1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F100 Build Thread "A Family Affair"

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies and tips so far.

I have a question that I don't want to ask...because I don't know if I'll like the answer. But here it goes.

Any ideas what is going on with the frame here? It does not look bent (to the naked eye) but it's really strange the way it is pinched in here.

It's the top and bottom of that section. My first thought is that it was in some sort of accident, and that that is why the front sheet metal is off the truck and that I have the incorrect grill...

But I'm not sure, because the front fenders are there (maybe not original?)

I may never know the details of why the front sheet metal is off, and that is ok.

More importantly...

How do I check to see if the frame is still square?

Any ideas (other than an accident) as to why the frame would be bent in here?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First, you'll need a diagram of the frame's measurement specs. Second, make sure you have a level ground and place the frame on jack stands with the vehicle not touching the ground. Then, with the diagram in hand, start measuring.

Can you see if the front section of the frame has sway towards the passenger side? Are the front and rear edges of both frame rails at different positions (not even with each other)?

Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
start measuring.

Can you see if the front section of the frame has sway towards the passenger side? Are the front and rear edges of both frame rails at different positions (not even with each other)?
Thanks for the ideas. It definitely doesn't appear to have sway or be bent to the naked eye.

I have been so busy, I haven't had much of a chance to spend time on the truck yet. I put a tire on it yesterday and today (after going to the F100 supernats) my brother and dad picked up the truck and hauled it to Nashville.

I picked up a few swap meet pieces...had to resist buying everything in sight!

Hopefully...the fun will begin soon!

Old 05-21-2012, 03:01 PM
ETFord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a chance to look at it closer yesterday and it looks like it's a very solid foundation. I'm going to work on cleaning it up a little tonight before we push it in the garage.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ETFord
I had a chance to look at it closer yesterday and it looks like it's a very solid foundation. I'm going to work on cleaning it up a little tonight before we push it in the garage.
Apparently my brother has joined the forum...Welcome!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Moving along. Got the truck stowed away in my dad's crowded 2 car garage. It's tight, but I'm not complaining. At least it's out of the elements, and I'm grateful he let me put it in there.

nice and cozy

Also, we decided to use the 351m and c6 from a '79 f150. I know it's not the most popular motor, but the front end is tight (for the disc conversion on the '65 F100) and it runs strong. All parts are there and we're excited to be a little closer to getting the '56 up and running.

Here is the donor.

The tires have a lot of tread and the radiator and carb are in good shape.

We got a chance to start some disassembly this weekend.

Might make some good garage art...

We were pleasantly surprised to lift the cowl vent and see it was in great condition!

The little guys helping out. Of course all the kids/grandkids call it "mater." It's slightly offensive.

Saturday was spent fighting/setting up this swingset for the grandkids and celebrating my mom's birthday...so no truck time. Slow and steady...priorities...

Next part of the plan is to get the motor and tranny out. We're going to clean them both up and rebuild the c6. We dont plan on doing any sort of major tear down of the engine, as we just want to get it on the road.

I'm going to order a tubular crossmember for the engine and a transmission mount, most likely from mid fifties. We are keeping the stock suspension, but using down and forward springs...possibly a drop axle later.

There is a 9 inch out of a '69 F100 for sale locally (asking $100) that I have had my eye on. I know it is the right width for the '56. I know the '79 rear end is too wide...but what do you guys think?

Can I use the rear end from the '79 donor? I do not want the tires to stick out of the side of the fenders and I have read that the closest to "bolt on" for a rear end is the 67-72 F100 9 inch.

Thanks for checking out the thread.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Aarons54f100
Senior User
Nice Project! I could only wish my cab looked as nice as yours.

Have you thought about boxing in the frame rails up front? I had to straighten my frame rails, where some point in my trucks life the 351c had bent the rails.

Regarding axle length, There are a lot of rear ends ready to go for our trucks. I used a larger 9 inch, but I have widened rear fenders and a custom wheel/backspace.
Here is a direct link for more information on the topic. You may or may not have already read.
1948 through 1960 Ford F-1 and F-100 Rear Axle (differential) Swaps .: Articles

If your in Nashville, then I'm only 50 minutes north of you. Looks like an awesome project!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Aarons54f100
Nice Project! I could only wish my cab looked as nice as yours.

Have you thought about boxing in the frame rails up front? I had to straighten my frame rails, where some point in my trucks life the 351c had bent the rails.

