6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Factory subwoofer upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 PM
jetpilot2
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace the head unit is a piece of cake!! The dash is simple! I had it apart more times than I can count including my cross-country trip when the lock pick took a dump.

Go for it!! Just get the double din and OEM harness adapter and swap it out.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:45 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yikes!?!

I probably will if I keep the truck. I dunno if you've seen but I'm getting a new turbo. If I start seeing more issues in the next couple months I may need to make a change....

Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The dash is so easy to get out! And with the factory/aftermarket adapters and everything anymore, it's almost plug and play (depending on what you get of course)...

I dunno, sometime's it is easier to just pay someone, but then you're left dealing with what possible shortcuts they took. The "installers" that did my truck did such a terrible job I ended up redoing everything myself, along with adding a few extras.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:03 PM
jetpilot2
Tuned
Yeah that's true, but the "installers" should be using the correct harnesses and not taking shortcuts. I should add, I trust the company I use and use them for all my audio upgrades, so I know it's done right and they warranty their install for life.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
You expect that they would be, but unless you're looking over their shoulder, you won't know what they did until you started running into problems. Trustworthy stereo places are few and far between in my neck of the woods, and I unfortunately found another one to add to the list... They gave me a smokin' deal on all my components and I have a warranty on all of it, but the work itself was just garbage. It just reinforced my opinion that if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

It's fine though, I was able to freshen up my own install skills. My system's solid now, as I'm sure yours is, and in my opinion should've come from the factory sounding this good.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Savage & Bullet, you shamed me into it, ran 6 gauge today so should be good to go now. Surprised to see the amp instructions recommended a 50 Amp fuse, guess that thing can really pull some power.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Finally found some time to get the new Sub/Amp installed today and everything worked out well per all the provided help on this thread.

It sounds so much BETTER!

The OEM sub is going straight in the trash where it belongs.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RobFlag
Savage & Bullet, you shamed me into it, ran 6 gauge today so should be good to go now. Surprised to see the amp instructions recommended a 50 Amp fuse, guess that thing can really pull some power.
Better to find that out now that you have the thicker wire!

Originally Posted by _red rocket_
Finally found some time to get the new Sub/Amp installed today and everything worked out well per all the provided help on this thread.

It sounds so much BETTER!

The OEM sub is going straight in the trash where it belongs.
Glad it worked out!

I kept all my factory junk, it's going right back in the truck when the time comes to sell it.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
double post

Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
I kept all my factory junk, it's going right back in the truck when the time comes to sell it.
Completely understand. I bought this truck for the long haul (crossing fingers it lasts) so the OEM speakers all went into the trash.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Wasn't a hard install, just took a little time routing the wiring. Also took a little time finding the time for this timely install...now it's Miller time.

OK, I don't drink Miller but it sounded good.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a subwoofer from my old 7.3 I took out when I sold it.Unfortunately the enclosure is too tall.I think I read through this post and someone intalled a ten inch subwoofer into the stock enclosure?My subwoofer is ten inches too.Would this work?Does the enclosure easily open up?Would it make a difference in sound just replacing the subwoofer?Im not putting a new amp in just replacing the sub if its feasible.Thanks for any insight.I dont want to waste my time if its not possible but I have it laying around if it is.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Nevermind just went through the post again and saw the pics of the factory enclosure.Def would need to hack the hell out of it to make it fit.Scratch that idea.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wasn't pretty, but it did work. After taking a closer look at the factory Sub Amp, I doubt that just replacing the driver would make much difference. It's fed by 18 gauge wire so can't be pushing many watts. Pretty much have to pull the seat to do the driver so might as well do the amp at the same time.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

It wasn't pretty, but it did work. After taking a closer look at the factory Sub Amp, I doubt that just replacing the driver would make much difference. It's fed by 18 gauge wire so can't be pushing many watts. Pretty much have to pull the seat to do the driver so might as well do the amp at the same time.
Agreed.. When I decide to tackle this Ill replace the amp as well. I was in my basement yesterday and saw the old driver I had which gave me the idea.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
I can tell you I replaced the factory driver with a Pioneer 8" shallow driver that is highly recommended by all the reviews I have found and given the way the factory unit is driven (2 sets of outputs from the amp to drive the dual voice coils) I picked one set and that little amp can barely make that Pioneer move. So I am going to put a Rockford R250-1D amp back there and the R250-4 to drive my new JBL 5x7's. I guess the PAC aoem-frd24 will be the interface unit.

Quick Reply: Factory subwoofer upgrade?