Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose shifter anybody?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:13 PM
F250_JR
Senior User
F250_JR is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Loose shifter anybody?

I've had a loose shifter ever since I bought my truck a couple of years ago. I already tightened those two torx bolts underneath the steering column, and that didn't really fix it completely. I'm pretty sure the bushings in the shifter assembly are shot...

So I was searching around and I found this excellent write up in the super duty forum. Figured I'd share with you guys...just scroll down to the bottom of the page and there's a REALLY good write up of the entire rebuild process, along with some really good pics. I know this is not an uncommon problem in our trucks, I've seen lots of threads about loose shifters, I'd just never seen a really good write up for the entire, intensive rebuild process, especially with good pictures too.

If any of you have loose shifter, might want to just bookmark that thread. I'm doing that for a weekend project in the near future.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-rebuild.html

Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
BadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud of
Thanks for passing that along. Once I tightened the 2 torx bolts my shifter problem was cured. But that is good info to have on hand just in case.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 PM
F250_JR
Senior User
F250_JR is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz View Post
Thanks for passing that along. Once I tightened the 2 torx bolts my shifter problem was cured. But that is good info to have on hand just in case.

pretty much what I thought when I saw it...up to the top again

Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.JonathanN has a great reputation on FTE.
Yeah, bushings go bad, but so do the shift tube and plunger... they're only pot metal. Have to check them out when you get it apart, but it's not a bad job. When you get done, you may have to adjust the linkage at the trans, though. Took me several shots to get it right.