Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

The Lone Ranger Build...Dakota Style!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:16 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old Ford trucks and slots. The only way to go. I got them on my 62 Uni as well. "Luv em"

Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Slots

Originally Posted by '86 F150
Thats cool you are keeping it in the family. The new wheels look great on it. What kind of 5 slots are those in your last post? Nice score.
'86, not sure for now. They have center caps with a "Ford" button but I will go dis-mount them tomorrow and see what I really have. I'm excited.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Old Ford trucks and slots. The only way to go. I got them on my 62 Uni as well. "Luv em"
this was my first choice in wheels but couldn't pass up the deal on the ones installed currently on the Lone Ranger. I am excited about breaking them down tomorrow and getting them cleaned up.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:03 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Progress!

Wow, what a great day in the Pacific North Wet! We had a dry day and hopefully another one tomorrow. I got the windshield rubber replaced and I felt so relieved and a super sence of accomplishment! I worked for Safelite Auto Glass for 4 years before coming back into the Navy but I have always been nervous about working on my own rigs. I never liked doing the old fords with the big chrome trim because they are a royal P.I.T.A! Mine did not help matters any! After getting the glass out (original from the looks), cleaning up the truck and putting the gasket on the glass, now the fun begain. Installing the Chrome trim is what I hate. It took me about 2 hours to get all the pieces installed. I have not professionally installed glass for over 12 years but I was still able to gather up my skills and get-r-dun! Tomorrow is suppose to be nice again and I will have more updates! Enjoy the Pics! For the LMC haters, that is where the rubber came and it was of great quality and fit like a glove! I would be more than happy buying it again!

Attached Images     
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Looks good! I have the easier rubber with the insert trim in it. MUCH easier to replace the glass. ...which is good, because I need to.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 AM
rockittsled
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jim rizzo or one of his crew at classic truck or custom classic truck magazine spent several days and a couple of shops trying to get the chrome trim into a windshield of one of their trucks, so GOOD JOB

Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM
dakotarider
Tuned
Originally Posted by rockittsled
jim rizzo or one of his crew at classic truck or custom classic truck magazine spent several days and a couple of shops trying to get the chrome trim into a windshield of one of their trucks, so GOOD JOB
When I lived in South Dakota, I worked for Safelite Auto glass for 4 years and replaced many of these windshields among other in old vehicles. I haven't done glass work since 2001 and mine took me about 4 hours to do. Use to take 45 min to an hour! But, I also had a "few" barley pops when installing mine! After sitting out in the rain for a week, truck is still dry!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:06 AM
dakotarider
Tuned
Not a huge update but I did get the RANGER badge put on the right bed side and this weekend in the PACNORWET is suppose to be dry, I have BIG plans to repace ALL Fluids. I am in the military so Plans ae something to deviate from. Hopefully, I will get the bottom side done! Will let everone know, with pics!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 AM
MikePacey
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for serving man! Really and I mean REALLY appreciate what you do, you guys don't get enough credit!

Good lookin' old girl you got thurrr! Those new rims you picked up are ANSEN Spirits ( I believe thats how you spell it) slot mags. Original a 60's slot magneizium rim mostly run on race cars and such, now I believe American Racing makes a reproduction rim. I run a set of original slots on my g-body drag car! Makes any vehicle they are look even more manly and musclar!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Originally Posted by MikePacey
Thanks for serving man! Really and I mean REALLY appreciate what you do, you guys don't get enough credit!

Good lookin' old girl you got thurrr! Those new rims you picked up are ANSEN Spirits ( I believe thats how you spell it) slot mags. Original a 60's slot magneizium rim mostly run on race cars and such, now I believe American Racing makes a reproduction rim. I run a set of original slots on my g-body drag car! Makes any vehicle they are look even more manly and musclar!
Mike,
Thanks for the kind words. As for the wheels, here is a decal on the inner surface of the rim. Not sure of the brand but they are not deep dish wheels so I don't know if I will use them on the truck. As for today, I had to take the carb back off and see why there was some resistance in the throttle. It was the choke lever that was bent and hitting when it shouldn't so I bent it and now it's good. I then tore into the drivers doors door and attacked the weather stripping. The old stuff was rock hard and took a bit to get it out. While apart, cleaned the glass and lubed the regulator. Tomorrow will be the pass door.

Attached Images     
Old 05-18-2013, 01:00 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
May update

Well, after a couple months and a little tinkering here and there, I still could not get my carb figured out. So, with some of the governments money (tax return), I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new intake and carb. I got a performer 390 and a 1406 edelbrock. I have the gaskets and small parts and started tearing it apart last night until the rain came. So in preperation, I used Purple Power and pressure washed the engine and compartment. Found a factory sticker on the right valve cover and a 'Not so" stock heater return hose. I guess my pop's was more REDNECK than I thought! Also purchased a Rough Country 4" lift kit that is still sitting on the garage floor. For that, I still need some of the front bushings and extended brake lines for the rear. Here are some pics of the goodies. Need to get outside and start working while the rain is at bay!

Attached Images     
Old 05-19-2013, 09:39 AM
crrnchris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking good!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 PM
dakotarider
Tuned
Sunday's project

Well, I tore into the motor today and for the truck only having 77k original miles, the inside is nasty dirty! Dad always did like Penzoil. Found a casting number inside with "D3TE". From my limited knowledge, that equals a 1973. Kinda makes sense, since it has a 73 carb and 73 ditro. Now the million dollar question, when did it get installed. Called my mom today and she doesn't remember pop's ever replacing it. So, pop'g bought it in 78 so the motor must have been replaced prior to that. Anyway, found a broke push rod on the #2 cyl that I ordered and will be here tomorrow. So I pressed ahead and cleaned, scrubbed and got the intake installed along with the right side valve train. Tomorrow will be the left side and clean/paint the valve covers. Hopefully I will be able to get it all buttoned up by Thursday. Here are some pics!

Attached Images      
Old 06-10-2013, 12:19 AM
dakotarider
Tuned
Where does the time go?

Wow! It has been 3 weeks since I have posted last on the build progress. So..................,I have had a hell of a time over the past 3 weeks getting everything ready to build up. It has been one problem after another and I was loosing patients each day so I slowed down until I remembered that I had no deadline and that it was not my daily driver. This is a project that is suppose to be enjoying and not a choir. So, this is where I am at!
I put on the new intake and carb. Had to replace the distribuator due to me breaking the old one by putting too much pressure on it. Forgot to put on the by pass tube on so that meant that I had to pull the entire front off the motor. Good thing because I replaced the belts and hoses too. Also painted all the brackets. So, after doing all that, I got it all put back together and fired it up today. I was really scared that I had the distrubutor in wrong and by stabbing it in the position that I thought was correct, it fired up and ran STRONG!! Now, I need to hook up the vacuum lines for the trans, and the other 3 lines on the back area of the carb by the firewall. Here are some pics:

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 AM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Very nice story with your build/restore!!! I like where you are going with it so far. If it was my Dad's truck I would have done tires, wheels, and a lift just as you have done, then take the rest back to original or the way "Dad" had it. The washer hose was pretty funny!

Quick Reply: The Lone Ranger Build...Dakota Style!