My 55 F-100 Project - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 55 F-100 Project

Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 AM
South of BC
Elder User
South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.
Actually I was more interested in the Ford-O-Matic and it's linkage but would've taken the 292 if I had to. I bought some parts from a guy who has a storage locker in Post Falls, across the street from Stateline Showgirls. He's a regular on the Spokane Craigslist or I can give you his number.

I'm not sure of the status on my 302. It's from an '88 TBird that my dad had put in the truck. He'd dressed it up with Edelbrock manifold and carb and I got a set of Sanderson headers for it.

Best wishes on your project, perhaps we'll run into one another sometime, just hopefully while NOT driving our trucks.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.
I will ask Don if he really wants the ford-o-matic. If he doesn't plan on useing it on his project, I will drop you a line and pass his numbers to you.

Gary

Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.
South of BC,
Bad news for you, Don stopped by today as I was sand blasting a few of my trouble spots and I asked him about the Ford-o-matic that You wanted. He shut me down instantly because he has already found the original x-member and linkage for it.

Gary

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Project-55
Elder User
I stepped up today and sent out my cab for soda blasting. I spent almost 8 hours last Saturday trying to media blast it but my blaster kept plugging up. All in all I only cleaned maybe 20% of it,,,,,soo frustrating. But what I did discover was that it looks like I need to repair 3 cab pockets.

On a better note, I finally got 2 and only 2 photo's to load, one of which is below.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...951309&thumb=1

Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Project-55
Elder User
I've been out of town for a couple weeks in eastern Montana on fire assignment and was pleased to find my cab back from the soda blaster. I was expecting the worst but it came back just as I had hoped.

The rear cab pockets and the l/h forward pocket need changing but everything else is solid. Being as the r/h door has been folded forward into the heater grill I ordered that panel too rather than spending the time to take the crease out of it.

So assuming that I am not sent back out on another fire, I hope to be welding in the new panels sometime next week and priming the bare metal cab.

Still fighting with the photo upload thing and really have no clue what I am doing wrong, I have followed all the tips given here to the letter. I sure wish I could upload straight from the computer.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
akaFrankCastle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Project-55 View Post
The 302 engine I picked up has a casting number of EOAE with a D3C below that and the tranny tag says E4LP AC.

Can anyone tell me where to research what I have because these numbers don't show up on the forum links.
Gary, you should be able to find out anything you want about the casting numbers here: Decoding Ford casting part numbers

Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Thanks for the engine info.

Just got back from yet another fire assignment and got to work on the cab. The floor skin was rotted out around the front cab mounts so I took them out and fabbed up new skin panels and got them all flush welded in. The front cab side panels were changed by a friend while I was out on fires so as soon as I finish up putting the cab hard points back in I can roll the cab over and start replacing the rear cab corners.

Thats all for now

Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Project-55
Elder User
Started my vacation a week or so ago and have made some good progress on the truck.

First order was to install the crown vic IFS that I found for $125.00. It is in great shape and I designed a simple steel radius block to mate it up to the curve of the lower frame rail and ran down to the local steel guys and spent about $50.00 on all the stuff I needed. I moved my axel center 1 inch forward which will better center the wheels in the fenders which makes it a 111 inch wb now.

By the end of the first day I almost had it mocked up in place and by the end of the next it was all tacked in with the exception of the trailing arm mounts which I fabed up the next morning and put in.

I spent the rest of my third day jumping from side to side, stitch welding everything in solid and grinding things down smooth.

I'm still on the prowl for a IRS system and have found a really nice mark 8 but the guy wants a bit more than I want to pay right now even though he said that I could pull the entire air ride system out for it.

Got a line on a mustang IRS but havent been able to arrange a meeting with the guy yet,

During my junk yard prowling I picked up an 87 ford van tilt steering column to fill the hole in my cab as the truck came without one, another small problem solved.

Now all I have left up front is to plug about 20 holes in the forward frame rails so I can get the boxing plates installed and flushed in.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 PM
fatfenders56
Posting Guru
fatfenders56 has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders56 has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders56 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like progress to me, FYI, the top chop thing is a lot simpler if you can get another top skin and lay it on after splitting the other pieces. keeps all the welding on the curved areas instead of the middle of the sheet metal. Somebody also needs to explore the possibility of chopping a slant cab and eliminating the 2 inch wide panel above the windshield. I chopped a slant cab once and used at 56 top skin with the visor, was pretty neat. GO FOR IT!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Hey FF 56,
I bought the top half of a cab with a good roof which is sitting in the corner, I think that its a good plan to do the chop then replace the roof panel.
Probably be a lot easyier to throw some scrap in the sun roof hole, do the chop then put in the new roof panel.

