Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ford reman HD4R100?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ford reman HD4R100?

I'm trying to save for a BTS but I'm not sure if my Trans will last that long so I'm looking at my options. With my discount I can get a HD4R100 from Ford for $2700.00 . Looking for opinions. Do they hold up well, are you happy with it? Thanks for any input.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I went this way when mine went. Knew the service manager at the local dealership and he hooked me up with one installed for $2500. I havent had any problems yet. Have 41,000 miles on it right now. They do have a good warranty, not as good as BTS but pretty good. Have had no issues and I have a DP Tuner on my truck. Hope you have the same experience.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firefighter did ford know you had a DP when they installed it and gave you a waranty?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
CrewCab I'm in the same boat as you. How do you know your trans is going? What is it doing?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM
szotty
Senior User
the ford one i think comes with a 3 yr unlimited mileage warrenty i got mine 2 years ago with that and it has served me well so far i needed one fast and got it for cost through friends garage took 1 day to get to me when ordered it

Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by DemonRace6
CrewCab I'm in the same boat as you. How do you know your trans is going? What is it doing?
My thans seems to shift ok, my problem is if my Trans gets above 150 it pukes fluid out the front pump seal. Below 150 and it doesn't drip a drop at all perfectly dry. The Trans normally runs at aprox 130 butt summer is coming and my temps will be up a bit when it's 90 outside. My truck has 197000 miles and was told its the original Trans. My uneducated guess is that my days are numbered.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
OK, I think I have an issue with my DP not playing well with my trans. 226k miles, original trans. It worked great, smooth, until I put the DP in. I love my DP Tuner, love it, but I need it to work nice with the trans.

Have you looked into the BTS? What is the price difference between HD and BTS?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I have the HD4R100, my 4R100 went all at once from stupidity (too much machismo, not enough mentality). It started slipping at a time when I didn't have a backup vehicle to wait for a JW or BTS. I know somebody who ate his first two HD4R100s, but Ford dialed the installation procedures to prevent this. It's not only a tranny, it's a prescribed parts list and configuration to extend the life of the transmission well beyond the original. My friend that ate two of them? He works at the dealership and plows snow in the winter. They learned altering the stock tune actually aids the life of the transmission.

I have the DP Tuner, and the dealership actually recommended getting the truck chipped - they install Superchips. My tunes first had issue with the dynamics of the HD4R100, and I felt like a couple of teenage boys were sitting behind me - kicking the seat back every time I shifted. I have the F6, so the emails were flying across the country for a short time (report to Jody, emailed tune from Jody). I can now say he nailed it. It's the best-tuned automatic transmission I've used in my life... and I've driven hundreds of vehicles. My wife loves the shifts, the only way we know it happened was the RPMs dropped and the accleration just keeps going. The shifts are not squishy, soft, or slippy - they're just solidly synchronized.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
They knew about the DP-Tuner, but kept it on the down low. I only have one tow burn on my PCM, so I could get it reflashed if needed. My tranny went at 198,000 miles, just after moving back from Georgia, glad it didn't give out on the road.

If my memory serves me correct the JW is $4200 and the BTS is a little more, so still quite a difference from the Ford tranny. I wanted a BTS but it just wasn't in the cards at the time.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Another question. What's the difference in a Pto vs non Pto Trans? The dealer could not tell if I had the Pto Trans by using my vin #. And the hd4r100 was only listed as a Pto Trans.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
pto is for 4x4... right?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Originally Posted by Tugly
I have the DP Tuner, and the dealership actually recommended getting the truck chipped - they install Superchips. My tunes first had issue with the dynamics of the HD4R100, and I felt like a couple of teenage boys were sitting behind me - kicking the seat back every time I shifted. I have the F6, so the emails were flying across the country for a short time (report to Jody, emailed tune from Jody). I can now say he nailed it. It's the best-tuned automatic transmission I've used in my life... and I've driven hundreds of vehicles. My wife loves the shifts, the only way we know it happened was the RPMs dropped and the accleration just keeps going. The shifts are not squishy, soft, or slippy - they're just solidly synchronized.

What dealership did you go to? If its not too far from me maybe I will check them out, my dealership is soooo against chips.

That is exactly what my trans feels like. To the OP, your leak sounds like a different story, you are probably right to be looking into this now before its too late.

I want those smooth shifts!!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
Another question. What's the difference in a Pto vs non Pto Trans? The dealer could not tell if I had the Pto Trans by using my vin #. And the hd4r100 was only listed as a Pto Trans.
PTO stands for Power Take Off. The transmission is mechanically different inside to allow for this feature. There is also a access plate bolted to the driver's side of the transmission case. A typical power device is a hydraulic pump that can be used for aerial or bed actuation equipment. They make electric PTO devices as well (for 120v/240v power generation, etc)

If you have a PTO trans installed, then the high idle feature will work with a simple toggle switch. If you use an exhaust brake, then having a PTO trans is more beneficial than a standard unit. The TSS sensor is different on PTO models as well. Everything else is the same, a PTO trans can be installed in place of a non-PTO unit without any ill effect.

Here is a photo of a PTO trans access plate.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Shake-N-Bake; 05-08-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Wheres the photo?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Never mind, I to slow typing on this phone.

Quick Reply: Ford reman HD4R100?