6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 03:04 AM
Doc Juju
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner.

My wife just bought me a 2005 F350 DRW FX4 with a 6.0 in it and 100k miles for Father's Day. While I'm a bit familiar with the 7.3, I know nothing of the 6.0 except that it had a lot of problems initially. Any advice as to what to look out for or pre emptive fixes would be appreciated. Right now the only thing I can find that is an issue is the climate control selection for outputs i.e. Which vents doesn't work. Any and all advice or hints and tips would be appreciated. Truck is bone stock far as I can tell, and is running well at the moment. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:24 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
WELCOME TO FTE

Vents defaulting to defrost can be a one of just a few things.
Leak or no vacuum or a bad blend door.
The vacuum pump is on the passenger side wheel well cover behind
the battery and vacuum reservoir. When you first turn the key to RUN
but not all the way to start you should hear (1) the injectors chatter
(2) fuel pump run and (3) the vacuum pump run. It also tends to be the
last one to finish. If you don't hear it then it worth looking into.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 06-25-2016, 05:28 AM
Doc Juju
Freshman User
Thank Yahiko, I'll check into it on my next day off and post.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:10 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc Juju
My wife just bought me a 2005 F350 DRW FX4 with a 6.0 in it and 100k miles for Father's Day. While I'm a bit familiar with the 7.3, I know nothing of the 6.0 except that it had a lot of problems initially. Any advice as to what to look out for or pre emptive fixes would be appreciated. Right now the only thing I can find that is an issue is the climate control selection for outputs i.e. Which vents doesn't work. Any and all advice or hints and tips would be appreciated. Truck is bone stock far as I can tell, and is running well at the moment. Thanks.
Boy, you have lots of reading to do here.

Start with changing your fuel filters, oil change, tranny fluid if not done at suggested intervals, etc. Use Motorcraft only.
Add a coolant filter, Blue Spring fuel regulator kit, and get something to measure your eot's vs ect's, etc.
Dig into the tech folder for some very good info.
A very good motor if you stay one step ahead.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:18 PM
Doc Juju
Freshman User
So found the problem with the vents and it was the grey vacuum tube. Easy fix, thanks gents. I'll get back on any other items. And yes there is a lot of reading. Makes my night shifts pass faster and I enjoy everyone's posts and input. Learning a lot about my new rig.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:34 PM
Forddiesel06
Senior User
Welcome to the forum Doc and as said before do some reading and evaluate the truck and see what you need to do. I agree from other people here, start by doing oil & fuel filters and coolant change and also tyranny too. Congrats on your new truck

Old 06-25-2016, 10:42 PM
Doc Juju
Freshman User
Thanks ford diesel 06. Already in love with the rig. Had a 7.3 once but that was 20 years ago, still miss that rig. This one is an 05 F350 DRW FX4 with a 100k on the clock. As much as I can tell its bone stock except rancho shocks which I think may be shot. Had an issue with the vent selection but that's fixed now. Only other things I have noted are a steering wander right and left (may be the steering damper) and a suspension gallop when on concrete hi ways and that may just be the shocks. Also noted a whine when depressing the accelerator. I'm not sure about the whine but think it may be from the turbo. Never heard that noise before from a diesel. Any ideas or suggestions please let me know. My plans are to change all fluids and filters, the shocks and the steering damper and do a blue spring mod. Other than that, I'm adverse to changing things unless it's broken.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 AM
Black1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other than that, I'm adverse to changing things unless it's broken.
In general, I like that approach. The only thing on the 6.0 that I really hate is the EGR cooler. I waited until mine failed before I deleted it. If I had to do it all over again, I should have been preemptive on that.

New 6.0 owners are endlessly told "You gotta do this that blah blah blah to bulletproof it, spend $5K right away, blah blah blah..." And a LOT of times said "expert" has never even owned a 6.0. I've seen that for years on forums and in real life, and I'm sure others here have too.

From a long-term owner's perspective (I bought this new in March of '04), the truck does require diligence in maintenance schedules. I have had to work on it, but with the age and mileage (276K) things wear out. That said, I still have the original turbo, all original injectors, and head bolts. It's never been studded or otherwise "bulletproofed". When something does break, the truck does a good job of telling you what's wrong. And if you're even modestly handy with tools, you can do a lot of the repairs in your driveway. This forum and Youtube videos by DieselTechRon (may he RIP) are great resources when you need them.

