1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Light Flashes and Stays On?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Scottay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Light Flashes and Stays On?

2001, F350, V10, 4x4, LB, Supercab: The airbag light on the instrument cluster flashes a couple of times then goes off and repeats this cycle once or twice then stays on. Happened yesterday while towing a #6000 boat and trailer. Last weekend towed my #9000 fifth wheel without any incident. This did happen once before about three years ago while towing, but after shutting off and re-starting the truck, it never re-occurred…...until yesterday. And of course it just came out of warranty about 2,000 miles ago. I did a search this morning but it came up with MANY different psosibilities on other Ford models but could not find anything on the Super Duties. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Much thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All the light means is there is a problem with the Airbag system. It is very hard to say what the problem is. Usually people just get the chime, and it turns out the bulb is burned out, but if your bulb is flashing that isn't it. Go through all of your fuses with a test light and make sure that none are burned out. Other than that I think you are going to have to take it to a dealer, Unless someone else here has any ideas.

Edit/ I just thought, some people have trouble with the wiring harness in the steering wheel column either chaffing or the connector pulling loose. You could pull the bottom cover off your steering column and verify if that is the issue.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
muleburrow
Freshman User
air bag codes

Hi there
air bag flashes a code I had a 27 two flashes then seven flashes. Count yours and do a search on airbag codes. I have a 99 f250 and here is the fix for code 27 wich is the light bulb in the passenger shutoff switch.

Code 27 count the number the airbag light blinks when you start the engine. that is how to get the code. I had a 27 heres how i fixed it.
Items required: Source is Radio Shack
1. RS part # 276-351 5MM Yellow LED 2.1 Volt 20 MA (2 in package)$2.49
2. RS part # 271-1325 2.2K ohm resistor (5 pack) $.99
Procedure:
1. Remove the PAD switch housing cover plate by prying it downward and popping it off.
2. Remove 3 sheet metal screws holding PAD housing to dash, unit should drop down.
3. Remove electrical connector from PAD unit by pressing release tang on top side and pull connector out.
Remove 2 screws holding PAD unit to housing, and remove
4. Using a small screwdriver, pry the top of the PAD unit cover off. Start at the backside next to where the wire connector inserts. Be careful not to break plastic retainers.
5. Remove the circuit board from the PAD key housing (Just lift it up)
6.Using a voltmeter set on 10X Ohms scale, measure across the lamp leads. If no deflection of meter is seen, lamp is open (burned out.
If meter moves, then a fault in the wiring is indicated.
7. Using a small pencil soldering iron, remove the lamp from the circuit board.
8. Holding the circuit board so as to orient the components up and wiring connector away from your body, solder in one of the LED's.
The LED should have 1 lead longer than the other, place the longer lead to your left and solder it in place.
9. Flip the circuit board over to expose the wiring path side.
10. Using an exacto knife or other cutting instrument, cut a hole in(open up) the wiring path between the outermost LED wire and wiring connector.
11. Solder one of the resistors across the just opened up wiring path.
If you did all this right, you can plug the board into harness and test by turning the key on. The LED should light momentarily during the airbag test sequence, then extinguish. Codes should not flash on the dash lamp. If all this is OK, then reassemble all parts, and you just saved yourself 70 bucks.
If the LED does not light, double check that you got the polarity of the LED correct.
Thanks to all on the Ranger forum and F150 forum for the help.
Shame on Ford for the sloppy engineering (or intentional gouging) as the case may be.
Muleburrow

Last edited by muleburrow; 06-04-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 PM
broncobilly66
Senior User
what if you don't have a "PAD switch housing cover plate" I have the same prob. flashing 27 and my dash (2000 f250) is all one piece, no seperate panel , sooo i have to pull the dash , right?? what is the easyest way to do that? sorry for the hyjack but i think we have the same prob.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
To pull the dash:

Put parking brake on.

Turn ignition to on but do not start.

Shift truck into 1st gear (lever all the way down) if automatic transmission.

Tilt steering wheel all the way down if equipped.

Grab main dash panel above gauges and pull towards body. The clips should let loose. Work your way left to the door and then right to the passenger side.

Once dash panel is loose, reach behind it and disconnect all wiring connectors. Some will go to switches, others will just be held in place by plastic clips on the back of the panel.

There you go.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Scottay
Senior User
Code #47: Passenger seat belt tension problem. The second dealer I called actually helped me over the phone, said it is either the belt recoiler or the buckle. If I chose to have it repaired the recoiler replacement would be about $150.00 (installed), or the buckle about $160.00 (installed). I pulled the belt out all the way and it recoiled all the way back in and the light went out...cost: free.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Glad you got it figured out. And thanks for posting the fix so others with similar problems can figure it out easier.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Josh Medley
New User
I recently did the airbag light fix due to code 27 and worked awsome.. $3 led with built in resistor from radio shack a little souter and wa- la.. if you don't want to go through the hassle of figuring out which one to buy the part # is 276-0272 orange led.. Hope this helps anybody looking to do a cheap and easy fix...