I finished flush welding all of the un-needed frame holes today then started chopping 1 inch square bar and tapping them for my engine bay boxing plates. they will be welded on the inside of the frame channel so I can screw the boxing plates in. By doing this, all of my electrical, fuel, and brake lines can be installed inside the frame channel, then covered by the screw in boxing plates. The frame will lose some rigidity but then again, I'm planning on a SBF (302) and AOD tranny, not a huffer and B&M, I want to drive it, not fill it up at every fuel pit along my route.

In relation to the engine, I began fabbing up a basic set of engine mounts to bolt the 302 onto the crown vic crossmember hard points. I want to tuck the motor low but the sway bar of the crown vic suspension looks like it and the crank pully are going to want to occupy the same space so may have to punt and move to plan B,,,whatever that is.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:50 AM
tacson
Posting Guru
tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.tacson has a great reputation on FTE.
Project 55 what CV IFS are you using?

Did you ever figure out the year of your 302?

Is this the former home of a sunroof in your cab?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Project-55
Elder User
Originally Posted by tacson View Post
Project 55 what CV IFS are you using?

Did you ever figure out the year of your 302?

Is this the former home of a sunroof in your cab?

Hey Tacson,
I just finished the installation of my 2004 P71 crown vic IFS last week and love everything about it. It is one inch wider than the stock solid axel but that just means I'll have to add a bit of offset when I decide to buy wheels.

Don't ya love that monster hole in the cab, it was cut so big that the sun roof almost drops right through it, but not to fear as I have a new cab roof.

The pic of the engine is the 292 that I got with the truck, I have already swapped it for a 302 (mid-90's) and an AOD tranny, then a friend of mine gave me another 302 (mid 70's I think) with a c-4 tranny, it has the smog heads with the air ports etc but he rebuilt it a few years before he pulled it out so it should be a good short block, all it needs is decent heads.

This was my last week of vacation and turned out to be pretty productive. Yesterday I scored a T' bird IRS system at pull and save with every last bolt, springs, and sway bar for $125.00 out the door. The 95 bird only had 79400 on the clock and everything is in great shape but I will drop the punkin and put new seals in that and maybe throw on some new axel shafts (there like $79.00 each exchange), have the disks turned and toss in a new set of brake pads. I figure I'll have a bit over $300.00 in it by the time its all done.
I looked at the team 321 mount kit but just dont like having to hack into the frame so I have already begun the cardboard templates for my own system which will use a radius block under the frame like I did on the crown vic IFS. The front mount arms of the IRS will also be cut and moved back under the frame rail instead of useing the team 321 type of mount, which I think is just plain ugly as h***.

I also began my custom grill fab work, I bolted the grill down to a 2x12 (overkill) then cut out the center bars and tossed then in the trash pile. Aftre the headlight buckets get some tlc (they are in bad shape) I can begin building my canted slat grill that will fill the entire area between the top and bottom of the headlight buckets. In my mind it will look great, I guess we will find out once the cardboard templates are all in place.

The guy who is keeping me straight on the body work (Pete) got the driver side rear cab pocket replaced and the passenger side all layed out and ready to begin tacking in. Once the pockets are completed it will be time to roll it over, weld in some x bracing and begin the 2 inch top chop.

I hate having to go back to work, but need to earn a check to keep on feeding the truck new parts.

Gary

Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Project-55
Elder User
another try at postin photo's

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  73.8 KB

replacement roof

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  98.9 KB

l/h fwd cab floor skin repair. I had to remove the upper and lower body mounts and replace the entire floor and rocker panel skin as this corner had some really major rot. Once the floor skin was welded back in, I aligned the upper cab mount with the original spot welds, welded it back in, drilled the mount hole, bolted the lower mount to the cab and then welded it all back in. Doing it this way was a pain in the B***, but it was the right wat to go.

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  99.5 KB

The basic replacement skin insert is positioned and trimmed to fit the cutout floor skin then tacked in place.

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  103.1 KB

Then after the floor skin is flush welded, the rotted corner of the firewall is cut out.

Name:  015.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  81.5 KB

firewall corner skin removed

Name:  020.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  120.8 KB

new corner section fabbedand ready

Name:  022.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  125.4 KB

firewall panel welded in

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  77.3 KB

This is the r/h side floor skin repair and corner mounts after they have all been welded back in.