I don't abuse it, but several times every week the turbo gets a little full-boost exercise. Nothing crazy, but I'll stand on that throttle. Use it, maintain it, and it'll work for you.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:33 AM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
ScanGauge2 or some kind of OBD2 monitor to keep an eye on things. Very important in my opinion.

Oh and post some pics if you have them, we love pics.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:38 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Welcome Doc! I will run a little counter to the crowd here, seeing as you have an '05 (which includes '05+), and suggest you proactively replace the Snap To Connect (STC) fitting off the HPOP. Ford tried a couple of fixes but came up with the final fix after the 6.0 had left the F series and was just in the Vans.

See many other parts of the high pressure oil system may very well let you know they are leaking internally, etc. But the STC, while it might warn you, also many times will not. If it separates you are dead on the spot. If it comes off and you are at high pressure, it can hit the rear cast aluminum engine cover and break it. Then you are both dead AND now you get to pull the trans or engine to replace that rear cover.

If you have or can get records see if it has already been done; otherwise I'd put it near the top of my list...

It can happen, just ask Per4mance....

Oh and on Edit: the FX4 package included Rancho 5000s....

Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 PM
klbrown
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks ford diesel 06. Already in love with the rig. Had a 7.3 once but that was 20 years ago, still miss that rig. This one is an 05 F350 DRW FX4 with a 100k on the clock. As much as I can tell its bone stock except rancho shocks which I think may be shot. Had an issue with the vent selection but that's fixed now. Only other things I have noted are a steering wander right and left (may be the steering damper) and a suspension gallop when on concrete hi ways and that may just be the shocks. Also noted a whine when depressing the accelerator. I'm not sure about the whine but think it may be from the turbo. Never heard that noise before from a diesel. Any ideas or suggestions please let me know. My plans are to change all fluids and filters, the shocks and the steering damper and do a blue spring mod. Other than that, I'm adverse to changing things unless it's broken.
I have an 05 SRW. It was all over the road when I first got it. For me it was just a matter of getting used to big truck steering vs small car.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Your getting some very good info here.
Deal with the things that need to be fixed first and if you happen
to have to go past something that is on the needs to be checked list
do that while you there if it has not been done. The STC can be a
bad thing and is well worth at least checking to see if it's been done
or not.

The one thing right off the bat that is well worth getting is something
to read live data like one of the ELM OBD2 port tools or the
SGII aka >>> ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge
2 things that are not covered by the SGII EGT and Fuel pressure.
Some of the other systems have add-on that let you read x number
of added sensors.

Very good Youtube sources are
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdm...l=srmastertech
and
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...=DieselTechRon
The two of them have saved so many people so much frustrations and money.
They both will be sorely missed.

I am trying to think of things that are good to look into that won't swamp you brain
with too much info.

I think the best advice I can give is ASK QUESTIONS about
what you read and your going to be better off.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 06-26-2016, 06:39 PM
Doc Juju
Freshman User
Inundated with info. No, just kidding. This is great. All of you are really a big help and the info is truely priceless for any new owner. Keep the info coming. Awesome

Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I purchased my 05 in May and there were a few things I did right away after spending months reading and studying the 6.0. I've had a 96 OBS with the 7.3 and a 00 with the 7.3 so I was somewhat familiar with a diesel. First on the list was oil, fuel, ELC coolant and transmission fluids and filters. Then sent the FICM off to be gone through so I didn't have to worry about that. Next was the blue spring, tires, and ball joints. I had just bought a 140 amp alternator and batteries for the 00' so those got moved over. And finally checked the STC fitting and cleaned the turbo.

So after all that has been said and done I feel much better about my purchase and can drive it and not worry about it letting me down. Just read and get to know this engine and you'll be miles ahead of any problems.

And definitely get some sort of scan gauge it is essential in trouble shooting if a problem
arises.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:02 PM
Doc Juju
Freshman User
Thanks FiznUKa. Appreciate the feedback. Love this truck, but still miss my 7.3 from years ago.

Quick Reply: New owner.