1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 6.0 2wd to 4wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Fordracing BII
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 6.0 2wd to 4wd conversion

I bought this 2005 F350 6.0 2wd Auto when I lived in California. I moved to Montana and now i need a 4wd. I tried to sell it here in Montana but with the 6.0 in it and 2wd the best offer I got was $8,000 (I paid over $30,000) and the truck only has 75K!! so rather than give it away I thought I would check in to converting to 4wd. I have a 2000 F350 7.3L 4wd same gear ratio front axle and all the suspension parts. It looks like i just need a transfer case which after measuring will bolt up to my 2wd trans, I will need to get a front drive shaft and shorten the rear. I know the front of my 2wd has coil springs and the front 4wd axle I have has leaf . will the coil spring seats bolt to this axle?or can I use the leaf spring set up? I know these trucks have most all the mounting points for either 4wd or 2wd . .can anyone tell me what else I might run into? I know some of you guys have said it would be more cost effective to just buy a 4wd but already having most all the parts and a shop to work in this makes sense for me I will post pics and how many beers are consumed doing this swap. . . .and then there is the issue of the 6.0 and all its problems

Old 05-11-2012, 02:33 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the suspension will work, doubtful on the axle as well. As you noticed, your 05 has coils, so did the 4wd trucks so it won't be a simple switch. Anything is possible...with enough time and money. Does the 2000 not run anymore? Why not run it during the winter months and save the 2005 for summer driving?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:39 PM
cbzdel
Elder User
Just to be clear, I am assuming you are thinking of manual 4x4 not a ESOF system correct?

Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
I haven't done it yet, but in 2008, it looks like you can just completely unbolt the twin I's and spring perches and replace them with the 4x4 brackets...

Keep in mind, you can do the front suspension prior to the transmission/T-case/driveshafts and still have a working vehicle.

I don't think the t-case will just connect to the transmission. You will have to swap the tail shaft which involves rebuilding the transmission.

When I finally get around to doing this, I plan to get a pickup as close to what I want as I can (but torn up, hopefully rear ended) and rob parts from it. I'll do the front axle first and see how it settles before I swap the transmission. The only question mark will be the 4x4 lights on the dash... I sure hope they work.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,574 Likes on 1,052 Posts
I *think* the output shaft is fine. If the trans has a flange bolted to the output shaft a transfer case should fit fine. If there is a slip yoke on the output of the trans you'll have to swap the output shaft.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Fordracing BII
Freshman User
Yes, Mark the trans has a flange and I measured the bolt pattern and it looks good to go. Maverick22 the 2000 is a parts truck, and the price was right $0 so that makes this swap affordable. cbzdel yes i was thinking ESOF . . . .will that be difficult? From what I understand its just some vacuum hoses and a switch . .is there more to it?
Also i forgot to ask if there would be issues with the computer . . I may have to swap that also??
Thanks for the replies guys . .keep em coming this project is far from over

Old 05-12-2012, 12:07 AM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
I haven't done it yet, but in 2008, it looks like you can just completely unbolt the twin I's and spring perches and replace them with the 4x4 brackets...
I can see that on trucks of the same era, but he's wanting to put a 2000 front end under a 2005. I thought they changed the front of the frame in 2005 to accommodate the change over to coils? I doubt the spring perches for the leaf spring front would match up. Like I said, anything is possible w/ enough time and money but I'd want to take a lot of measurements before I even started on this project. I thought the axle was even different.

Originally Posted by Fordracing BII
Yes, Mark the trans has a flange and I measured the bolt pattern and it looks good to go. Maverick22 the 2000 is a parts truck, and the price was right $0 so that makes this swap affordable. cbzdel yes i was thinking ESOF . . . .will that be difficult? From what I understand its just some vacuum hoses and a switch . .is there more to it?
Also i forgot to ask if there would be issues with the computer . . I may have to swap that also??
Thanks for the replies guys . .keep em coming this project is far from over
It would definitely be tougher to make the ESOF work. I'm not sure if the PCM has anything to do w/ the switches to shift but I would bet there's something. Then you'd have to run vacuum down to the hubs. Definitely be easier to find a manual t-case.