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  99.0 KB

r/h A pillar skin was replaced by a friend while I was out on fire assignment

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  82.1 KB

He even took pity on me and replaced the l/h A pillar skin.

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  96.8 KB

bottom of cab after blasting, guess its time to flip it on its nose and get rid of those rotted rear corners.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Project-55
Elder User
2004 Crown Vic IFS installation

Hey all, I know this has been done before but here is the way I installed a CV IFS into my 55 f-100. I thought and planned (over a beer or two) for maybe 3 hours then went shopping for my steel. By the end of the next day I had everything mocked up and in place. Then by late the next afternoon it was all in and finish welded. I personally think that useing radius blocks made this installation much less involved than some threads that I have seen here.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  84.6 KB

Heres the basic CV IFS, a 100% bolt in unit which uses two bolts per side to support the main unit, a trailing arm mount per side, and a sway bar mount per side.

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  98.4 KB

I used wood blocks to form radius blocks that will be welded to the bottom of the frame rails. Once I had them fitted where everything was level and true it was time to transfer these measurements to steel.

Name:  019.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  95.1 KB

These radius blocks were then drilled with a 3/4" drill for the IFS alignment pin and two 1" holes were drilled for the bolt bushings.

Name:  023.jpg
Size:  96.0 KB

Because I was unable to cut the curve of the radius block I had to use a hand grinder and work the radius block into final shape the hard way. (I think it was a two beer job)

Name:  025.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  72.9 KB

Next it was time to drill the frame with a 1" hole saw for the bolt bushing to slid through and clean up the entire area of the frame where the IFS will mount.

Name:  032.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  132.6 KB

Top plates / shim plates were made from 2" x 1/2" x 13" flat stock and drilled with a 1" hole for the bolt bushings. These bushing extend from the top surface of the top plates to the bottom surface of the radius block, thus "pinning" the entire assembly to the frame.

Name:  031.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  118.7 KB

The Unit is installed and checked and rechecked for level and plumb while the mount bolts are slowly tightened, then finally torqued to 65 ft lbs. I tack welded the pieces in one at a time, alternating from side to side until every single piece was secured in it's final place.

Name:  055.jpg
Size:  87.2 KB

Then I removed the IFS and finish welded everything in before going to the next step of making the trailing arm mounts.

Name:  038.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  91.8 KB

The trailing arm bearing have a 30 something degree mount plate on them which I decide to discard because the bearings align so well with the trucks frame that I think I can make something better. Note that the bearing has an eliptical hole for aligning the front end on the rack, it is important to keep this hole in a horizontal aspect, otherwise rack alignment may be near impossible.

Name:  042.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  93.4 KB

After cutting the stock mount plate off and installing the bearing I notice that the two forward rivets of the intermediate crossmember are directly above the bearing and I decide to remove them and use those holes to bolt my mount to the frame.

Name:  047.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  96.6 KB

I used a 4 inch piece of 1 x 2 box tubing to fill the gap between the bearing and frame, all I needed to do was weld nuts inside the tubing to mount it to the frame.

Name:  049.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  95.3 KB

Once the nuts were welded in, I bolted the box tubing to the frame and then tack welded the bearing to it.

Name:  050.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  74.1 KB

I then removed the bearing and cut 1 1/2 x 1/4 strap and welded side plates to each side of the assembly. Because of the risk of damaging the elastromeric bearing, I stitch welded everything in and kept it quenched in cold water.

Name:  051.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  99.5 KB

The finished product lookes like it was made for this style frame yet is still fully adjustable on the alignment rack.

All thats left now is to mount the sway bar.

Name:  037.jpg
Size:  117.6 KB

The sway bar was the easiest part of the entire job, all that I had to do was lift it into place, align the trailing links until they were vertical to the lower control arm and clamp the sway bar in place.
The bushing spacing fit the trucks frame spacing perfectly so all I had to do was drill the mount holes and bolt the caps in place. This job is done.

Next, I will post some pic's of the 1995 T Bird IRS that I have installed.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Project-55
Elder User
scrounging parts in Oregon

I"ve been down in Oregon since late October working on the Christmas tree harvest with the helicopters but have had enough slow days (which are rare) to do a bit of digging around in Oregon for parts and have to say that I scored big down here.

I found a really nice guy and long time builder/hotrodder who had a bunch of mid 50 parts.

I scored a near perfect set of running boards and widshield for cheap and met a kewl guy in the process

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 55 F-100 Project

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.