6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Nitto told me to kiss it.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nitto told me to kiss it.

I know I know, they are a supporter on here. and I have done my part to support them by running the dura grapplers for a while. Meanwhile, on my 3rd set, one of them formed an "out of round" condition. I was traveling when it started vibrating,,,,bad. I stopped and had it balanced, It took something like 14oz to zero out. There was over half tread left on it. I never just replace 1 tire. I run 80psi and do 2 tires at a time. Put new ones on the back and run them until the tread pattern is square. then I put them on the front. I have been doing this for half a million miles. When I called nitto and asked them if they will do anything to compensate me for the out of round, they kept telling me that it had to be the truck. I did have the ball joints go out on that hub. They said "ah hah, thats ur problem". I said, "You dont think that an out of round tire would cause the ball joints to be stressed?" It was like going over non-stop speed bumps. I wasnt asking for anything to do with the truck. I just asked for maybe a hundred dollar credit towards new nittos, and I will keep running them. Keep in mind the out of round tire had lots of tread left. they kept me on the phone for over an hour, I ended up saying "whats your time worth?, We have spent too much time talking about this without any resolution." The call ended with me saying I guess they are willing to have me bad mouth them for the rest of my life over a hundred dollars. I am prob treading on thin ice with them being a sponsor on here, but ,,,,,I am a supporter on here and this is a free country. I am hoping maybe someone from nitto will see this and want me to keep running their tires. I like the tires but if there is a percentage of their tires that I have to worry about being defective and they dont stand behind them,,,,,,, what would you do??? Would you keep buying them?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:17 AM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
BF Goodrich are an excellent tire, I wouldn't put anything else on my truck. Don't you have warranty on your current tires from the shop you purchased them from?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I ordered them from discount tire direct. they were no help. They said I can ship it to them and they will decide what to do. I did however take it to a nitto dealer to have them inspect it. They told me to call nitto, neverending circle. I need a highway tread. I have been considering the commercial bfg's. Mine are 275/7018. Noone has anything in stock locally. everyone has to order them.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Keep complaining to Discount Tire. I had a Yoko blow out, and after a few emails and phone calls ended up with 5 new Pirellis for the price of the certs($130).

Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM
StumpJumper00
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this won't help you with your current situation but as far a highway treads I have run alot of different tires on our 1 ton service vans and the Michelin LTX M/S2 Lasts the longest and seems to get the best traction with least amount of road noise. My last set went 90K and the only reason I changed them was because I'm **** about my tires and winter was coming.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 AM
fireman660r
Senior User
I run the firestones. They are the newer version of the steeltex that used to be on the 99-03 super duty's. I have had very good luck with them. They are an all-terrain tire, but designed more for highway use. As long as you rotate them every 7-8k miles they should get you anywhere from 70-80k. And a plus is, they are one of the cheaper tires on the market. And my tires are also 275 70-18. I bought this set 18 months ago and have 20k on them now and they still look brand new!!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Keep complaining to Discount Tire. I had a Yoko blow out, and after a few emails and phone calls ended up with 5 new Pirellis for the price of the certs($130).
I've had excellant luck with the Pirelli Scorpions. On my 2nd set. Got 50,000 out of the first. Could have probably gotten another 5 or 10,000 out of them but towing season is here again and they were 7 years old.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 AM
fireman660r
Senior User
Also, for what its worth, the I wanted Michelins and the salesman went out of his way to sell me these instead for about $85 less per tire. He said they are a better tire for the money than the michelins, and he would rather have my business again than sell me one set that I wouldn't like or feel like I got screwed on price. Pretty honest words.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
teppler
Elder User
Nitto tires

I know nothing about Nitto but I finally pulled the trigger on a set of Michelin and have been totally satisfied so far.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my nittos, but if they did that to me, i wouldnt purchase their tires ever again.

