trip, even if just to add an international flavour to the GTG.
Don't think the Merc will be up and running by then, but the RV will, as long as security doesn't ban Dodges!!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
I will try and make but i will have to drive my Corvette since the 48 will not finished by then.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 PM
greg1235
Freshman User
Sounds like fun. I'm not too far away and if at all possible I'd come down and hang for a day or so.

Quick Reply: If I do this, will you come? 48-60 FTE KY get-together