Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I weigh the front and rear axles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
luisp1966
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How do I weigh the front and rear axles?

Sharing the following so i can follow the math...
Tow Vehicle Limitations off door sticker:
Excursion GCWR =17,000
Excursion GVWR = 8,600 (i read up that this should include the impact of trailer tongue weight)
Excursion GAWRR = 5,250 GAWRF = 4,100
Per sticker off of Excursion Equipped Hitch, Max. Tow Rating= 12,500 (with WD Hitch) And Max. Tongue Weight Rating = 1,250 (with WD Hitch)

WD Hitch Limitations:
Equalizer WD Hitch and Equalizer 2 5/16 Ball both rated at 12,500 tow capacity and the Tongue Weight Rating at 1,250.

Tandem Axle Boat Trailer Limitations:
Trailer GVWR or (GTWR) = 10,000
Trailer GTW (per Mfrt Cert of Origin) = 1,600

I know how to get the tongue weight by:
1- driving on the scale so that only the truck is on the scale and the tandem axel of the trailer is not ( this provides me with the Excursion weight with the impact of the tongue weight)
2- driving on the scale with the Excursion free of the trailer.
3- subtract 2 from 1 = tongue weight

Ok so I bought an app for my iPhone/ipad called "Tow Check" but it's asking me for the Actual Front and Rear Axle Weights!!!!

Arrrrrrr!!!! I've been searching on the net on how to weigh this. I had used one scale at the city dump but I think I need to go to a CAT Scale that has three platforms so it can weigh each axle per platform? Does this sound correct? It's a long drive to the nearest CAT Scale compared to the city dump. They only knew how to weigh the entire load. Not each axle.

This program I downloaded is asking for both the actual axle weights without the WD Hitch and then with the WD Hitch.

I think I'm within all limits by cross referencing to the weakest link in the towing calculations to be legal. Just can't figure out how to get actual axle weights.

Thanks.

BTW....26 days until I tow my boat from Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale and then head to Bimini Bahama for a week

Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
tims01
Elder User
og to a truck scale ( semi trucks) and ask to get weighted cost like $15 .. can do empty and then with trailer .. also can do just each axle as long as the other axle is off the scale .. then if you want tow trailer to the scale and un hitch and oh my all the weights ...

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM
labman1014
Elder User
Here is what I did, drive just front axle on scale half way of vehicle length. There's ur front axle weight. Now drive forward and leave rear axle and trailer axle on. Get weight. Now drive rear axle off to half way between rear axle and trailer tires. Get that weight and subtract it from rear axle and trailer axle weight and u will have ur rear axle weight.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
labman1014
Elder User
Oh yea, u can do that once with wd and once without.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
luisp1966
Freshman User
Originally Posted by labman1014
Here is what I did, drive just front axle on scale half way of vehicle length. There's ur front axle weight. Now drive forward and leave rear axle and trailer axle on. Get weight. Now drive rear axle off to half way between rear axle and trailer tires. Get that weight and subtract it from rear axle and trailer axle weight and u will have ur rear axle weight.
Thanks!!!

Calculus was much easier. Do you know if they will charge me for each time I weigh per axle?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
most charge whatever they charge ($10 or whatever) and reweighs are free within so many minutes.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM
labman1014
Elder User
Idk what they charge. I was lucky. My dad works for a transport company and I just used their scale during the slow times.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 PM
tims01
Elder User
here make it easyer .. go to one of those hi-way side scales that is closed .. the scale is still turned on and you wont be holding anyone up ...

Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 PM
tims01
Elder User
and its free

Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 PM
rikosintie
Senior User
Go to a CAT scale, at most truck stops. Drive on, stop with front axle on one scale and rear on one scale. Re-weighs are free within a few .minutes. take a step ladder as the microphone and button are at least 8 feet.

The sticker is more a limit of the tires. I checked the specs of the axle a few years ago and it was much higher.
Michael

Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I need to do that to mine. Good thing for me though is my job requires me to carry PAT scales do I can do it at home if I ever get around to it

Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
CAT scales are about $8 at truck stops here in the SE and like they said, ya get 2 weighs for that price. I just poke the call button with a long stick, since I'm always on the road when I've weighed. They will ask you for your truck # - just make one up, I like 0U812. This is how they know which ticket to put your 2nd weigh on.

You can also figure out when the dump is slowest and just ask the scale operator if he'll help you with the method labman described. Take him a dozen doughnuts when you ask!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:54 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
no dice with our dump, they don't weigh by axle, they use a giant scale for your total weight.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:11 PM
luisp1966
Freshman User
If anyone sees anything wrong with the below, please advise...planning on going to a CAT scale in 2 weeks and am already dreading having to load the boat on the trailer, then loading all the cargo up to simulate exactly what the loads will be for my trip in June.

I narrowned down the number of actual weigh ins to 6 based on what I've read on line as well as your inputs here in the forum.

1st weigh in - Tow Vehicle FGAW:
drive just front axle of the Excursion on scale half way of vehicle length.

2nd weigh in - Tow Vehicle GVW:
drive forward so that the front and rear Excursion axles are on the scale and the tandem axel of the trailer is not.

3rd weigh in -Total GCW:
drive forward so that all axles (Excursion and trailer) axles are all on the scale.

4th and 5th weigh ins - to calculate Tow Vehicle RGAW:
A- drive forward so that the front axle of the Excursion is off of the scale and leave the Excursion rear axle and trailer axle on. Get weight.
B- drive the Excursion rear axle off to half way between the rear axle and trailer tires. Get that weight .
C- subtract B from A and you will have you rear axle weight.

6th weigh in - Excursion Weight (without Trailer Attached):
drive on the scale with the Excursion free of the trailer.

Based on the above weigh ins, you can also calculate the following:

Trailer Tongue Weight:
Subtract the Excursion Weight (without Trailer) in Weigh In # 6 above from the Tow Vehicle GVW in Weigh In # 2 above in to get the Tongue Weight.

Trailer GVW:
subtract the Weigh In # 3 above for Total GCW from the Weigh In # 6 above Excursion Weight (without Trailer Attached) to get the Gross Trailer Weight.

Thanks everyone for schooling me.

Lou

Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
The CAT scale will weigh front axle, rear axle and trailer separately at the same time. Confused yet?

The only reason for a 2nd weigh is to adjust WD hitch and see how it affects front axle weight. The WD hitch should allow you to ADD to the front axle weight vs reduce it...

Quick Reply: How do I weigh the front and rear axles?