1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing and speed

Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 AM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing and speed

If you were towing something like 10K with your truck on highways, about what speed would you average and think is safe with that load?

The reason I ask is because I recently bought a Chevrolet 2500 (long story) and I joined a Duramax forum for answers to a few questions that I had. One member used his first post to complain that he was given a new work truck (presumably through his employer) that has a factory installed 70mph speed governor and he claims that he will "get run over on the highway" and wanted to know how to remove the governor. I told him that 65-70 is fast enough and that his employer ordered the truck in that configuration for a reason. The other members ripped me talking about how it is okay to drive 80-90+ on some roadways while pulling a load, and even one member posted a photo of his speedometer with the needle buried at 120mph. I had a Ford friend a couple of years ago and he was right when he said the Chevy guys are *********s. I mean really? I just don't think these big trucks should be driven much faster than 70 on public roadways. - END RANT

Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Without a load ?
just be safe as the interstate curvatures, etc.. were designed with 80 mph+ speeds in mind... and most modern tires have a speed rating of 85 at least (when @ max pressure and not blistering hot!)

With a load ?
MOST trailer tires are designed with a spec max of 65 mph ....

I would say let them drive as fast as they want - natural selection at work !
except that me and mine may be on the same roads !!!

NOW, I will admit that before I knew any better - my truck and rv felt solid at MUCH more speed than that, but the cruise is now set at safe speeds !

Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Towing is only as safe as your equipment condition and the speed limits on the highways and conditions. so for example Texas Interstate 10 is set at 75 day time and 65 night time. I've run out there in my Excursion towing close to 10K gross in my enclosed car hauler. 75 mph plus was fine as long as there were not the typical cross winds, when those kick up above 40-45 regardless of your towing safety equipment you probably need to slow down.

IMHO the conditions and equipment will dictate what is safe. There are those that will way exceed that and sure they will do it because they can, but that does not make it right or safe. It sounds to me like the driver you referred to may have a case of sour grapes and as long as his employer sets those limits he has a choice to do what the employer wants or be unemployed. That's why there is a slow lane.

my 2 cents

-Mark

Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
All the ST tires I have ever saw were speed rated at 65mph. There is some cushion there, the rating is conservative and is more for sustained speed but things can happen fast even at 55mph. When your pulling a 10k trailer 65 mph is plenty IMO. Most highways in my area have 55mph or 65mph speed limits however I know some places have higher speed limits.

If the 70mph speed limiter bother him tell him to buy his own truck or find another job.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dkf
When your pulling a 10k trailer 65 mph is plenty IMO.

If the 70mph speed limiter bother him tell him to buy his own truck or find another job.
My point. 65-70 is plenty. I am still being flamed for even suggesting that. Apparently unless I advocate speed law breaking, I am wrong over there. As far as the speed limiter, no, he is not buying his own truck or finding another job, instead he is contacting GM directly to figure out how to remove it as dealers have been no help. I tried to give him advice to keep him out of legal trouble with speed and trouble with his employer for modifying the truck, and I am being asked if I am his father. Why can't anyone take constructive criticism?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Ego, plain and simple.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cay5628
Ego, plain and simple.
And there is plenty of that over there. I really like my Chevy, but I don't like the owners (if the forum members are any indication) whom are the most unhelpful, ignorant people. I really don't care about building up my Duramax to have 600+ hp and adding intake, exhaust, deleting the DPF, etc. I just want answers to simple things and I get no response or ignorant responses. I feel like I am in an environment with all 17 year-olds or at least a room full of people with that mentality level. I enjoy this Ford forum much better where folks are helpful, and act like they have matured past age 25.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:55 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Instead he is contacting GM directly to figure out how to remove it as dealers have been no help.
I say to him, good luck with that. The actual owner of his truck probably has an aftermarket tuner/product on the truck that GM knows nothing about.

If I had an employee pulling what he is and couldn't fire him I would lower the speed limiter to 55 just to **** him off.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Stick to the rating on the trailer tires, please.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jc8825
If you were towing something like 10K with your truck on highways, about what speed would you average and think is safe with that load?

.... he claims that he will "get run over on the highway" and wanted to know how to remove the governor. I told him that 65-70 is fast enough ....
I agree with you. 65-70 mph is plenty fast enough with that sort of load. I've never been bullied on the freeway while towing at that speed. I do try and be courteous and let them pass when possible and stay off to the right etc. I bet the guy that posted that thread hogs the fast lane 24/7...

Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's the nature of the internet. I'd just let it go. Every forum has its own culture and if the wrong attitides are permitted then they become self-perpetuating.

There are people here that tow faster than the posted speed limits and well above their trailer tire's speed capacity (65mph for ST tires as others have stated). Nothing you/we can do about it.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Cold One
Senior User

All I can say is WOW!! If these people really tow at those speeds they will not do it for long. I tow for a living and 70s pleanty fast for most roads and god forbid its my wife or little girl in front of that jackwagon that cant stop!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 PM
cay5628
Elder User
My Interstate Cargo Supercoach trailer originally came with Goodyear 8 ply rated ST tires. Size ST215/75R15. Those lasted about 10K miles then I blew out two on the same day on a trip to Texas. One at about 75 mph in I10 about 100 miles east of Fort Stockton. It did quite a bit of damage to the inner fender and outer skirt when the tread separated. I had two spares, replaced the one and blew a second one at about 40 miles out of Corpus Christi on I37. That was at about 65 mph. No further damage done (same side). I bought replacement 10 ply tires at Discount Tire in Corpus Christi. They have done pretty well so far, but I did have another blowout (tread seperation) near El Centro CA, at about 60 mph. This was about 4000 miles after purchase. Discount Tire paid for that replacement tire. No issues since then.

I keep a logbook for miles put on the trailer and service/repairs done to keep track of so I can service it at a proper interval and manage repairs done.

Trailer tires are not speed rated for much above 65, especially these ST tires found on many of the trailers in service. I experienced 2 catastrophic tire failures in one day. Were they the result of too much speed? Maybe. I can say this, I check tire pressure every day and at every stop check the hubs, tires and couplers/safety chains, then check the lug nut torque about every other day.

I'd like to think I'm prudent about not putting myself or others around me in danger due to poor maintenance, and/or risky behavior in my driving style (IE disconnecting employer safety devices). It is a free country and people will do as they wish, I can say this too, that I'll avoid them if I can but if they become the cause of an incident I'm involved in because of their risky behavior, (IE you bring it to my table), the gloves are off. (End Rant)

Happy motoring, be safe out there and do the right thing. You and your families lives depend on us.

-Mark

Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
does it mean your becoming an old fogey when that young buck pushing a loud 275hp trying to eat your bumper and gets all pissy because you dont wanna pull over into the ditch for his stupid 4$$ at 65 on a back country road just so he can b first to the t intersection in 500 yards...makes you chuckle and shake your head while just letting off the go pedal?

when stupid makes you smile...
xtof

Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I experienced that my flatbeds start to really suck fuel above 70 mph, so don't drive them that fast trailer or not. In CA with trailer we do have 55 mph limit, but I hate to wear brakes on straight and wide downgrades, so I have seen close to 90 mph on more than one occasions. Trailer or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing and speed