6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Buying First Diesel, Need LOTS of opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying First Diesel, Need LOTS of opinions

So, heres my story. Always been a big fan of fords, dad has had them my entire life, so I decided to try something different. Bought a 2012 Dodge 2500 Crew cab SLT (hemi), BIG MISTAKE. Truck only has 1700 miles on it and I HATE IT!!!!

Truck is JUNK. The factory paint is Really messed up, it has ALOT of tiger strippin in it, the tranny shifts at awkward times and the inside door panels are discolored. So I met with a Dodge rep today and he said they would paint the bed and fenders, but when we talked to the Paint shop they told me it would never look rite. So, I asked for a complete paint job and the rep told me NO. Asked him what they would do about the door panels, and he accused me of putting something on them that discolored them. Then I just kinda HIT THE FAN,I told him that I will tell EVERYONE that I encounter NOT TO BUY A DODGE. He said that was fine with him that they sell enough that they dont have to worry about one individual. Then we exchanged words and I had to be held back and the police was called.

Kinda funny since Im 6'6 and 270lbs, not saying that Im a Bad A** but I wouldve swelled his eyes closed.

Anyways, went by the reliable ford dealer and talked about getting a 2012 FX4 Crew cab Powerstroke. Gonna take about a 3K hit but its worth it. Gonna go trade it in Friday.

Heres my questions, since this is my first diesel do I really need a Programmer?

This thing has ALOT of POWER now, do I really need more?

Does it need any additive, the dodge guy told me that fords diesels need some type of additive?

One last question, the one thing that I do want is a exhaust.
What exhaust is the best, dont want screaming loud, just something MILD.

From what people have told me there is ALOT that goes into having a Newer diesel. From the Re-gen additive that you have to put in, and that you have to take major steps in order to put on a exhaust, because of the PCM, since its not like the older days.
Maybe Im getting in WAY OVER MY HEAD? Maybe I should just go with a Gas engine?

From talkng to a couple of guys, seems like I may be making a mistake in getting a "Newer" Diesel.

Any Opinions or Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:33 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CountryD
So, heres my story. Always been a big fan of fords, dad has had them my entire life, so I decided to try something different. Bought a 2012 Dodge 2500 Crew cab SLT (hemi), BIG MISTAKE. Truck only has 1700 miles on it and I HATE IT!!!!

Truck is JUNK. The factory paint is Really messed up, it has ALOT of tiger strippin in it, the tranny shifts at awkward times and the inside door panels are discolored. So I met with a Dodge rep today and he said they would paint the bed and fenders, but when we talked to the Paint shop they told me it would never look rite. So, I asked for a complete paint job and the rep told me NO. Asked him what they would do about the door panels, and he accused me of putting something on them that discolored them. Then I just kinda HIT THE FAN,I told him that I will tell EVERYONE that I encounter NOT TO BUY A DODGE. He said that was fine with him that they sell enough that they dont have to worry about one individual. Then we exchanged words and I had to be held back and the police was called.

Kinda funny since Im 6'6 and 270lbs, not saying that Im a Bad A** but I wouldve swelled his eyes closed.

Anyways, went by the reliable ford dealer and talked about getting a 2012 FX4 Crew cab Powerstroke. Gonna take about a 3K hit but its worth it. Gonna go trade it in Friday.

Heres my questions, since this is my first diesel do I really need a Programmer?

Does it need any additive, the dodge guy told me that fords diesels need some type of additive?

From what people have told me there is ALOT that goes into having a Newer diesel. From the Re-gen additive that you have to put in, and that you have to take major steps in order to put on a exhaust, because of the PCM, since its not like the older days.

From talkng to a couple of guys, seems like I may be making a mistake in getting a "Newer" Diesel.

These things are 400hp and 800lb/ft of torque.. Do you NEED more?

The std exhaust is fine. Just drive the darned thing! I do! No programmer, no additive. And DEF is a no brainer, been done for a long time all over the world.

Sorry you had trouble with the other truck.

Sam

Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
One question, what do you use the truck for?

Towing, hauling, daily driver, work, fun?

Sam

Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had to do it again I would have gotten the 6.2. I love my diesel 6.7. It has more power than you will ever need. If you don't tow the 6.2 is great and also has an awesome exhaust note.

