1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 F250 7.3 Powerstroke diesel starting problems

Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
End of the Road
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 F250 7.3 Powerstroke diesel starting problems

Hey all, I have just purchased a used f250 7.3 powerstroke diesel that is in good condition and I believe well maintained. Regular oil changes, air filter, fuel filter, batteries, etc... It preferred to be plugged in to assist starting and every once in a while would require coaxing with gas to get it going. The one day it did not start. I tried too many times and drained the batteries. It failed out of town so with limited supplies it sat for a month. I had a local shop try to diagnose but all they did was replace the relay and it still did not work. I took matters into my own hands last weekend I replaced all glowplugs with new valve cover gasket so the harness was new. Install went well and once everything was back together and with batteries charged - went to start it and first time just started perfectly . The plug warming light would go out increasingly quicker as the engine warmed. I felt great and for the next four days it was like a new truck starting every time with less cranks than ever before. I drove the truck to work in the morning on day 4 and back home for lunch and after lunch went to start it again and ?? just cranking - no ignition. Tried it several more times then left it. back the next day just cranking. Checked all the connections and fine. any ideas?

thank you

Old 05-04-2012, 12:09 PM
yoslick
Elder User
Tach moving when cranking? White smoke out the tail pipe? Sounds like CPS failure, also pop the top on the fuel filter and see whats in there, changed it lately?? Hows the engine oil level?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,930 Likes on 1,211 Posts
CPS is where I would start at this point. A month ago I was driving down the road and with no warning at all, I was coasting to the side of the road. Got the rig towed home, with terrible nightmares of all of the things that could be wrong. Changed the CPS (with a Ford CPS) and she was back purring like a kitten.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:21 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Welcome to the forum.
Do you still has the WTS light? Did they change the GPR (glow plug relay) for an OEM, or maybe they install a Starter relay??

Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM
End of the Road
New User
Thanks for the response - yes new fuel filter and fresh oil all topped up. I've looked in and see that that there is plenty of fuel so it seems to pump. I will investigate the CPS. What's your thought as to why the intermittent issue? is that a CPS trait. It seemed to work really well for a few days then no start. Thank yoiu

Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 PM
End of the Road
New User
Hi Thanks yes the WTS light is there and worked. It seemed to hold longer when cold and then as the engine was warmer on later starts it would go out more quickly as you would expect. I am not certain if they used an OEM or starter relay but whatever they did did not fix the issue. It was not until i changed all the glow plugs that I had success starting it.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:01 PM
End of the Road
New User
Thank you - i have heard CPS twice now - any thought as to why it would be an intermittent problem? is this a CPS trait? I mean the truck started for a three months when i first bought it. I had this start issue so changed the glowplugs and it started again for a week - no issues at all - then would not start again.
Thank you

Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,930 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I'm about a year into the powerstroke myself, having switched from 400's and 460's so I am essentially a "newbie" myself when it comes to these engines. A number of people both on the forum and that I have talked to have told me that the CPS is the one spare part I should always have in my tool box and it should be a ford cps, not an autopart store after market one. Silly me, guess what I did not have in my tool box?

In my particular case, I did have an engine cut out (sounded like it went to 4 cylinders for about 10 to 15 seconds, then went back to normal) about 2 weeks before the total shutdown. Upon inspection we found what appeared to be some minor problems and replaced the glow pugs and the UVWH. All was great for 2 weeks until I coasted to the side of the road. Replaced the CPS and it has run flawlessly since.

There are guys in this forum who can give you much better ideas than I can, but I do like to start with the simple things before going to major surgery.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:57 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Ya, cps is very common. Definitely get it from ford or ih. They can be intermittent. Mine was for a long time before I figured it out (before I found this site). I carry 2 spares.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:28 PM
End of the Road
New User
Thank you again for the reply - I will check out the CPS and see where I get - FORD product only!!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by End of the Road
. The plug warming light would go out increasingly quicker as the engine warmed.
Originally Posted by End of the Road
Hi Thanks yes the WTS light is there and worked. It seemed to hold longer when cold and then as the engine was warmer on later starts it would go out more quickly as you would expect.
FYI, the WTS light doesnt indicate the time when the GPs are working, they can be on for till 2 minutes after the light goes off.
Change the CPS as mentioned, charge your batteries and hope that your starter is working well (this beasts needs a lot of juice to run) and try again. Good luck

Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM
End of the Road
New User
Thank you - I will do just that and report back!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
If your tach isn't moving when cranking that is a sign of a bad cam sensor (cps), that's why it was asked right away. Even if it is moving, that doesn't mean its good. They can give some weird symptoms at times and throw a guy off.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 PM
End of the Road
New User
Thank you - OK I think all signs (replies) are pointing to this! Thanks for the responses.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Semims0725
New User
At the end of the road on starting my 95 f250 7.3 powerstroke. Have new aleternator, new starter, both batteries good, and new starter solenoid. Roll start is the only thing I can do for ignition. Turn the key it barely turns amd then just clicking. Checked cables and all are good. Don't know what else to do for it really. Any ideas out there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 F250 7.3 Powerstroke diesel starting problems