Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 F350 dually smokes

Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
99powerstrokedF250
Senior User
99powerstrokedF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
99 F350 dually smokes

Okay, so this is actually up for my father in law. I have actually sold my 7.3, and the jury is out on if it was a mistake or not.

Anyway, he has a '99 F350 CC dually, 7.3 powerstroke automatic 4x4. When he bought it, it ran pretty good but the exhaust sounded tinny. Then over the winter it did not want to start at all, unless it was more than 40 degrees or he put his salamander under it to warm it up (turns out the block heater was disconnected and not working). Once it started it would fog his front yard with white smoke, which I had to presume was raw diesel fuel, because it stunk like it.

He took it to a local diesel mechanic, who replaced glow plugs, the glow plug and intake heater relays, and reflashed the computer to stock as apparently someone leaned it out. He was then told that his exhaust should be at least a 4 inch, if not 5, but it is currently only a 3 inch. I am guessing that, if this is true, the 3 inch was installed by an incompetent exhaust shop by an owner who wanted to save a little cash. Ever since the reflash, the truck blows black smoke when you really get on it. It used to be just for a second or two, but it has been progressively getting worse over the last month or so. The truck seems to run great otherwise, aside from a weep around the rear main seal.

I hope I've given everyone a decent idea of what is going on. We are looking for suggestions as to what the cause may be, because my father in law does not want to put a new exhaust on this truck unless he needs to. Please give some feedback.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
I don't know why he reflashed it, but they didn't do a very good job if it smokes. Should of left it alone. Seems like it needs more air now because it is rich and not burning the fuel. I believe the stock exhaust is 3 1/2 inch. If its stock it is fine. 4 inch is better but that won't make it smoke.

Chet

Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 AM
99powerstrokedF250
Senior User
99powerstrokedF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The mechanic said he compared it to a stock tune and it was set to run really lean. So he flashed it back to a stock tune.

As for airflow, it has a stock turbo and intake, aside from the cover over the battery being gone (filter is in place though). The exhaust does seem really small, definitely smaller than 3.5 inches. So I don't think air in is the issue. It could be getting the air back out.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
You need more air to run more fuel. If its rich, black smoke, its needs more air. Unless it was ford who reflashed it, Or a know custom tuner, I would say it was done wrong.
My 2 cents.

Chet

Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The exhaust may be stock, I've wondered about that lately as a lot of folks say they have a stock 3.5, so I measured a few. They seem to be just a bit over 3", but certainly not 3.5. I even measured a friends 6.0 F350 and it wasn't 3.5 either. Seems it may be 3" I.D. I just thought I'd share that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.