Diesel exhaust fluid needs to be added about 3k miles at $14.00 per 2.5 gal. Not a big deal at all. Oil changes and fuel filter changes are expensive. The fuel filters come in a 2 pack set and cost $146.

My truck is one year old with just 12k miles and I could not be happier with my truck. It can do anything I ask of it with minimal effort. The gas engine will make a bit of sound as the rps are tested on occasion and hauling mpg will suck. It's really a question of what you will be doing with your truck that will answer the diesel vs gas question.

Don't even think about a programmer unless you like pissing away your warranty. You just don't need it. We have a lot of enthusiasts on this forum who have enthusiastically modified their trucks into problems.

If you buy a super duty with the Fx4 off-road package order some Bilstein shocks. The Rancho branded shocks are actually dangerous. Trust me they are crap. The speakers need an easy upgrade too but it's nothing to fret over.

If you want a big heavy truck that can easily smoke tires with neck snapping torque go Ford F-250. The power is outstanding and the tranny is smooth as can be. If you find that you don't need the best of the best check out the F-150 with the 6.2. In my opinion the 150 with 6.2 seems like the best option for a daily driver doing occasional work duty.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Jimax
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fontana
The fuel filters come in a 2 pack set and cost $146.
Ummm, I paid $45 for Motorcraft fuel filters. They were $56 at Advance Auto, and I found a 20% off coupon online. I verified the part number. It's the exact same one that the Ford parts counter sells you.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
These things are 400hp and 800lb/ft of torque.. Do you NEED more?

The std exhaust is fine. Just drive the darned thing! I do! No programmer, no additive. And DEF is a no brainer, been done for a long time all over the world.

Sorry you had trouble with the other truck.

Sam
We both neglected to answer his additive question. What you heard about additive is the PM-22 motor craft diesel additive. It's really only suggested during the winter months as fuel is slightly less potent with winter blends. Something is done to the fuel to prevent gelling in cold. Anyway the 4oz per tank is just helps make a more efficient burn. It's spring now so I won't bother with it until December-March. Pick a gas station that has frequent diesel fuel sales as you want fresh fuel going in your truck.

Don't worry about mods. Drive the heck out of it and enjoy. I actually look forward to my drive to and from work.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jimax
Ummm, I paid $45 for Motorcraft fuel filters. They were $56 at Advance Auto, and I found a 20% off coupon online. I verified the part number. It's the exact same one that the Ford parts counter sells you.
Well I either got the price wrong or I got ripped off. Maybe that is with labor? I'll have to check my invoice tomorrow. I have decided that while I enjoy doing my own oil changes and basic maintenance I will allow my dealership service department handle things while under warranty.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the maintenance package so all I have to do is drive to the dealership, they give me a lift back, do the work and come get me

I responded to your thread in the superduty forum, but one more thing I will say about the def and cost of ownership...

I got an rvpluscard thru good sam for pilot/flying J and used them on this last trip...
they advertise up to 12 cents per gal discount for diesel with the card at the truck lanes... and most of the stops I made had the blue def pumps for in the $2.67 per gal range.... ez fillup at known high volume stations with fast flow pumps, def, and air pumps to fill up my truck and rv tires easily ! Win, Win, win

Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
Originally Posted by CountryD

All salesmen will tell you what they think they know about the competition. You just have to do the research yourself to verify what they are telling you. Here is what I have seen after a year of owning mine.

1. I went from an 06 F-150 to the 11 F-250 diesel for towing my travel trailer. Even though I only tow it in the summer months and its a relatively light trailer, it is a world of difference. There were times in the F-150 I had to step on it to enter a freeway etc - truck went up to 4-5,000 RPM and barely got up to speed. This diesel will get up to 65 mph really quick towing the trailer then chugs along at about 2,000 rpm. One time I floored it because a semi was coming up on me fast. I thought I was going to rip the hitch off my trailer. This thing has a LOT of power and very little lag on the turbo.

2. I live in the south, so I don't need fuel additive in the winter months. The only thing I need to add in addition to fuel is the DEF fluid. It runs me $12 for 2.5 gallons and I add that at each oil change.

