Sponsored by: Moser

Aftermarket or Stock Air Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 PM
kkrapp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket or Stock Air Cleaner?

I've got a 1979 F250, 351m, that I'm bringing back to life after years in a pole barn. I found a stock air cleaner, complete with the snorkel and tubing, at a junkyard. I've also got a chrome after-market assembly, open-faced. Are there advantages and disadvantages to using either of these? Will either produce better HP or efficiency? or is it really just a matter of what you think looks best? Thanks.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
OEM air cleaner housings are inherently inefficient. An open element air cleaner and filter is worth a few HP and likely, MPG.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
OEM air cleaner housings are inherently inefficient. An open element air cleaner and filter is worth a few HP and likely, MPG.
You're either terribly misinformed or you're a troll. Which one are you.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:21 PM
kkrapp
New User
So we've apparently got two conflicting points of view here. I've heard that the aftermarket air cleaners allow the carb to get more air, but I've also heard that the OEM configuration is more of a cold-air intake and thereby increases performance. Would it stand to reason that the open face is better for stop-and-go, in town driving, and the stock configuration is better when you're on the highway - when the air flowing into the snorkel easier?

There must be 2 different schools of thought on this or else the overall effects are negligible.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:06 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jermafenser
You're a pencilhead and I'm not a troll.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jermafenser
Stupid question, what's a troll?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
bkohne1
Senior User
Somebody needs a hug...

Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
A troll (in internet-speak) is someone who chimes in to simply wreak havoc on a website.

I'm not getting into a pissin' match in here. I've done the research, testing, dyno runs, and have read zillions of articles. I conclude that OEM air cleaner housings tend to be restrictive - especially with this old technology where fluid dynamics was not modeled.

I'm not saying all are bad but an engine will benefit from unrestricted air intake charge. And better yet if it is cool air since cool dense air has more oxygen molecules.

Do your own research and draw your own conclusion. I've got 35 years of wrenching under my belt so it that ain't enough that ain't my problem.

Exit.. stage left.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ahh ok I get it. We're all on here to give and receive educated opinions. Sometimes people may not agree. Not need to get nasty.
IMHO a aftermarket cleaner assembly gives the engine a nice clean look. As far as performance goes I never noticed any difference on my 400.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
The aftermarket unit most likley has less restriction and can flow more air... but (a big one) air from the engine compartment on a summer day can eaisly be 150-160F. Hot. Hot air reduces power and economy. It can also promote pinging. The OE setup, at least on my '78, draws cool air through a tube from the grill area. A big plus.

With stock or near stock engine specs, cool air from the OE setup more than outweighs the flow benefit.

I'd go OE.

I will stay OE unless or until I significantly upgrade the engine. At that point, I'll likley rig up or buy a high flow cool air setup.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
You're a pencilhead and I'm not a troll.
Restoring to insults, now?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 PM
7Ford6
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blue and White
The aftermarket unit most likley has less restriction and can flow more air... but (a big one) air from the engine compartment on a summer day can eaisly be 150-160F. Hot. Hot air reduces power and economy. It can also promote pinging. The OE setup, at least on my '78, draws cool air through a tube from the grill area. A big plus.

With stock or near stock engine specs, cool air from the OE setup more than outweighs the flow benefit.

I'd go OE.

I will stay OE unless or until I significantly upgrade the engine. At that point, I'll likley rig up or buy a high flow cool air setup.

X2 ---

Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 PM
7Ford6
Senior User
Originally Posted by kkrapp
So we've apparently got two conflicting points of view here. I've heard that the aftermarket air cleaners allow the carb to get more air, but I've also heard that the OEM configuration is more of a cold-air intake and thereby increases performance. Would it stand to reason that the open face is better for stop-and-go, in town driving, and the stock configuration is better when you're on the highway - when the air flowing into the snorkel easier?

There must be 2 different schools of thought on this or else the overall effects are negligible.
A few educational links -- About Ram Air Box
== Schmidt Motor Works Ram Air Cleaner
== Spectre Performance - Official Site

Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 AM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Under most conditions a stock air cleaner will do what it is intended to do; filter debris. But they weren't built with performance in mind or there wouldn't be a huge aftermarket for air intake kits.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM
lynn s 460
Junior User
go to summit get the dual snorkle cold air and have the best from both worlds

Quick Reply: Aftermarket or Stock Air Cleaner?