1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 F250 Leaf Springs

Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 PM
mustangary
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by szold
I have a 2012 F250 with trailer tow, plow prep and the FX4 package. I had a load of dirt and the truck was squatting badly. I was getting my oil changed at the dealer and looked at other F250 without the FX4 package and they had 4 leaf springs. My truck has 3. The dealer couldn’t give me a reason why. Does anyone here know why? They did tell me I have the base leaf springs for load. That got lost in translation. Thanks for any input.
fficeffice" /><O></O>
szold
The "base leaf springs for load" ... are all the 3-packs on the 2012 F-250 the same springs, i.e. rated the same? I have the 6.7L diesel, and am very disappointed in the load capacity. It has the off-road FX4 package, 10,000 GVWR package, and the snowplow package.. the truck is "raked".. hangs about an inch lower in the back with no load on it at all... this is not a truck (old farm boy talking here!!).... great for driving around town... with nothing but some groceries in the back...

Have added air springs (bags) and am thinking of adding an overload spring... or, maybe just get ahold of whole rear spring pack from a F-350... one of their 11200 or 11300 or 11500 spring packs... not sure what to do...

Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM
mustangary
Junior User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
all the single tire rear springs are identical, regardless of package. The reason the other F250 had four springs is because he ordered his truck with the camper package that gave him the top overload spring. And that only hits when the truck squats bad, the reason your truck is squatting so bad is because some freaking idiot at Ford decided that the yuppies who buys these truck for just driving around town complained about the truck being rough so they designed the new springs to be so soft that a F150 can handle the same load now and not squat as much as these new Super Duties. Only thing you can do is get a spring shop to make you a extra spring, buy one from a lift kit company or add airbags to your truck. Its really sad that almost daily someone post on the same thing as you, my BRAND NEW SUPER DUTY CANT HOLD D%CK! All because a small group of people who buy them for the "look only" can make a TRUCK company redesign the main factor of a 3/4 and 1ton truck to such pitaful payload just to have a somewhat smooth ride..... very very sad
"all the single tire rear springs are identical" (am assuming you are talking about the 2012 F-250)... So, could one "bolt on" the F-350 spring pack, instead? The trucks seem identical, except for spring packs... just switch them out, to get a GVWR closer to/identical to the F-350 (which seems to be accomplished with spring ratings, spring packs)...

Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 PM
BrockwayMT
Senior User
I guess it depends on your perspective. The 2011 SD got a lot of praise for it's smooth ride with the new springs.

I'm a fan of timbren springs over more leaves. I run them in the front of my 2008.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little confused by some of the comments here. I have dual add-a-leafs on each side of the rear along with Timbrens. They allow my truck to sit level with over 4000lbs of weight in the back. What confuses me is that before adding these enhancements, I could easily load 1000-1200 lbs in the back with very little, it any, squat (maybe and inch or so) which isn't bad given the level stance when empty. I'm a little skeptical of those who claim 700-800 lbs cause extreme squating. See my previous posts for references to enhancements and videos.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:57 PM
unyalli
Cross-Country
I believe it's the stupid snow plow package. Instead of the standard front springs (5200lb EA I believe) you have 6000lb CC front springs. A truck should sit high in the rear so as you load it and it squats it levels.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
they designed the new springs to be so soft that a F150 can handle the same load now and not squat as much as these new Super Duties. Only thing you can do is get a spring shop to make you a extra spring, buy one from a lift kit company or add airbags to your truck.
I love it. Works out really well for me. An F150 isn't an option for me pulling ~15k goosenecks and 5th wheels, but I also drive my tow rig to work and back, and the "soft spring" and air bag combination is simple and awesome. Great ride around town and on the highway (for what it is) while it can handle heavy loads like a dream.

I don't know whether all your angry assumptions are correct, but if they are, then they did a great job as far as I'm concerned. I never expected an F250 to haul 17k worth of gooseneck and payload without squat. My buddy's old '01 F350 with the heavy hauler package (two complete spring packs for the old-school style lift) wouldn't squat at all, but it also rode like an empty dump truck and bucked like a bronco off road. I'll take civility and adjustability over steel-girder-like springs for the occasional/rare "just in case" overload scenario. No stock F250 should be expected to be a dedicated heavy hauler work truck. That's not what they're for, nor is that how they're sold.

Originally Posted by mustangary
Do you also have the overload spring? Seems to me the truck "wobbles" around a bit in the back when airbags are inflated heavily.. wondering if the overload springs would also help stabilize it.
What do you mean "wobbles" exactly? Sounds like you're not running high enough tire pressure...