3. Oil changes run me about $50-60 because I do them myself. If you have the dealer do it, it's over $100. You only do these when the computer tells you to and for me it's averaging 7,500 miles between changes.

4. Fuel filters run you about $40-45 if you buy them on Amazon or Ebay. You can install these yourself in about 10-15 minutes easily. Some do these every other oil change. I do mine per the manual which is 22,500 miles. Even at that long of an interval, I see very little dirt, grime, etc in the bottom of the filter bowl.

5. The manual also says to drain the water seperator monthly. I did this in the beginning and have only seen 4-5 small dropplets of water total. Last time I did it was after 6 months and only had 2 dropletts that I could see.

6. Mileage for me is 19-21 on the highway (if I go really easy on it). Combined highway and city is usually around 17 mpg/tank. Towing is 12-15. Mileage since driving it off the lot is 17.6 with 23,000 miles.

7. The ride on the FX4 is crap because of the "imitation" Rancho shocks they use. I'm upgrading to Bilstein this weekend at a cost of about $350 (installing myself).

8. As far as tuning, exhaust mods, etc - wait until your warranty is up. Any of that stuff will void your factory warranty. Also, make sure it won't cause you problems with inspections in the state you live in. In Texas, the inspection for diesels is a visual one, but some inspectors will get under the truck and look for your DEF tank, exhaust filter, etc.

Hope this helps. I don't regret my purchase one bit.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Excellent reply, buckmasters!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Fontana
We both neglected to answer his additive question. What you heard about additive is the PM-22 motor craft diesel additive. It's really only suggested during the winter months as fuel is slightly less potent with winter blends. Something is done to the fuel to prevent gelling in cold. Anyway the 4oz per tank is just helps make a more efficient burn. It's spring now so I won't bother with it until December-March. Pick a gas station that has frequent diesel fuel sales as you want fresh fuel going in your truck.

Don't worry about mods. Drive the heck out of it and enjoy. I actually look forward to my drive to and from work.
PM22 is a cetane booster and lube, PM23 is the winter addative.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
I wouldn't be put off by the new diesel, and you won't have to do anything to it to have a great truck. The exhaust is about as quite as you can find for a diesel. Using the fuel additive may not be required but it certainly is advisable. The DEF is a piece of cake, I dump in 5 gallons every oil change, good to go.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Man you guys are great. Appreciate all the info. Im not wanting to really upgrade the Exhaust, just wanting to make it look more EYE appealing. Could I change out the tip or end of the pipe with something else. It just looks terrible factory. And from hearing your guys experiences, Im leaving the diesel alone. Not gonna spend that much money to just TUNE it up.

The reason Iim getting a Diesel is for hauling my 28 ft Fifth wheel from various locations for work. So, I need the extra Geedy Up.

Question, how big of a lift can I go with, without voiding the warranty? My dealer told me mild lift with 35's. Dealer down the road told me 6 inch with 37s and long as it doesnt put pressure or tension on tranny. Any thoughts?

The only this else that I will do is a KICK A** Stereo. And thats it.

Once again, thanks for all the help

Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jimax
We were both right. Filters were $74.00 plus tax. The rest was labor.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I ran a 2002 F250 with the V10, before that a 99 with V10, and pulled my campers up to 8,000 lbs like a dream ..... anywhere. When I bought the 34 foot 5th wheel weighing 10,500 lbs loaded, I decided to go diesel. If you want the extra cost of maintaining the diesel then go for it, but unless your towing over 8,000 lbs I'd go with a gasser all day long.

From what I know the 6.2 is stronger than the V10. I however had a tuner, headers, K&N, and Flowmasters on mine; so I had about 50 HP and 80 TQ over stock numbers for the V10.

This is my first diesel and I've put 32,000 miles on it in the two years since new. I love every mile of it, you can't go wrong with it. I too have the Bilsteins installed and a 2" front leveling kit going in Saturday, and I run 34.6" tall tires basically 35 x 12.50.

Pulling a 5th wheel you can't put a big lift on, if any at all in the rear!! DON'T BUY AN F250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The new F250's are made for guys that want to drive a big truck but not actually pull heavy loads. I say this thinking your 5th wheel may may grow in size one day.

Quick Reply: Buying First Diesel, Need LOTS of opinions