Mouse in the cab - how'd he get in? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Mouse in the cab - how'd he get in?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM
madpogue
Post Fiend
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold
Mouse in the cab - how'd he get in?

'95 F250 PSD 4x4 ECLB ZF5 79500 miles - A mouse managed to set up housekeeping in the cab. Pretty sure we picked him up on a run to Denver earlier in the week. He _might_ have climbed in somehow when we had a door or vent window open, or maybe the beer window. But we're thinking he found a way through a hole in the firewall. Wonder if anyone knows what particular places to look for, or if there's some other passage in from the outside. Hmm, is there a diagram of the firewall panel, showing what is cut out?

Edit - anybody know if any of those sonic / ultrasound solutions work for keeping the little buggers out? This might sound like a weird question, but if we set one up, and we have our cats sleeping in the cab, would the sonic device hurt them? (Alas, they used to be mouse hunters, but have retired and become too well-fed and lazy.)

Old 05-06-2012, 01:40 AM
CJM8515
Elder User
CJM8515 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Moth *****. Get an old sock and fill it, place wherever you dont want them-they wont go near it.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:07 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster
ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.
Also heard that Bounce drier sheets repel mice and 'skeeterz. Smells better too.

Y M M V !

Old 05-06-2012, 07:03 AM
mejonz
Senior User
mejonz is starting off with a positive reputation.
that sleeping cat may have brought it in to play with and it got away. my cats used to catch mice then play with them and sometimes they would get away

Old 05-06-2012, 02:05 PM
madpogue
Post Fiend
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold
Well, the cats never left the cab. And moth ***** and the fragrance in the dryer sheets would be toxic to us. I was looking for ways to figure out where the little buggers got in, and seal up the gaps/holes.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
He got in thru the cowl drain hole. Worked his way up in the cowl. Thru the heater box and into the cab

The drain is a Little rubber boot. There is one on either side. The boots fall apart, get wedged open by debis, etc
here is one of the drivers side on.(fender is off in pic)

Old 05-06-2012, 04:17 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster
ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
And moth ***** and the fragrance in the dryer sheets would be toxic to us.
Moth ***** would be a bit overwhelming but a drier sheet toxic??

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
He got in thru the cowl drain hole. Worked his way up in the cowl. Thru the heater box and into the cab

The drain is a Little rubber boot. There is one on either side. The boots fall apart, get wedged open by debis, etc
here is one of the drivers side on.(fender is off in pic)
Quite likely !!Generally referred to as a cow p........(genitalia). They use the same thing as drains on big-rig air filter assemblies (Donaldson)

Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM
madpogue
Post Fiend
I know what you mean; the air box on our tractor has one. IIRC, our stock air boxes have one, right? (I forget; we're running 6637s...) Anyway, that sounds likely; thanks Brad. Now the challenge - obviously I can't just seal it off. Maybe a bit of window screen over the, er..., orifice....

And yes, anything with an artificial fragrance, such as a dryer sheet, detergent or soap with an added fragrance, etc., is toxic.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster
Not being able to come up with a part number got the best of me so I pulled one off.
Engineering number E0TZ1002854AA. I think the part number is E0TZ1002207A "Tube Cowl Side Vent Drain" but cannot confirm that.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 PM
madpogue
Post Fiend
Think you nailed it, Brad. I couldn't see them, but I could reach up/in and feel them. They're both plugged up with ook, and with both, the top edge has pulled away from the edge of the hole in the firewall. So I'm guessing they're torn. Gotta pull the inner fenders off to determine what to do next with 'em; maybe they can be repaired.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
You can clean them out pretty easy.

Pull the inner kick panel. There will be a galvanized plate held on w 4 screws(8mm in think). You then can reach in and clean out all the crap. Then take the hose and give a thorough rinsing.

When Ford went to the perforated cowl back in 87 if alleviated alot of the problems with those getting plugged but it wasnt a fix all

Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 PM
madpogue
Post Fiend
You mean from inside the cab? That galvanized panel?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Yup. it is about 4x6

Old 05-10-2012, 11:49 PM
madpogue
Post Fiend
Thanks, both you guys. Well I started on the passenger side. Soon as I got the panel off, there's a huge nest, and two of 'em lookin' at me like "wha...who the hell are you?" One escaped through the hole, and the other wriggled out of my (gloved) hand and ran into the next-door neigbor's yard. Still not very good access to the cow-you-know-what itself, and it won't stay in place around the opening. The outside is pulling away from the edge of the hole; I'm sure that's how they got in. I'm hoping I can tape it in place.

But I'm stumped on the driver's side. Got the trim off, moved the parking brake release gizmo out of the way, removed the hood release, disconnected and unfastened the PCM and pushed it as far forward as it would go, but I'm not seeing any access panel/plate on that side to get to the rubber part. It's all body sheet metal in there. WTF? Is there something else I have to remove? I figure if I fix it on the passenger side, it won't do any good; they'll just go in through the driver's side (it's doing that same thing, with the outside pulling away from the edge of the hole).

I've got the thing all apart tonight, so if anyone's reading tonight and can reply, it'd be appreciated, so I can put it back together. Still gotta do this on the other truck, just for good measure.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Wish I could help you on the drivers side. It has been a while since I have had one apart to further assist you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mouse in the cab - how'd he get in?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.