What about putting a locker or good limited slip in the rear of your 2wd? That coupled w/ some GOOD tires might get you by for a couple years? I've driven a 2wd w/ a locker and really low gears and that thing would go everywhere a 4wd would. Top speed was definitely limited w/ the gears though.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Fordracing BII
Freshman User
Maverick, I have 4 (it has duel rear wheels) BF Goodrich mud terrain TAs KM2 which has a very aggressive tread and is a very good tire I even have chains for them but the 6.0 is heavy and even these tires with chains just don't cut it . . nothing compares to having power at all four corners. I wanna make this truck work. I spent a a wad of cash buying this truck and it has poor trade in value even though it has low miles and near perfect interior. I'd lose my a$$ selling it or trying to trade it and I dont need a boat anchor I think I can pull this off . . .I just need some good advice and suggestions and I think I'm at the right place.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Just another thought. I know you have the donor truck but I can't imagine the leaf spring axle would work with the coil springs or vise versa without extensive modifications to the truck or needing to change the spring perches. Not to mention making sure everything is lined up properly so it tracks down the road correctly.
Anyways, these projects, even with "free" parts tend to get expensive. My thoughts are what if in the end of this conversion it it costs you thousands. I know you won't get the value you want for your truck, you're in snow county with a 2WD, but if your willing to spend thousands why not put that money plus the value of your truck into a 4x4? I know it's your baby but I'd hate to see you spend a ton of cash that you could've put into an already made 4x4.
I know conversions have been done but everyone I've read had a ton of headaches or it was some big time off road shop with tons of money for a project and ALL the right tools. Maybe you can list it for sale back in Cali and offer to ship it?
Good luck with whichever road you choose. I'd just choose the one with far less headaches

Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
IF your going to do this, get a 05-07 wrecked 4x4 that has a PSD

reason being, you can get all the parts you need, and the t-case and proper transmission tailshaft will be on the donor truck.

this is a bolt in fix. but you have to have all the parts/pieces. and if it were me, I'd grab a manual t-case truck and forego all the ESOF crap. it's pretty on the dash, but not needed and only complicates matters.

edit: another reason to avoid that donor truck you have currently is axle width. the 05+ axles are 4" wider than the 99-04 trucks. so even if you managed to convert to leaf sprung up front and did the whole thing, you'd have to run 2" spacers on each front wheel to keep your 05+ rims.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:48 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
I finished an '03 2wd conversion using a donor '06 4wd this past January. It was (and is) a very expensive road you're on. I had numerous modifications to my '03 that made it make sense for me to invest that amount of money to make the conversion. Unless you have a really good reason to do it or just want a project, trade trucks.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Fordracing BII
Freshman User
MDSuperDuty I have already listed the truck in California . . no takers I presume its because of the 6.0L . . . people are just plain scared of this motor . . .rightfully so. I guess I should have posted that I'm semi-retired and I don't have a bunch of $ so buying another truck is not an option. I would very much like to trade this truck and be done with it but the fact is I cant . . .and if i get started with this conversion soon I will have it ready before the first snow.
Tylus I am considering the manual transfer case. I wont need to swap the tail shaft its has the right one with the correct bolt pattern. Running 2 " spacers on the front isn't unusual is it?
I pretty much don't have a choice except to just leave it as is but it's kinda worthless like it is now . . . .I think I can get this "dog" to hunt!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM
BigRy
Elder User
So, what did you decide? I Have an 05 Excursion and I am in the process of picking up a a 70K Mile Dana 60 complete front minus the T Case and shaft. I am just trying to source everything I need now.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:22 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Way too much trouble. I would sell it in the nearest area that uses 2WD or on Ebay (it's done all the time). It's all about supply and demand so pawn it on the flatlands.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Fordracing BII
Freshman User
BigRy I finished my conversion and I'm very happy with it. Some things you will need to check out: What transmission do you have and will the T-case just bolt up to it like mine did in my Super Duty. ( I don't know what transmission is in your excursion) Are you going to use auto lock hubs? if so you will need the wiring harness and switch that goes on the dash. My 05 2wd Super Duty had coil springs in front and since I was installing a front axle from an 02 Super Duty with leaf springs I needed to remove the coil spring/shock bracket riveted to the frame . . . .this takes some time and I used a plasma cutter to remove the rivets.
Check the length of that Dana 60 and compare it to your front end now and see if there is a difference, you may need spacers I was lucky and didn't need them.
Will your new axle come with rotors and calipers?
Tracking down a T-case from a salvage yard was fairly easy and I found one for $200.00 and the front drive shaft was about $90.00
This conversion is not too difficult if you have time and tools and some mechanic skills. You will run into little problems along the way but nothing that can't be solved.

Important: when you pick up the parts you need from the salvage yard be sure to get the nuts and bolts that are needed to install what your picking up (transfer case to transmission bolts, drive shaft to yoke bolts ect.) Let the guy at the salvage yard know what your doing and maybe he can help you with what your gonna need.

Good luck and if you have anymore questions post em here and i will try and answer them the best I can.

keep us posted on your progress BigRy

Quick Reply: 2005 6.0 2wd to 4wd conversion