1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Buying an Expedition - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:32 PM
RavenOne
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Buying an Expedition - Need Advice

Hello everyone. As the title says I'm trying to buy myself a 2003+ Expedition from an auto auction not to far from where I live and wanted some advice. I'm most likely going to end up with one that has a lot of miles on it. I would like some advice on what exactly I should look to replace or problem areas I should keep an eye on.

Is getting the spark plugs all changed a good idea? I hear they break off easy.
Should I change out the belts? I hear there a pain, or was the only for the Explorer?
I hear the alternator is also a problem area. Should I change that aswell?

I plan on putting on new rotors, tires and brakes (I was going to get EBC Green Stuff pads) and a new battery. What else should I expect to replace?

What about an engine swap? My engine knowledge isn't very extensive, what options would I have if I was going to swap the engine?

I'm a first time Ford/Truck/SUV owner so any and all advice would be very helpful. Thank you in advance!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:28 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RavenOne
Hello everyone. As the title says I'm trying to buy myself a 2003+ Expedition from an auto auction not to far from where I live and wanted some advice. I'm most likely going to end up with one that has a lot of miles on it. I would like some advice on what exactly I should look to replace or problem areas I should keep an eye on.

Is getting the spark plugs all changed a good idea? I hear they break off easy.
Should I change out the belts? I hear there a pain, or was the only for the Explorer?
I hear the alternator is also a problem area. Should I change that aswell?

I plan on putting on new rotors, tires and brakes (I was going to get EBC Green Stuff pads) and a new battery. What else should I expect to replace?

What about an engine swap? My engine knowledge isn't very extensive, what options would I have if I was going to swap the engine?

I'm a first time Ford/Truck/SUV owner so any and all advice would be very helpful. Thank you in advance!
Plugs are a good idea depending on their mileage. You have the one piece type so no issue with breakage. However, threads aren't too deep so be careful when torquing. The coil paks do go bad resulting in running rough. The plugs are really a pain to change in the back two cylinders. Invest in an OBD testing tool to eliminate guesswork.
Serpentine belts are always a good idea too. They are easy to replace with a 1/2" ratchet type breaker bar.
I'd only change the alternator if it isn't working. They are super easy to change.
The other things like battery, tires, and brakes are just a matter of the last time done.
The front brake pads are simple, the rears are more complicated if you need to replace the parking brake pads.
Not sure the concern about an engine change out but this truck had only the 4.6 or 5.4l.
We really need the mileage first, burning or using oil, etc to think about that.
Check the rear wheel seals as they go bad too. Not good to run the rear axle low of fluid, nor the brakes full of grease.
Good luck.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 PM
cbrown9064
Laughing Gas

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
I have a bad taste in my mouth recently on used vehicles. I would stay away from the auction unless it is a really good deal. I mean really good. The reason for saying that is you have no idea of the MX history.

VCT (Variable Cam Timing) solenoids will need to be replaced on a 3 valve if they have not already. There have been problems with lifters and cams. I just replaced a IMRC (intake manifold runner control) valve on my 06 to the tune of $1100.

With the VCT and IMRC issues I have had in the last six months, I have over $3k in repairs. I bought mine used in the summer of 2012 with 94k, now it has 104k, so not many miles in between.

I think you would be much better off trying to find one at a lot somewhere that you can visit with the previous owner and see what was done. At least that way you can factor repairs into your purchase price.

With an auction it is a crap shoot...

My $0.02.

Chris

Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrown9064
I have a bad taste in my mouth recently on used vehicles.
Next time pay with money.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:35 PM
cbrown9064
Laughing Gas

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
Next time pay with money.
Darn it! I knew I did something wrong there...

Old 11-03-2013, 07:48 AM
rocknrotty
Junior User
On my '06 the only real prob i have had is the cats pluged up robbing huge power from motor since i do not have insp. here i had muffler shop cut them out. what a diff. in power and fuel milage. other than that what r2millers said.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 PM
peanutscreams
New User
Well I'll just throw this in for you RavenOne. I purchased my 2005 Expedition in 2009 with around 42,000 miles on it. It still runs great with around 90,000. Have driven it cross country very comfortably from Oregon to NY and back 6 times, going again next month. Never had a problem with anything on this vehicle - until just recently, I replaced a small volume speaker and a blower resistor. Neither had to be replaced but they were shot, so for convenience I did so.

Check it out really good, If you really like it and you do get this vehicle, I'd say you'll probably be pleased for a long time.

Butch B

Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Last time I spoke to the ford dealer, a new 5.4 cost $5k. So not too bad if you had to. These motors are great and easy to work on since there isn't very many parts in it. Most of them are out of it and that is a different story. You could probably fix whatever might arise for cheap and they are solid and strong, reliable motors when they are running good and you take care of them.

Mine is at 172,000 with a fair amount of repairs but we neglected to take care of it due to repairs hogging all maintenance money. The motor has been very good though since we finally started taking care of her and putting the right oil filter with the anti-drain back valve and other things like synthetic and stuff. Last repair was 70,000 miles ago. That's a lot of starts and full throttle runs since then and she doesn't complain.

But she also sat around a few months (5-10) of her life. They all have to have things changed and this motor just needed it all early in its life. But I've heard people going 250k with no work.

Great trucks. Worth every penny. But even with all the probs, we've never been left stranded by her.

Oh. And most importantly, original cams phasers in it.