Regarding axle length, There are a lot of rear ends ready to go for our trucks. I used a larger 9 inch, but I have widened rear fenders and a custom wheel/backspace.
Here is a direct link for more information on the topic. You may or may not have already read.
1948 through 1960 Ford F-1 and F-100 Rear Axle (differential) Swaps .: Articles

If your in Nashville, then I'm only 50 minutes north of you. Looks like an awesome project!
Thanks!

Yeah, we are 30 miles north of Nashville, up 65 in White House.

No plans to box for now. No welding capabilities. The frame measures straight...so we'll see...

Thanks for the article!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
I got a 9" with 3.50 gears out of a '69 F100!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Still collecting parts. I was able to get a passenger side fender, inner fenders, rad support and wind deflectors as a package deal from a guy in town. They are all a bit rough...but nice solid original steel. They should clean up ok for what I'm going for.

been storing stuff in my living room until I can make a trip to Nashville. My roommates haven't complained yet...

Another positive update is that I was able to sell the bed and grill off of the parts truck...I got a little under half of what I paid for the entire truck! So now I can buy more parts....

Thanks to my dad and brother for unbolting the bed and helping get it sold!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Mocked up the front with one fender, inner fender, core support, etc. Wanted to see how things lined up a little. Plus, I just wanted to do something!

We got a tubular crossmember for the motor...but still waiting on a cherry picker to get the motor out and onto a stand.

The transmission is in my brother's garage, where he is supposed to be cleaning it up and going through it. But apparently he thinks taking care of his kids and wife is more important....so that sucks for me and the transmission!

Over Labor Day weekend in Atlanta, we put some air in the tires of my dad's '79 and hauled it out of the weeds where it's been for about 20 years at my grandparent's. Just gotta rent a trailer and get it to Nashville now.

I moved into a new place out in Knoxville. It's nice to have a place to keep stuff out of the rain.

So no real updates. Just moving slowly...like I knew we would but hoped we wouldn't!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Slow and steady.

Over the thanksgiving holiday, all of the family was in town and we were able to spend a little time with the trucks. We even got my brother in law to help! He is a lawyer and said that taking apart a truck was "fascinating!" We are trying to convert him.

I was able to mock up some of the parts I've been collecting. I got the '56 grill and front bumper from a guy who I think is a member on here. It's in great condition and fits the look of the rest of the truck!

I ordered side mirrors form Midfifty for my '65 F100, and one was broken when it arrived, so of course they sent me two new ones! They are the best. So now I have mirrors on the '56...even if there isn't a motor...

We got the front sheet metal off of the '79 and were able to pull the 351 out and get it on a stand. I wanted to test fit it in the '56, but there just isn't enough time in the day. I guess we'll clean up the 351 a little...which means the snowball will start rolling re the engine....

My brother is in the middle of the transmission rebuild. Again, just hard to find time. He's got the overhaul kit and just has to put it back together...

On a side note, we took the front end out of the '79 so we can switch it to the '65 to add power disc brakes. The drums work well, but it needs kingpins..so figured might as well do it all at once. Plus, gonna add the sway bar.

I know my progress is hardly progress at all...but it feels good to get something done and move forward a little!

Hopefully a little more progress at Christmas time....

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey- A little progress is better than none! It all counts. You're really gonna like that disc brake swap on your '65. I did the same thing to my '69 F100, swapped '74 axles and all under it. (no sway bar tho ) Man... night and day difference, love the swap. Even used my factory drum brake booster and it works great. (changed m/c to disc though)

Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
hey schuyler and fam....

good looking truck and i, too, am starting a 54 f-100. ROOM to work is such a big consideration, i can't overstate that. nothing worse that tripping over crap, very frustrating....i have such a great luxury, a 100'pole barn with one bay open on the end, for welding and small painting jobs. oh, and a new 200 amp service. BUT...

you have the best thing of all, your brother and dad.....i'm so jealous, that would be the best thing i could imagine. its great to start with them in tow.

don't apologize for dreaming...and don't stop

quentin in syracuse

Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dano78
Hey- A little progress is better than none! It all counts. You're really gonna like that disc brake swap on your '65. I did the same thing to my '69 F100, swapped '74 axles and all under it. (no sway bar tho ) Man... night and day difference, love the swap. Even used my factory drum brake booster and it works great. (changed m/c to disc though)
Thanks! Yeah, I'm looking forward to the swap. The '65 was my daily driver for a while and is really a great truck. I can't wait to see the difference. I'm still trying to figure out which booster/master to use.

Quick Reply: 1956 F100 Build Thread "A Family Affair"