Sponsored by:

Oil leak and WIF Drain

Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Oil leak and WIF Drain

Man! I think I had a bad run at my local mechanic a couple of months ago:

At my last oil change I gave them my Rotella T6 and my fuel filters for the change. I should have double checked some of this stuff when I never received my last half gallon jug of oil back...

Last night my wife said,"Who's been leaking oil on the driveway?" so I went out to look today and noticed a lot of oil on the underside of my truck! Horrified, I pulled the dipstick to see how low I could have been...oil was at the top of the measuring device!

I looked in the engine valley and it looks like oil is somehow coming out near the oil cooler. Could somebody break that down for me? I wanna be armed for when I go see my mechanic tomorrow.

Also, When they replaced the fuel filters, my WIF light never stopped lighting. I am so concerned that filter wasn't changed...but I went to drain it and the plug is absolutely frozen on there! How could this be if it was drained two months ago?

I've got some issues to go over with him and any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Soon I will buy my own equipment and do my own maintenance as I am soo tired of babysitting mechanics to only then pay them for my wisdom and experiences...anyone else feel me on that?

This was the ONE time I tried to chill and drink coffee in the waiting room and here we go!

BTW this is not a Walmart...Ha!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
dang...no one?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain. It takes quite a while to find a mechanic you can trust. They are out there and they deserve our allegiance when we locate them.

I like doing my own work, but I don't always have the time to do so. Luckily, I found a local shop with a bunch of "Ford Mechanic refugees". These guys know the 6.0L and want to make them right. They are also not constrained by warranty limitations.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Well...here we go...took it for a preliminary exam with my mechanics and they checked it out. It appears that oil was coming out up top near the oil cooler. They degreased the engine and we are going to let it ride til tomorrow and we will se exactly where the oil is coming from.

I hoping it was just too much oil and it was leaking somehow that will never leak again..."I know it my dream shut it!"

The WIF light has not come on again since the mechanic broke the drain nut loose and we drained water out. That thing was so frozen, it begs the question,"I wonder if my mechanics NEVER drain that thing?" I think since they just change the fuel filters all the time, they just figure they don't have to drain it. That screw was frozen...so none has opened that thing in the three fuel filter changes I've done in the last 12 months!

Moral so far: Check that drain plug you guys!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
mine was frozen too, the first time I had to get it off I wondered the same thing, but mine had almost no water in it, fuel didn't look too bad. Good luck with your oil leak, could very well be leaking somewhere due to be overfilled, at least you can keep your fingers crossed.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, I'd consider doing the normal maintenance yourself.
The knowledge you gain is extremely valuable
(as you can see the "corner" shop isn't always such a great deal).
You will then know what tool(s) to keep inside in case while on the
road you get the WIF light.

I've had it come on twice last month, thankfully not much H20.
Also, keep a set of fuel filters so if you get a bad batch of fuel you
don't have to pay retail+ if you can find them.
Ford 6.0 Liter Turbo Diesel Truck Filters, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Transmission Filters And Glow Plugs - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

Free shipping with an order over $250.

By the way, here is a great way to solve draining the HFCM.
I don't have enough room under the 2wd to get to it, so I still need
to use the heavy-duty ramps but a 4wd should be easy easy.
I put a few small bends into 1 brake-line that hung down in the way
and it's been great ever since.

Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module Drain Plug