As of right now i love my nttos so much they are the only tire ill buy from now on

Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Originally Posted by run6.0run
what would you do??? Would you keep buying them?
absolutely not. sometimes it's the manufacturer, and sometimes
it's the dealer.

case in point... i'm running michelin ltx m/s on the van. they
are great, and have the highest load capacity of anything that
will fit on a stock E-350. alcoa rims. centramatics balancers.

but, it's an econoline... and they eat front tires... i've been driving
them since 1978, and they have always chewed up front tires.
and a set of michelin's are $1,100 mounted and balanced, driving away.

so, americas tire offered me a road hazard warranty for $150, guaranteed
the tires for 60,000 against everything, including econoline front wear.

sure. here's the $150.

after 28,000 miles, and rotations at 5k, the tires are pretty chewed
on the insides, all the way around. i go back, the manager who sold
me the tires says yep.... put 4 new ones on.....

$500, pro rated. done deal.

another 25,000 passes, this time, the guy who sold them to me is
no longer there, and the new manager says they aren't gonna honor
the warranty, but offers me $50 off the price of a new set... says it's
the best he can do.

i've bought seven sets of tires from americas tire in the last 4 years,
and referred people as well.....

so, i have a new set of michelins on my van, and they
WERE NOT BOUGHT FROM AMERICAS TIRE, AS THEY DON'T HONOR
THEIR WRITTEN WARRANTIES.

AND I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM AMERICAS TIRE,
EVER AGAIN.

AND I WILL MAKE A POINT OF MENTIONING THAT, WHENEVER THE
TOPIC COMES UP.

what americas tire DID NOT know, and knows now, is that their
commercial account with a civil engineering firm that has about
250 OTR trucks, was about to get changed to another vendor, as
a result of this poor game choice the branch manager made.

it's always a good policy to keep your word in business.
that "little guy" who doesn't matter might be personal friends with
the operations director of one of your large accounts.

what comes around, just arrived.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
karma is a 8itch isn't it... what goes around comes around.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by StumpJumper00
I know this won't help you with your current situation but as far a highway treads I have run alot of different tires on our 1 ton service vans and the Michelin LTX M/S2 Lasts the longest and seems to get the best traction with least amount of road noise. My last set went 90K and the only reason I changed them was because I'm **** about my tires and winter was coming.

Iv never had a Michelin tire but everyone Iv talked to LOVED them and said they get outstanding Miles with them. Good Ride Good Traction just all around Great Product.

Right now I am running BFG All Terrains 35in Tires they have been a Good tire HWY Noise isnt Bad. They were a 50K tire and they way its looking dont think I will get to much more. I just think a Tire is rated for 50K it should go alittle More say 60K I know thats probably asking to much so IDK.

Now my car (I know thats a whole diffrent can of worms) but had some GoodYear tires and they were Great were Rated for 50K and I got 65K out of them

IDK if Michelin has anything out there thats 35inch and would look Good (6 inch lift with 35s) so my truck kinda Falls into a Diffrent catagory just for the Look so to say but would Love to get a Longer Lasting tire than these BFG All Terain I have Now.

What have you guys found that fits this^^^^^Senereo that will Last longer than 50K. I know a Michelin Car Tire you can get an 85K tire Fairly common. Just wondered if anyone has Come across something similair for a 35in truck tire

Originally Posted by Fulthrotl
what comes around, just arrived.

Very Well Put^^^^^^

Old 07-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Lowe
Junior User
Originally Posted by lakewood
I love my nittos, but if they did that to me, i wouldnt purchase their tires ever again.
2x that.. and I have fiends that run them and they said the same thing.. keep us posted.. all depending on how it turns out for you WE may just decide to buy another label.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
nah, they were adiment that Im a peasant to them. Heck with them. I am now on to goodyear wrangler silent armour. The local goodyear shop took care of me with these and has earned my business. Whats up Nitto??????? Your tires are alright, your customer appreciation sux. I will take my 8 tires a year elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Nitto told me to kiss it.