1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Collector vehicle insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 AM
71mach351
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teardropty
I am with Hagerty and have no complaints so far. My policy states that my vehicle is to be used for "pleasure" and not a daily driver. There is nothing specifically forbidding me from driving my vehicle except for hire and "daily use". It also doesn't state that I must be involved in car show activities or car club use. I know that some of you do want to drive your vehicles on a more daily basis and would probably be best to have a "normal" policy. For me, if I drive my truck 2-3 days per week (that is not daily use in my opinion) then by god my insurance better cover me in the event of an accident. Otherwise, why give me collision coverage and liability coverage? Also, how does your insurance company know every time you leave your driveway and for what purpose? If I get into an accident and have a claim (which has happened in my life), I don't tell everybody and their brother where I was going. It isn't anyone's business. Just my .02.

I also have Hagerty on my Mustangs. I read the policy the same way as teardropty, the cars are used for pleasure and not daily drivers. But the way I see it, they are always a pleasure to drive, therefore, I'm covered.

I've had 2 claims with them with absolutely no problems or questions that were out of the ordinary.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Doraville
I have my auto and home insurance with Liberty Mutual. In order to insure my F1 at full value, they required an appraisal and that the truck be garage kept. They do say that it should be used only for occasional driving, but there is no mileage restriction.

For an appraised value of $22,500 (which I think is low, but that's another story), it costs me $767 per year.

-DV
Perhaps location has much to do with pricing but these kind of prices are what steer folks to the companies specializing and 'wanting' to insure collectables. Many years ago I ran into the same type pricing with SF and had to go to other companies for collectable type insurance. SF has since changed their pricing schedule.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
During my initial hunt I contacted all the online portals, progressive, state farm, etc (see post #7: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11788636)

Well progressive just sent me a "New lower offer" $1200 / year... I'll say it again, anyone who has a "non collector" company be SURE you are covered for what it is really worth, not the standard blue book (year value minus mileage). Actual real replacing coverage on a classic from a normal company is costly - if it isn't costly it probably isn't covering you.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I called Grundy and spoke with a manager in the claims department. I asked if I was taking the vehicle out for a pleasure drive and happened to stop by at the hardware store on the way home to pick up a few items, if there'd be coverage if I got into an accident in the process. I was told that coverage would be afforded because I wasn't using the vehicle as a daily driver or that this isn't something that I do everyday. Basically, I was told that there'd be coverage as long as the vehicle wasn't being used for commercial purposes or as a daily driver.

Additionally, I asked about the stated amount policy. I was told that if my vehicle would be a total from a loss, I would be paid my full insured amount that I have stated on the policy even if the vehicle is valued for less than that amount.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:21 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Most appraisals are overinflated.
True but at least you have that official piece of paper backing you up in case your insurance has a problem with paying you in a total loss event. I also should state to make sure the appraisal place is certified or whatever they need to have to be useful in a legal situation.

I use my panel daily for everything and I plan on towing with it (vintage trailer vacations and other projects) in the future, so I'm staying with my regular insurance.