2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator
Old 11-20-2014, 05:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Fog Light Mod

Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 PM
ZeroTucker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Light Mod

Any of you Expy guys do a Fog Light Mod (fog lights stay on with high beams)?? I did this on my F250 and love it. My wife just got her 2007 Expedition and wants her fog lights to stay on with her high beams.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:58 AM
chuck s
Elder User
I'd like to find a way to use them as day time running lights.

-- Chuck

Old 01-15-2011, 02:56 PM
TIKT B8
Senior User
I dont know and I have searched little but have found nothing. If you find it please post up. I did this on my old chevy and it took 5 minutes with a relay and worked great.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM
ZeroTucker
Senior User
I really just need to get my hands on a wiring diagram and I could figure it out. On my F250, there is a switched ground (relay) that the high beams/fog lights share and only one set of lights can get the ground at a time. It was as simple as giving the fog lights a permanent ground so they operate independently of the high beams.

I love being able to utilize high beams with fogs, it really lights up the road at night and I still have the factory look of my truck.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:53 PM
xlt-sport
New User
Originally Posted by chuck s
I'd like to find a way to use them as day time running lights.

-- Chuck
turn your headlight switch to the left and pull out.

you have fog light DRL's

Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM
chuck s
Elder User
Actually rotating right to the parking light setting (clockwise one click) and pulling out will illuminate the fog lights. And the parking lights, and side markers, and taillights, and instrument lights, etc. Don't want all the lights on, just the fogs.

-- Chuck

Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
xlt-sport
New User
if you do as i suggest, you will have what you wished for.

turn **** LEFT.

the fogs [and fogs only] will come on with the ignition.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 AM
chuck s
Elder User
That's the position my light switch is in 99% of the time so the lights come on automatically at dusk. No fog lights until it gets dark enough for them all to come on. What am I missing?

-- Chuck

Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM
xlt-sport
New User
turn switch left and pull out.

if you have at least an xlt, with factory fogs. this will give you drl's

Old 02-17-2011, 05:32 PM
chuck s
Elder User
Doesn't work on my '07 XLT (with fog lights)...

-- Chuck

Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 AM
ExpeditionJim
New User
Fog Lights On with Headlights in Daylight...Cover the Sensor

Originally Posted by chuck s
That's the position my light switch is in 99% of the time so the lights come on automatically at dusk. No fog lights until it gets dark enough for them all to come on. What am I missing?

-- Chuck
I like full illumination in the daytime to be more visible to other drivers. I'm going to try covering up the daylight sensor with black vinyl and see if it lets me run my fog lights and headlights in the daytime.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:31 AM
ExpeditionJim
New User
Originally Posted by ZeroTucker
I really just need to get my hands on a wiring diagram and I could figure it out. On my F250, there is a switched ground (relay) that the high beams/fog lights share and only one set of lights can get the ground at a time. It was as simple as giving the fog lights a permanent ground so they operate independently of the high beams.

I love being able to utilize high beams with fogs, it really lights up the road at night and I still have the factory look of my truck.
Can someone please explain/document the modification for the 08 Expy to make the fog lights stay on (at night) when the high beams are on?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
thinksnow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
ExpeditionJim
New User
Hi ThinkSnow...

The BriteBox seems to be designed to turn on the lowbeam filaments when the highbeams are on.

I don't want that...I want my FOG lights to be on when my highbeams are on. Does the BrightBox do that?

Also, your application list does not include the 2008 Expedition. Do you make a BriteBox for that model?

UPDATE: ThinkSnow, I must have been looking at your old web site that I found by searching for "brite box" on Google. The applications page on your new site linked in your sig showed the BriteBox I need for my 08 Expedition with DRLs is the "Fogster 8.5.12" which I just found on Amazon for $99 and free shipping and no tax. I have ordered it. YAY!

I will also be installing 55 watt HID hi/low headlight bulbs and ballasts and 55 watt HID fog light bulbs and ballasts at the same time.

I won't be able to run the high and low beams at the same time because the HID hi/lo bulbs have a solenoid in the lamp that physically moves the bulb in or out relative to the reflector. But I WILL be able to have the high beam HID headlights and the HID fog lights on at the same time, which will be great!

I wish someone would make a true two-bulb HID unit (different than the HID/halogen unit) that would simply mechanically expose the already-on high beam HID bulb when the high beams are turned on. The high beam bulb would have to be on all the time because of the warmup period that is required for HID lamps. Of course this would require two ballast units per headlight, but that would be amazing to have the light from two HID bulbs on simultaneously at the high beam position! Hmmm, maybe I'll go down to TechShop (www.techshop.ws) today and start working on a prototype.

Thank you!

Last edited by ExpeditionJim; 04-04-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Found new information.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 PM
thinksnow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, I don't want to mislead anyone. I don't sell these, I only knew of them because i had one on my 02 F250. Looking at the application guide it does list expys thru 2010 and does have a module that will turn on the low beams, high beams, and fog lights all at the same time; I think that is refered to as day light LOL.

http://www.innovadd.com/bb.app.guides/bb.apps.ford.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog Light Mod