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I'm a little confused by some of the comments here. I have dual add-a-leafs on each side of the rear along with Timbrens. They allow my truck to sit level with over 4000lbs of weight in the back. What confuses me is that before adding these enhancements, I could easily load 1000-1200 lbs in the back with very little, it any, squat (maybe and inch or so) which isn't bad given the level stance when empty. I'm a little skeptical of those who claim 700-800 lbs cause extreme squating.
This is the internet. You have to take silliness like that with a grain of salt. Hopefully most people aren't gullible enough to take those kinds of things at face value.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 PM
falloutboy89
New User
Originally Posted by IronCobra
I'm a little confused by some of the comments here. I have dual add-a-leafs on each side of the rear along with Timbrens. They allow my truck to sit level with over 4000lbs of weight in the back. What confuses me is that before adding these enhancements, I could easily load 1000-1200 lbs in the back with very little, it any, squat (maybe and inch or so) which isn't bad given the level stance when empty. I'm a little skeptical of those who claim 700-800 lbs cause extreme squating. See my previous posts for references to enhancements and videos.
IronCobra - Pretty funny - I actually have the exact same truck - color and all. I am experiencing some major squatting. My truck looks lower even when the bed is empty at this point.

I am looking at getting an add-a-leaf and Timbren SES. I noticed you have ProComp Add-A-Leafs... Where did you get them? I cannot find them anywhere. It looks to me like they only have 6"lift kits on-line. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Tallboy2011
New User
Well, I just got my hide goose installation finished and hooked up to my wife's 4 horse slant horse trailer (10 ft living quarters) total length 33ft. Yes betty squated, but I was so impressed with her pulling (empty). My wife is going to pull tomorrow with a full load, I am so excited for her!! May look into some over loads later

Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 AM
6.2gasser
Senior User

This is the sag on mine with at least 1200 lbs. on it. Over 800lb atv with camping gear packed around it and the tongue weight of the trailer. Definitely squatting!

With only the atv in the back it drops exactly 1 inch. When I get some extra cash I want to install air bags to level it off.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:59 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
sorry all F250 and F350 SRW trucks have the same real leaf springs. Its just the F350 has a larger rear block so it sits higher stock and this gives the rear leaf more downtravel so when you load it it doesnt sit as low.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 6.2gasser
This is the sag on mine with at least 1200 lbs. on it. Over 800lb atv with camping gear packed around it and the tongue weight of the trailer. Definitely squatting!

With only the atv in the back it drops exactly 1 inch. When I get some extra cash I want to install air bags to level it off.

this is the reason i tweaked my 2004 rear leaf springs, when i loaded my 2005 660 Grizzley into the bed the truck sagged about an inch or so and when i loaded my 16ft utility trailer with four quads to the hitch the truck was level. No way a 250/350 should sit that low with a 660lb atvin the bed and maybe another 600-800 pound tonque weight behind it. Most i ever had with the stock suspension was a load of cinder blocks and i think it was around 3600lbs, now my truck took the weight but my overloads were both touching and the rear was a good three inches lower than the front! My old 1997 F250 heavy duty carried the same load WAY better than my 04 so thats why i tweaked the rear to my likeing. Since ive had bed full's of fresh cut oak, cheery wood, topsoil, pallet of fresh sod, packing stone and the truck now sits level with almost 4k in the bed,the way Ford should have had the rear springsset up from the factory

Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
there is a company within a few miles of my house (re pierson) they do all the roads in NJ. I talk to this one guy who does the framing for curbs and sidewalks. He just got a new 2012 F350 crew cab long bed CHASSIS truck, it came with seven springs in themain pack plus the top overload spring. He said this is by far the best truck he's had so far working for re pierson. Since he has a utility body on his F350 starting in 2008 his company switched to the chassis cab for all their utility body trucks but the regular work crew gets the standard F350 trucks and he said their payload stinks in nice words. You cant load the bed and pull his trailer without the back bumper almost dragging the ground. He says thats why his company is ordering so many new chassis cab F350 because the added factory rear springs makes it so much safer for the weight they haul EVER DAY

Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,466 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.2gasser

I don't think the squat is bad at all, after all you have weight in the truck and have a trailer that's putting tongue weight on the truck. Maybe a 3'' drop with load? As far vehicles flashing you at night are you driving with your fog lamps on also, those things a bright along with the truck headlamps.

How about a comparison picture with no load in the back and no trailer hooked up.

Now this is excessive squat.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Jon H
Trailering
I put air bags on my 2005 SD within the first month of owning it. They are now one of the "must have" options for my truck. There are just too many variables in the loads I carry to expect a set of leaf springs to work ideally under all of the conditions. They making towing easier and safer, they should be an option from Ford.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
When I ordered my 2013 f350, I asked the salesman jokingly if there was a air bag option. He said if he had a dollar for everyone who asked that question, he wouldn't need to sell cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 F250 Leaf Springs